State of the Note 4

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I use mine 1 handed often without even enabling 1 handed operation. It's actually easier to do than on the Note2 because of the much smaller bezel.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Same here. I use the Note 4 one handed (without any of the one handed modes) far more often than I use it with two hands.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Same here. I use the Note 4 one handed (without any of the one handed modes) far more often than I use it with two hands.
Same here. I turned on the "shrink the screen" feature at first, but was determined to not need it, so I turned it off after a day or so (didn't really use it at all during that day anyway).

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I guess I'm not in that many situations where I need to use my device with one hand. Watching a YouTube video, quickly scanning the forum or website, yeah I suppose. Other than that I'm usually composing a text, or replying in a forum so I'm using both hands anyways.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I guess I'm not in that many situations where I need to use my device with one hand. Watching a YouTube video, quickly scanning the forum or website, yeah I suppose. Other than that I'm usually composing a text, or replying in a forum so I'm using both hands anyways.
I text & post on the forum with one hand all the time, even if I'm just sitting around watching tv. I'm doing so right now in fact.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Using a slider keyboard makes writing easier with 1 hand.I hold the phone in my left hand and use my left thumb when not using the s pen. I couldn't quite do that on the Note2 and can barely do it on this one but it is doable.
My Swype for Oppo let's me shrink the keyboard and put it on the left or right. Here it's on the left side.
bf9d6da3d027742e9047b8b8ce23f702.jpg

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Using a slider keyboard makes writing easier with 1 hand.I hold the phone in my left hand and use my left thumb when not using the s pen. I couldn't quite do that on the Note2 and can barely do it on this one but it is doable.
My Swype for Oppo let's me shrink the keyboard and put it on the left or right. Here it's on the left side.
bf9d6da3d027742e9047b8b8ce23f702.jpg

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I Swype completely & equally well with either hand one handed on the note 4. No issues whatsoever except for autocorrect. That's how I'm typing this right now.
f11deeedc383590860b52f06ffafeac6.jpg

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I Swype completely & equally well with either hand one handed on the note 4. No issues whatsoever except for autocorrect. That's how I'm typing this right now.
f11deeedc383590860b52f06ffafeac6.jpg

I forgot how the s view case adds width to the overall device when holding while it's open. Took it off and 1 handed is about as easy as the G2.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Love the phone, but I wish we could get Lollipop now, rather than early March which is likely when we will get it...

BuccoDroid

Reaction score
Got my N4 about 3 wks ago. Love it just like I loved my N2 & N3. What brought me to the Note series of phones originally was the screen size. So big on the N2 and even bigger on the N3 & N4. Have a couple cute grandkids that live half a country away and I need to have a phone with a big screen to show off the great pix my daughter seems to send me every other day of the grandkids. The Notes have all worked for that.

Also love the screen size because I can use it as a Kindle reader. So much nicer than having to carry a actual Kindle and a phone.

As for the SPen, hey, that is so old school. I got into the PDA, Personal Digital Assistant for those of you who are younger and do not remember much of the early cell phones and such devices, when I got an original Palm Pilot back in the mid 90's. It was b&w and had a stylus and its own shorthand for entering data called Graffiti. The Palm Pilot was so much easier and better for use as a pocket calendar and phone book.

So when the Note 2 hit the shelves with the great big screen and the SPen I was hooked. Even found an app that allows me you use the SPen and the Palm style Graffiti to enter my data and such.

Also love the camera on this N4. Takes fabulous pix (not like my old fashioned SLR film camera) but close when it comes to snap shots and that is what I do most of the time now.

One thing that I do not do with the N4 is surf the web on it. Oh, if I need some info and I am away from my laptop then I will use it just to get some specific info on something of interest.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got my N4 about 3 wks ago. Love it just like I loved my N2 & N3. What brought me to the Note series of phones originally was the screen size. So big on the N2 and even bigger on the N3 & N4. Have a couple cute grandkids that live half a country away and I need to have a phone with a big screen to show off the great pix my daughter seems to send me every other day of the grandkids. The Notes have all worked for that.

