Droid Concepts GingerBread

Diggs59

Reaction score
Looking forward to this. Keep up the good work guys. Nevermind the negative b.s. by some members. Just keep doing what you do.dancedroid

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
So what you are saying is that you are following the trends since I'm pretty sure Pete has made a fully stock gingerbread rom.

I thought I made this clear the first time I responded to all of this. We are NOT using the cyanogen core, this is AOSP, and it DOES contain some features from CyanogenMod. Meaning apps like the mms, email, and many of the options people know and love from the CyanogenMod series.

I don't know how to clear this up for you or anyone else anymore.

======================================================

For everyone out there who is waiting and expecting something, since were not based on CyanogenMod I am user friendly and can give ETA's.. So you can expect something by next Saturday, if not sooner.

Last edited:

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Better be soon as the puddle of drool since you started this thread is starting to reach my mid-torso. I can't flash when I drown in my own grossness.
And stop worrying about clearing up things with anyone.
If they are under false impressions and won't read what you write, and blow off this ROM, it's their loss.
And less people blaming your ROM for any issues they have caused or are due most likely by the state of their OG or its battery.
Usually same folks who don't read entire OP or install instructions.
This ain't lemons, it's already lemonade woodyman.
It is as if the shwag has been pre de-seeded for you....

danceswithbongs

dredhead407

Reaction score
sounds good. I have been patiently waiting for this rom to drop. I wasn't around during the times of SD so I don't really know how this rom will be. It's actually kind of exciting.

djakrse

Reaction score
Any chance, Woodyman (or anyone working on this), you'd be interested in setting up a twitter account so we can hear occasional updates? Issues resolved, setbacks, successes, anything?

I keep reading how difficult GB can be for the D1 and I admit I'm starting to be a bit skeptical even about how much I want to update. On one hand, I've had a lingering issue with SD7 regarding apps which use Google maps. I've about had it with that. I've heard GB has stability issues which I'm sure you guys are dealing with somewhat. Also there are other issues with GB, including the extra resources and one that's a strong issue with me, no sound during boot up.

I've replaced the /system/bin/bootanimation binary with the one from the D2R2D2, which enables sounds to play with boot animations. It's become apparent this only works with froyo and, as I've been told, GB roms break something. I've heard it could be a symlink issue or just a casualty of GB's more aggressive task killing during bootup (I've heard it doesn't work once the phone is booted either, though.) Will we have to wait for GB to hit the D2R2D2 for an updated binary? Is this something anyone here has noticed or even addressed?

What about the SD froyo that was dropped in favor of GB? How near completion was that? Is that something that could still be released as an option?? I would've installed the beta, but to be honest, I am not a fan of the elegant steel theme. Nothing personal, just too light and too monochrome.

Anyhow, I've almost jumped over to several of the more updated roms which have already released Gingerbread, but I think for the same reason any of you might not have installed them. I'm waiting for the out-of-the-box stability, elegant modifications and theming I've grown accustomed to.

If something's already been said regarding any of this, I apologize, I've probably forgotten I've read it already. I check here daily for something new to read. Hope I've offered something of interest. Thoughts, comments, answers?

I feel the need to say I've been supremely satisfied with the SD rom thus far, despite the maps issue, and I'd love to see what's next. Thanks Woody and all involved!

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
I had a Twitter account but removed it, so I have created a new one, and instead of it being about me, it is one for Droid Concepts, so you can follow
@DroidConcepts on twitter to get more updates about the ROM and other things the team is working on.

As for the GB part, it is very difficult and stock AOSP will NOT compile for the Droid out of the box.. meaning lots of edits and coding and modding, I am hard at work but dont have the time needed to get this done quickly, but enough about that here, I will be posting a new thread shortly explaining everything since I said to expect a release today and it is not ready.. I am sorry for that, its a lot harder than I anticipated, and not enough time to get it done in a few days... :(

Thank You and everyone else who supports us, I will be posting a lot of ROM related info in a few minutes, and if there is a user interest in Froyo I will be more than happy to support a Froyo DC ROM, GB does have its perks but Motorola, VZW, and Google/Android, don't support GB on the Droid for a reason...

Any chance, Woodyman (or anyone working on this), you'd be interested in setting up a twitter account so we can hear occasional updates? Issues resolved, setbacks, successes, anything?

I keep reading how difficult GB can be for the D1 and I admit I'm starting to be a bit skeptical even about how much I want to update. On one hand, I've had a lingering issue with SD7 regarding apps which use Google maps. I've about had it with that. I've heard GB has stability issues which I'm sure you guys are dealing with somewhat. Also there are other issues with GB, including the extra resources and one that's a strong issue with me, no sound during boot up.

I've replaced the /system/bin/bootanimation binary with the one from the D2R2D2, which enables sounds to play with boot animations. It's become apparent this only works with froyo and, as I've been told, GB roms break something. I've heard it could be a symlink issue or just a casualty of GB's more aggressive task killing during bootup (I've heard it doesn't work once the phone is booted either, though.) Will we have to wait for GB to hit the D2R2D2 for an updated binary? Is this something anyone here has noticed or even addressed?

What about the SD froyo that was dropped in favor of GB? How near completion was that? Is that something that could still be released as an option?? I would've installed the beta, but to be honest, I am not a fan of the elegant steel theme. Nothing personal, just too light and too monochrome.

