State of the Droid Turbo: 2 months in

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
446984-droid-turbo-v-nexus-6.jpg

We are 2 months in since verizon released the Droid Turbo. Arguably the most powerful droid device they have ever released with a 5.2 inch Quad HD screen, 3 gigs of RAM, 21 MP camera, 3900 mAh battery with a turbo charger, and up to 64 gigs of internal memory. This was the Droid many were looking for and was part of the trio of high-end Motorola devices of 2014. So those who chose the Droid Turbo what is the state of your device?

For fun you can submit your rebuttal to team Nexus here: Team Turbo or Team Nexus 6 Android Forum at DroidForums.net

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Mine is plugging right along.. Love the battery life.. Though not as advertised.. But its still really good.. 7 hours of on screen time is nothing to sneeze at..

Mine sits in a modified otterbox defender... So i have no wear issues or scratches or dents.. The device has lived up to its name. It's snappy(just don't turn off your animations in developer options) it charges fast.. Good signal...

The screen is awesome, the camera.. Admittedly not huge to me...is good imho.

Now it has volte..so it's now on par with other devices (as long as you have 4G)

I would've liked to have seen 5.something on it by now.. But i think there's an agreement that the nexus 6 will be the next moto device to have it.. I could be wrong.

Would I buy this device again?? Probably.. Though I was on the ropes between it and the z3v...

Definitely a step up from the maxx/ultra. And a huge step up from the razr maxx and razr maxx hd.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I second basically everything 94lt1 said except for with regard to the Z3V. I didn't want that phone from the beginning for a couple of very key reasons. 1, I didn't like the feeling of the sharp edges against my hand when I held it. 2, I don't like the fact that it has a glass back and 3, I felt the buttons on the side are far too pronounced. As an aside from that, although it's waterproof and can take pictures underwater, I'm not a fan of the doors that must be opened and remain hanging by tethers to access the charging and audio ports. To me they're just another thing to break down the road.

I also contemplated the Nexus 6, but once I had one in my hand I realized it was too large for me to hold and use effectively the way I choose to. Don't get me wrong, it is a great phablet, but I don't feel it worked well for my needs since it's just simply too big. I think the turbo is just about as big as I would want to have. They could make the turbo screen larger if they didn't enlarge the chassis and I would be comfortable with that but otherwise the turbo is an awesome phone, fast, powerful, awesome screen, 64 gigabytes of RAM awesome again, just a great performer.

Although the camera may not be close to the quality of either the Note 4 or Sony Z3V, it is well above adequate for my needs, and frankly I found that it takes quite nice pictures as long as you pay a little bit of attention to things such as lighting, focus, and holding the camera still.

I love the active display, and I also love the motion detector or proximity detector as it were. It's great never having to actually pick up the phone to see what time it is or for that matter to see if any notifications have come in that require greater attention than a glance. I also love that I can look at greater detail on the notifications without fully waking the phone. Being able to wave my hand over the phone at any time to see the notifications, and also being able to waive the ringer quiet are two great additional features that I have found I've grown to love.

The radios on Motorola's have always been a top performer in my humble opinion, and the turbo is no slouch in that regard either, living up to the historic reputation. The few pieces of what is traditionally called bloat ware that the turbo has are really very effective and useful tools, but yet the turbo is about as close to a pure vanilla Android experience as you're going to see on nearly any phone except for developer editions, and the very few other regular distribution model phones that are out there which have no bloatware.

I would love to see a developer edition of the Droid turbo, for one main reason and that is so that I could have wireless tether again. That's the only thing I really miss from other earlier phones. Of course, if someone is able to root this phone which is of course also highly unlikely as it appears now, then it would complete my requirements for the perfect phone.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

cyberlizard

Reaction score
Not much to add from me - pretty well covered above. The Moto actions/voice/assist might be my surprise favorite feature, though I continue to be impressed with the overall responsiveness despite piling on with more and more apps. Battery life is simply crazy for a generally light user like myself, and missing a day/night (or two a couple of times) without charging has never left me with a dead battery thus far. Also, I've been naked (the phone, not me) since picking up the phone the first day they were available, and have yet to see any sign of wear on the black MGF finish.

Last edited:

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
I am well-pleased with the Turbo. I hope that 5. comes along soon, but the phone works so well now that I can patiently wait.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Agree agree agree.
It was between the Turbo the Z3v and the G3 for me.
I'm not totally impressed by the battery, but I use it a lot and my days are generally long. :D I can kill it in a day.
It's SO friggin fast. THAT blows me away. Ingress runs so well on it, it's like a whole new game.
I do have some fraying on the Ballistic Nylon. NOT in love with that.Bad idea Moto.

Also, I tried the Advanced Calling 1.0 from my phone (to an iPhone). WOW! That was impressive!

quadtronix

Reaction score
What can I say? I still love this phone!! Had since the first weekend it was out and it has never disappointed... Using it with my LG G watch and get like two days from a charge!!! Plus charges turbo-fast... I think I will be keeping this one for the full two years of my contract... Very satisfied. Highly recommended!!!

Sent via Tapatalk from my Droid Turbo... -Breaking the Speed Limit of the Internet-

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
All who got the turbo on opening weekend or day.. Say I!! Lol.. :)

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
All who got the turbo on opening weekend or day.. Say I!! Lol.. :)

I.....wait wait you said Turbo....whoops wrong Motorola device. :D

HK-47

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Turbo WAS the Droid I was looking for.

I went from a StarTac to a Glimmer to the OG Droid, then Droid Bionic, now to this.

The Droids changes the way I thought of a phone replacing a Palm, a GPS and a cellphone. But, I was tied to a charger or I had to keep backup batteries with me for "all day" use. In my desk, in my car's console and in my pocket, batteries everywhere. Man, those days are over, at the end of the day I still have a day's worth of life left in the Turbo. Yes, the screen is great, it's fast - but you can DEPEND on it. You can leave home with 25% left and not be concerned that it will croak before you get home for the evening. I bought a Qi charger for the car, but I don't really need it. The Turbo just keeps going and going. What a great phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I think I will be keeping this one for the full two years of my contract... Very satisfied. Highly recommended!!!

This may actually be scary news for both Motorola and Verizon. This phone is so good it could last through two phone upgrade generations. As much as they want you to think they are OK with you only replacing your phone every two years, it's now far more desirable to have you replacing it every year so they can get another chance to earn additional equipment revenue.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
I love my Turbo

Sent from my Turbo via Tapatalk