State Of Droid Concepts

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Well I'm sure your all wondering what exactly this post is about, well don't worry it's not to announce the end of DC or anything like that, rather our way of keeping you all in the loop of what is going on here at DC that you otherwise don't see every day.

First, I would like to take the chance to thank all of you who use and support the ROM and us. We wouldn't be able to continue offering this service without you. As you all have most likely seen by now, with the release of DC-B-12 we started the first ever 'Donation Drive' our goal was the raise around $150 which to us seemed very reasonable considering DC-B-11 had over 1800 downloads. We will keep you all updated on how much we actually do raise from this in a later post, but currently we have just under $60 and for that we thank everyone of you who have taken the chance to give back to us!

Second, I would like to let you all know that there has recently been some restructuring taking place behind the scenes at DC. As part of our goal to become a larger presence throughout the Android community, and to be able to give back to everyone, we recently decided to divide DC into 5 major departments, ROMs, Kernels, Themes, Testing, and Recovery. This is still very new to us, as plans were just finalized earlier for all of this. I am proud to say that the kernel department is run by CorCor67, he does some amazing work and I am thrilled to have him working with us as part of the DC team. Another person I am very proud and happy to work with is Davros; he will be taking charge and heading the ROM department. Now your all probably scratching your heads why aren't you [woodyman] in charge of the ROMs. Well the answer to that is simple, I will be overseeing all departments of DC and maintaining everything behind the scenes, but I am very happy that Davros is the man now behind the main ROM development. Now the DC testing, theming, and recovery departments have not yet been fully established. The testing department will be up and running in the next day, and I will be posting a thread with more information on that as soon as the details are finalized. After the testing department is up and running, we will focus on getting the theming department fully operational, as details are finalized we will pass that information along to you. Last the recovery department will be established, this part is still quite a ways off, but as you can guess we have plans for our own custom DC recovery. We will keep you all updated with the details as we finalize them and get things established behind the scenes.

Third, I would like to let you all in on the major plans behind the Droid Concepts Donation Drives. I did not start DC to make a profit and that was not the reason behind the Donation Drive. DC was started in order to provide a better ROM for the community, which is still our main goal here at DC. The Donation Drive was our way of trying to do a combination of giving back to our users and expanding upon DC in order to provide services to more members of the Android community, along with future proofing our success. First I’ll cover the main aspects of our giveaway program. With all of our DC Donation Drives we will be taking from 50% - 75% of the funds and using them towards a fund to host giveaways for our users. This % will always be pre-established and announced on the DC download page, the page that the link for DC-B-12 took you to. For the first Donation Drive 50% of all funds we raise will be placed into a fund to start and continue with a DC giveaway fund. What exactly we will giveaway and when will depend on how much we raise and how much we can afford to giveaway. For example don't expect us to giveaway a new Galaxy Tab on a $60 budget, it simply isn't possible. The rules and terms and conditions for each giveaway will vary according to the prize. Finally, on to the remaining of the funds from our Donation Drives; the remaining 50% - 25% from all of our Donation Drives will go towards a variety of things for DC. There is no pre-determined amount for each of the specific funds, and we will allocate money as we see best serves you [the community] and DC. Donation money will be allocated to the following funds: devices, website/host/server, and other. Other is the only that really needs an explanation here, but in short I want to get to a point down the road where the other fund has around $100; the reason being is that you never know what unexpected costs might come up, and I feel $100 would be a reasonable amount of money to keep in reserve just in case anything ever does happen. However, the other fund does not mean it is our personal money to spend, nor will use any of the money for personal reasons. I believe the other two funds are self-explanatory; we have to have money to operate our site and be able to provide hosting so we can all have direct downloads. We have to have newer devices in order to grow and expand the DC team, and to be able to bring the DC ROM to your next Android device. We can only support devices that we own and have access to, so if you would like to donate specifically to this fund just let us know, or if you would be able to donate a device or can get a cheap device please let us know, we want to continue to offer this service, but it's not possible if we don't have any devices. This is the reason the DC ROM is currently only available on the Motorola Droid [OG], it is the only device we own, and can test on. If there are ever any questions regarding the Donation Drives or funds donated to DC please contact me directly, and I will be more than happy to get back to you. We will have a direct email address setup for the Donation Drives shortly, but until then direct any questions to me.

Forth, I know this is getting long, but please bear with me, lol.