Anyhow, I've almost jumped over to several of the more updated roms which have already released Gingerbread, but I think for the same reason any of you might not have installed them. I'm waiting for the out-of-the-box stability, elegant modifications and theming I've grown accustomed to.

If something's already been said regarding any of this, I apologize, I've probably forgotten I've read it already. I check here daily for something new to read. Hope I've offered something of interest. Thoughts, comments, answers?

I feel the need to say I've been supremely satisfied with the SD rom thus far, despite the maps issue, and I'd love to see what's next. Thanks Woody and all involved!

djakrse

Reaction score
Well Woody (can't get John Ratzenberger's voice outta my head for some reason), I can't imagine how much time and effort goes into what you do, and I know that the end result will be top notch and I'm looking forward to it. Like a good chef or an artist, you're not willing to send something out because people are getting antsy, and I respect that. When it's ready, it'll be ready and the effort put into it will be obvious and worth the wait.

I'll cast the first vote for a froyo release too based on guaranteed stability and my assumption Gingerbread won't allow me to have my bootup sounds for a while. From those who claim to have tried many GB roms, the common theme seems to be froyo was much faster and more stable.

I've been running SD7 since day one and a couple of releases before that. My phone has continually run so smooth and stable I'd swear this is the way the phone was meant to be delivered. If that were true, we wouldn't have such a large community begging to root and mod their phones now, right?

On top of that, I've always used the standard themed version. It always sounds like everyone's gushing about any of the optional themes, but you've got a good eye for design I think (or I guess whoever's done that work for you; I think I've heard you talk modestly about your own theming ability.)

Keep up the good work, bro. You've earned a lot of fans for sure. Hope it leads to a good job in the near future ;)

I had a Twitter account but removed it, so I have created a new one, and instead of it being about me, it is one for Droid Concepts, so you can follow
@DroidConcepts on twitter to get more updates about the ROM and other things the team is working on.

As for the GB part, it is very difficult and stock AOSP will NOT compile for the Droid out of the box.. meaning lots of edits and coding and modding, I am hard at work but dont have the time needed to get this done quickly, but enough about that here, I will be posting a new thread shortly explaining everything since I said to expect a release today and it is not ready.. I am sorry for that, its a lot harder than I anticipated, and not enough time to get it done in a few days... :(

Thank You and everyone else who supports us, I will be posting a lot of ROM related info in a few minutes, and if there is a user interest in Froyo I will be more than happy to support a Froyo DC ROM, GB does have its perks but Motorola, VZW, and Google/Android, don't support GB on the Droid for a reason...

Reaction score
Hey Woodyman.....will this ROM have the possibility of using the Theme Manager? I'm just wondering....

I want to start theming once this is released, but if the theme manager is going to be implemented, I wouldn't waste time....

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Hey Woodyman.....will this ROM have the possibility of using the Theme Manager? I'm just wondering....

I want to start theming once this is released, but if the theme manager is going to be implemented, I wouldn't waste time....

It will make more sense once I post the thread with the release plans, but for now what I'm going to say is there will be 1 version that uses Theme Manager like CM, and another version will not be using it so you will be able to theme it yourself if you wish...

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
It's a lot more time than most people imagine, and its not bad if thats what you do for a living like most of the CyanogenMod team. For us who have to work or go to school most of the day we can't focus solely on this.. Families or girlfriends on top of full time jobs/school and trying to do this is rough this is why we [Droid Concepts] have been lagging lately. I wish I could provide more updates and what not but its hard, so thanks for your support.a:)

I will have to start over on a froyo release because I no longer have the source code for that, but its defiantly possible froyo didn't have nearly as many issues as GB did with the Droid so its very likely I can do a froyo build as well..

I can do some basic theming I guess I'm not to bad at that, but for refining my ideas I usually always get help and thats usually where the finished product comes from, I have a great team and know a lot of great people who help a lot.. :)

I am a collge student studying Pre-Med, BioChem so this doesn't have much an effect on my future career wise, so everything that i've done is purely out of hobby and fun and because I enjoy it.. Thanks again man.. It means a lot when we get positive feedback and praise.. :)

Well Woody (can't get John Ratzenberger's voice outta my head for some reason), I can't imagine how much time and effort goes into what you do, and I know that the end result will be top notch and I'm looking forward to it. Like a good chef or an artist, you're not willing to send something out because people are getting antsy, and I respect that. When it's ready, it'll be ready and the effort put into it will be obvious and worth the wait.

I'll cast the first vote for a froyo release too based on guaranteed stability and my assumption Gingerbread won't allow me to have my bootup sounds for a while. From those who claim to have tried many GB roms, the common theme seems to be froyo was much faster and more stable.

I've been running SD7 since day one and a couple of releases before that. My phone has continually run so smooth and stable I'd swear this is the way the phone was meant to be delivered. If that were true, we wouldn't have such a large community begging to root and mod their phones now, right?

On top of that, I've always used the standard themed version. It always sounds like everyone's gushing about any of the optional themes, but you've got a good eye for design I think (or I guess whoever's done that work for you; I think I've heard you talk modestly about your own theming ability.)

Keep up the good work, bro. You've earned a lot of fans for sure. Hope it leads to a good job in the near future ;)

Reaction score

It will make more sense once I post the thread with the release plans, but for now what I'm going to say is there will be 1 version that uses Theme Manager like CM, and another version will not be using it so you will be able to theme it yourself if you wish...

Sounds good to me. Will you be developing on the Thunderbolt?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App