Also love the screen size because I can use it as a Kindle reader. So much nicer than having to carry a actual Kindle and a phone.

As for the SPen, hey, that is so old school. I got into the PDA, Personal Digital Assistant for those of you who are younger and do not remember much of the early cell phones and such devices, when I got an original Palm Pilot back in the mid 90's. It was b&w and had a stylus and its own shorthand for entering data called Graffiti. The Palm Pilot was so much easier and better for use as a pocket calendar and phone book.

So when the Note 2 hit the shelves with the great big screen and the SPen I was hooked. Even found an app that allows me you use the SPen and the Palm style Graffiti to enter my data and such.

Also love the camera on this N4. Takes fabulous pix (not like my old fashioned SLR film camera) but close when it comes to snap shots and that is what I do most of the time now.

One thing that I do not do with the N4 is surf the web on it. Oh, if I need some info and I am away from my laptop then I will use it just to get some specific info on something of interest.
Please elaborate on the graffiti app. Is it still available? Does it work on your Note4?
I missed the whole pda era due to not being able to afford one. Now I can, thus my attraction to the Note series as well. I even have an s view cover, like my buddies old pdas had.
Thank you.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

BuccoDroid

Reaction score
Please elaborate on the graffiti app. Is it still available? Does it work on your Note4?
I missed the whole pda era due to not being able to afford one. Now I can, thus my attraction to the Note series as well. I even have an s view cover, like my buddies old pdas had.
Thank you.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Okay, here is a link to the Wiki on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graffiti_%28Palm_OS%29] Palm Graffiti [/URL]

If you go to Play Store and search for Graffiti you will find the current app. Download and install the app and have a go at it by setting "Graffiti" as your default input method in Settings/Language and Input. Once set up you will see a small (unfortunately) black set of boxes across the bottom of your screen pop up when you go to do some writing like filling out some online form. You can write with the Graffiti with both the SPen or just your finger. The Graffiti does not work with the SNote or anything on the Air Command screen.

It can be a pain sometimes due to the small height of the boxes where you do your graffiti thing. Sometimes on the N4 (not so much on the N2 or N3) the SPen seems not to register when I want to tap the screen to make a special character. So I just use my finger for that one.

If you are using the stock keyboard or some other one like Swype or whatever I might suggest that you stick with that since learning Graffiti has a pretty steep learning curve although the app does give you a pop up help screen.

Good luck with it and if you give it a try let us know if you like it or not.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay, here is a link to the Wiki on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graffiti_%28Palm_OS%29] Palm Graffiti [/URL]

If you go to Play Store and search for Graffiti you will find the current app. Download and install the app and have a go at it by setting "Graffiti" as your default input method in Settings/Language and Input. Once set up you will see a small (unfortunately) black set of boxes across the bottom of your screen pop up when you go to do some writing like filling out some online form. You can write with the Graffiti with both the SPen or just your finger. The Graffiti does not work with the SNote or anything on the Air Command screen.

It can be a pain sometimes due to the small height of the boxes where you do your graffiti thing. Sometimes on the N4 (not so much on the N2 or N3) the SPen seems not to register when I want to tap the screen to make a special character. So I just use my finger for that one.

If you are using the stock keyboard or some other one like Swype or whatever I might suggest that you stick with that since learning Graffiti has a pretty steep learning curve although the app does give you a pop up help screen.

Good luck with it and if you give it a try let us know if you like it or not.
Thank You.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

gbsa

Reaction score
I remember the graffitti input I still have my palm pda in my desk. And yes it takes a bit to remember all the nuisances of the different key strokes. Especially how to capitalize and special characters. But it's a lot of fun.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I remember Graffiti as well, but kinda wonder why you would choose to do that rather than just pull up the handwriting input and write normally. Especially after reading about how the boxes are small and don't always work.

I can see how it'd be second nature for someone who used a Palm a lot over the years, but for me, I used a pda with that style writing for about 6 months once, so it's much easier for me to write normally for handwriting input.