State of the Droid Turbo: 2 months in

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You can get to it that way, but I set the Widget to be on screen 2 all the time.

Turbo Tap'n
8f4edc8ec36fdd85aea1bc7815fd7c78.jpg

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OK, so I know that I posted in the past how I got a sudden rush of apps updating, and that in the past that often preceded an upgrade release. I also know that very shortly after my post was a rumor about a soak. Then of course that soak never materialized. Well yesterday and today I've been hit with a hoard of updates to apps. Not sure if it's anything but it sure is significant in its quantity and so I thought I'd mention it..

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
This is definitely the most apps I've had on a phone before. Running great. Really love this phone...

Turbo Tap'n

jplemt

Reaction score
Is the Turbo the only Vzw phone that turns off the CDMA radio when it's on a 4g network and you have VoLTE enabled? I think my old S5 kept both on all the time regardless.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Is the Turbo the only Vzw phone that turns off the CDMA radio when it's on a 4g network and you have VoLTE enabled? I think my old S5 kept both on all the time regardless.
No, there are several new flagship model phones from different manufacturers that can not use the CDMA and 4 GLTE radios at the same time. This is what was known as SVDO, simultaneous voice and data operation, but unfortunately I believe the general consensus is that it's due to a lack of sufficient antennas to support both radios at the same time. At least that's what explanation seems to be floating about. This is the direction for all future phones as I understand it. Voice over LTE or VOLTE is supposed to be the next wave and it will stay that way, similar to what happened when we moved from earlier cellular technologies of analog to the now standard digital service. Eventually like analog, CDMA 3G radio will go away completely.

kimball13A

Reaction score
So I finally switched to hangouts for my default SMS rather than the default SMS. The default (not vsrizon) app was stalling, force closing, and running generally slow.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Hangouts sucks for Messaging. Google even knows it does. It's great for actually Hanging Out (I am in one Hangout that has 60 people in it). But for Texting? Hated it.
As I said, even Google admitted it wasn't great for SMS/MMS and they released this:
Messenger - Android Apps on Google Play

Prettier and has way more Features for Texting then Hangouts does.

kimball13A

Reaction score
Well ok then lol. What's bad about it? I literally just switched so I haven't noticed anything yet.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Trust me. Try Messenger first. If you don't like that, then maybe you ARE a Hangouts type person. :D

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Just one thing (of several), no options like this in Hangouts, because Messenger is all about that text, bout that text, 'bout that text...

Google-Messenger-version-1-2-710x373.png

No Treble...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I tried using Hangouts for the VoIP...and VoIP was so buggy I had to turn it off. And as a messaging app, it does indeed stink.

Still looking for a good free VoIP solution so I don't have to waste minutes listening to long conference calls.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Google Messenger is NOT the Default Messenger.
It's a totally different app Google made and released that as far as I know comes standard on no ones phones....yet. Only available through PLAY.