State of the Note 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember Graffiti as well, but kinda wonder why you would choose to do that rather than just pull up the handwriting input and write normally. Especially after reading about how the boxes are small and don't always work.

I can see how it'd be second nature for someone who used a Palm a lot over the years, but for me, I used a pda with that style writing for about 6 months once, so it's much easier for me to write normally for handwriting input.
I'd rather do that than tap/type but swiping is so ingrained into my usage of phones and tablets now I don't even make use of the handwriting ability except on screen shots. Swiping is like writing in cursive to my hand/brain coordination and thankfully Swype reads my sloppy attempts better than my teachers ever could.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'd rather do that than tap/type but swiping is so ingrained into my usage of phones and tablets now I don't even make use of the handwriting ability except on screen shots. Swiping is like writing in cursive to my hand/brain coordination and thankfully Swype reads my sloppy attempts better than my teachers ever could.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Agreed. I'm kinda sad to admit it, but my trial with Swype has been going much better than my experience with swiftkey has been since I switched to the Note 4 or even before that.

I wanna love swiftkey like I used to, but I'm not sure it's got my heart anymore on the Note.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Agreed. I'm kinda sad to admit it, but my trial with Swype has been going much better than my experience with swiftkey has been since I switched to the Note 4 or even before that.

I wanna love swiftkey like I used to, but I'm not sure it's got my heart anymore on the Note.

My heart's fondness for SwiftKey grows more and more each day. It's faster than swiping for me, because after several years of use, it almost always knows what I'm going to type next. It's crazy how it learns over time and continues to improve.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My heart's fondness for SwiftKey grows more and more each day. It's faster than swiping for me, because after several years of use, it almost always knows what I'm going to type next. It's crazy how it learns over time and continues to improve.
I swipe on swiftkey & that effect has gone down for me since they introduced the cloud feature. Idk if it's because they add trending words or what, but it's gotten worse over the years & was terrible once I upgraded to the bigger screen.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I swipe on swiftkey & that effect has gone down for me since they introduced the cloud feature. Idk if it's because they add trending words or what, but it's gotten worse over the years & was terrible once I upgraded to the bigger screen.

I don't swipe on SwiftKey, and my experience has been the exact opposite. It's only gotten better for me. It's been great to have it across the any devices I've owned.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't swipe on SwiftKey, and my experience has been the exact opposite. It's only gotten better for me. It's been great to have it across the any devices I've owned.
That was my experience before they added swiping. I had done the Swype beta, but had no need for the gesture typing. I didn't get into it until swiftkey rolled it out. For tapping, it was amazing. I'll give you that.

Old habits die hard though & Swype has been doing very well for me.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Swiftkey king of the hill.....flawless on my Nexus.. It's scary good.. I can let it answer my text without tapping..

Tap'd by Big 6

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That was my experience before they added swiping. I had done the Swype beta, but had no need for the gesture typing. I didn't get into it until swiftkey rolled it out. For tapping, it was amazing. I'll give you that.

Old habits die hard though & Swype has been doing very well for me.

Like you,I started using Swype when the alternative words (no next word suggestion back then) were about as big as the camera icon on the Tapatalk reply to post, were in the center and going vertically. That was on a phone with a screen that was about 2" smaller than the Note4 also (Inc 1). I don't know how I ever saw those tiny suggestions but it was so accurate it practically read my mind. I could literally slide gibberish and it seemed to know the word I wanted . SK Flow was like that at first but after it begins to learn my habits for next word predictions it's at the cost of slide accuracy. I choose slide accuracy over next word prediction in a heart beat.
Did you ever try out that .apk I sent you? It has a few features Swype oem doesn't have like mini keyboard for 1 handed on big screens as well as the ability to adjust keyboard height, fonts, etc. Just make sure any data send options are unchecked on any Swype because they get rather large in file sizes after a while if you don't for whatever reason .

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Like you,I started using Swype when the alternative words (no next word suggestion back then) were about as big as the camera icon on the Tapatalk reply to post, were in the center and going vertically. That was on a phone with a screen that was about 2" smaller than the Note4 also (Inc 1). I don't know how I ever saw those tiny suggestions but it was so accurate it practically read my mind. I could literally slide gibberish and it seemed to know the word I wanted . SK Flow was like that at first but after it begins to learn my habits for next word predictions it's at the cost of slide accuracy. I choose slide accuracy over next word prediction in a heart beat.
Did you ever try out that .apk I sent you? It has a few features Swype oem doesn't have like mini keyboard for 1 handed on big screens as well as the ability to adjust keyboard height, fonts, etc. Just make sure any data send options are unchecked on any Swype because they get rather large in file sizes after a while if you don't for whatever reason .

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I installed it, but figured I'd go with the standard version until the trial was up at least.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This thing is truly a beast. The speed is truly awesome.. I can't bog this thing down.
That's something I notice too, having had it for a while & loaded lots of apps on it. No real stutters or lag, even still, when bouncing in & out of different apps.

Hoping that trend continues when lollipop arrives.