Fifth, continuation of Froyo on the D1, as we have said before the D1 will always be a Froyo device for Droid Concepts. We have one Froyo variation coming your way soon though, and you will get all the details about this on release day.

Sixth, the status of future DC ROMs depends on what devices we own and develop for next. If we feel a device can't handle GB we will keep it on Froyo, like what was done with the D1, but if we feel a device can handle the newest version of Android we will upgrade it to the newest version. An example of this will be the D3 when it is rooted and gets the ability for custom ROMs DC will first be providing a GB ROM for it, and once a newer version of Android is available we will begin testing it on the D3 if we feel it works we will use it as the main Android version for the D3, if not we will keep the D3 on GB until we feel that new version is ready.

Seventh, my role [woodyman] with DC, as the founder of DC I have always handled most of everything with the ROM, and behind the scenes. As we move on into the future I am slowly moving into more of a role of overseeing everything and the day to day, ROM to ROM, etc. aspect of things. I will be heading back to college soon, which in turn limits the amount of time I can spend operating DC, and working on the ROMs we provide. This is another reason I am very happy to have both Davros, and CorCor67 on the team. We can now continue with development as planned with minimal slowdowns. So this was another reason for the new structure of DC, and I am very pleased with what we have done so far, and with our plans for the feature.

Eighth, I would like to let you know this is almost over.

Ninth, thank you for taking the time to read all of this.

Tenth, over the next few days you will begin to see threads pop up with more details about each individual aspect I have mentioned today, so be patient and excited for the news to come.

Thank you all and enjoy the ROM, and DC.

-Woodyman

C/O

-Droid Concepts

DavidM.

Reaction score
Thanks for the news update woodyman. It's good to see all the details of what's going on. Hopefully the expansion goes smoothly and you guys get it organized nicely.

Ozzie

Reaction score
Nice to see a plan of action! Very good news and best of luck with it.

Now boys...let's help them out a little bit here...a lot of time goes into getting this work out for all of us to enjoy. A little bit won't hurt...

1quickv6

Reaction score
Donation sent. Keep up the good work and thanks for the explanation. dancedroid

orion2001

Reaction score
As a recent "root"er, after 2 days of research, I decided to go with DC on my D1, and I am really happy with that decision :). Everything works great and with a 900MHz OC, things are really snappy. Thanks for all the hard work on this ROM and I will look forward to future updates!

PS - As a newbie, a little bit of advice would be to develop some nice themes, icon sets and theme options in DC. I know that a lot can be done by end users, but I think that nothing grabs peoples attentions than some neat themes that they see in a ROM and makes them think - "I've got to have that!" :)

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
There are a bunch of themes for this rom. Davros galaxy mash and buckmarble has ported several in the theme ports thread. I have several themes for this as well.. working on porting them to build 12 now. 3 are done and 4 to go..i think...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

orion2001

Reaction score
There are a bunch of themes for this rom. Davros galaxy mash and buckmarble has ported several in the theme ports thread. I have several themes for this as well.. working on porting them to build 12 now. 3 are done and 4 to go..i think...

Thanks for your efforts Jay, and I have seen your themes. Since I'm already on build 12, I'll wait for the ports to be completed. The only thing that I didn't like so much with the build 12 ROM was the notification bar icons and the notification bar widget skinning.

No biggie, and I'm sure things will improve over time. Just wanted to provide my feedback and I hope I'm not coming off as ungrateful.

Thanks for all the great work guys.

Sent from my Droid

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Good to see DC expanding its operation. Lots of great devs working on this project too.

Now if only we could get root on the D3. :)

pbrewer81

Reaction score
Awesome! This rom has run the best on my phone out of all Froyo roms. Keep it up and thanks a ton.

orion2001

Reaction score
Awesome! This rom has run the best on my phone out of all Froyo roms. Keep it up and thanks a ton.

It definitely runs a lot better than stock froyo. My frustration with stock Froyo over the last month or so is what led me to root and install DC. I'm loving it! :)

Sent from my Droid

overtwo

Reaction score
Donation sent! Keep up the great work!! :icon_ banana:

mikedav1

Reaction score
I would like to thank all of the team for the most exceptional work. Donation sent a few days ago. I would encourage everyone to give a little, we are the beneficiaries!
Thank you.
Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

Icculus760

Reaction score
Yeah...that was long, but thank you for every word :biggrin: Glad to hear good news about DC and I'm looking forward to the future (still doesn't help w/ bionic/sgs2 decision tho :))

Thanks to all of you for everything you've done...and will do too!