Suddenly my battery life is terrible...?

Al Neri

Reaction score
Today my phone just sitting for four hours with almost no use and it was down to under 70% on the extended battery. The only thing I have recently downloaded was foxfi (which I used once then removed because it put my phone into a funky state which required a battery pull). I have been on the 902 update for a while (completely stock) and had great battery life. The only other change recently was the market switching to Google play. Any suggestions on how to get back the battery life i had before?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
You may want to see if there are any apps that are battery hogs. A couple of apps for this is Watchdog and Bada$$ Battery Monitor (substitute "$$" with 'ss').

I've also found Juice Defender to help. Funny, it didn't with my OG Droid, but it seems to work with the Bionic.

Phoenixk

Reaction score
Juice Defender and anti virus, anti malware apps like lookout kill performance on a Bionic. I spoke with an extremely knowledgeable level 3 Verizon tech person, and he told me so. Once I deleted those apps my DROID BIONIC is lightening fast. Anti virus and anti malware software are constantly scanning and running in the background. You can imagine how that can affect performance. Not to mention the personal information that Lookout obtains from us.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
While I agree with app killers, Juice Defender turns the radios on and off, which should help with battery use.

Watchdog doesn't have to be set to run in the background; you can have look at what's happening when you open the app.

Bada$$ is a nice battery monitor as it sits on the Notifications Bar, gives the battery level in single-digits and gives a wealth of battery information.

mamawm

Reaction score
Today my phone just sitting for four hours with almost no use and it was down to under 70% on the extended battery. The only thing I have recently downloaded was foxfi (which I used once then removed because it put my phone into a funky state which required a battery pull). I have been on the 902 update for a while (completely stock) and had great battery life. The only other change recently was the market switching to Google play. Any suggestions on how to get back the battery life i had before?
exact same thing happened to me yesterday, how strange. nothing new on phone, and i don't use any of those other things either. think i'll do a battery pull and see if it goes back to normal.

PhoebeAnn

Reaction score
I can use my Bionic all day, normal talk and very little data, and when I turn in at night the battery is typically at 80% or higher. If I forget to put in in the nightstand charger, it's dead the next morning. No idea what it's doing overnight to drain the battery to zero, and maybe I don't want to know. I just swap in the spare battery to get going, and put the dead battery in the charger, so it's a nuisance only.

gsDroid

Reaction score
You might try enabling the nighttime battery saver mode which turns off the radios at night.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
If I forget to put in in the nightstand charger, it's dead the next morning.
VERY bizarre... I've seen mine lose AT MOST 10% over 8-9 hours of non-use off the charger while I sleep. I don't use any of the battery saver nighttime modes or anything either.
You could try settings>battery & data manager>touch for usage statistics and see if any app in particular is sucking the life out of your battery...

PhoebeAnn

Reaction score
VERY bizarre... I've seen mine lose AT MOST 10% over 8-9 hours of non-use off the charger while I sleep. I don't use any of the battery saver nighttime modes or anything either.
You could try settings>battery & data manager>touch for usage statistics and see if any app in particular is sucking the life out of your battery...

I'll try that tonight; thanks.

mamawm

Reaction score
the problem the op and i had was not a nighttime issue. it happened yesterday sometime between mid morning and mid afternoon. very wierd. i wonder if verizon was doing something???

OP
Al Neri

Al Neri

Reaction score
I used my phone very little and way before I went to bed I was at 14% (this was a little over 11 hours of being off charger). Normally on the extended battery with a lot more use I go to bed (16-17 hours off charger) and am still above 70% battery. I am monitoring closely today to see if battery life is back to normal. I did switch back to a standard battery for now.

trueangla

Reaction score
Same with me over past two days with it in AIRPLANE mode.....

The past two mornings Ive put my phone on airplane mode at 90% battery life which I do often. After I checked it the past two days the phone lost 50-60% battery life IN airplane mode and I have the extended battery. Usually when i do this I have no battery loss while in airplane mode. Havent seen any unusual apps running. WTH?

OP
Al Neri

Al Neri

Reaction score
Yesterday battery usage was back to normal. No idea wth happened. Hopefully it isn't a bad extended battery. I will switch it back to the extended battery forthe weekend.

mamawm

Reaction score
Mine's back to normal too. I'll bet it was somehow tied to that last data outage the other day.