Sooo are you happy with your G2????

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Ah yup. Leave it to Big Red to eff up a good thing. The one on the right is VZW. The one on the right is AT&T, Sprint and T-Mo.

As far as updates I was worried at first. But until apps get way beyond the reach of compatibility of a particular version of the OS it should not be a problem. This is a flagship device for LG. I really hope they treat it as such and not let it lag behind.

20130911_121006.jpg

Asthetically I like the buttons on the VZW version, but see the original design being easier to use and more functional.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk now Free

mattjenn

Reaction score
I messaged otterbox about this it's not just buttons wireless charging changed the shape of vzw version of the phone too. That's why most cases won't be compatible.

Astrix

Reaction score
Yeah...I'm happy with G2 so far on untoched stock.
- Not sure how long I can stay on without root/rom :rolleyes:
- Anyway, there is D802 deodexed rooted rom and requested to make it on diet :p

TapaTalking from Republic™ Of Android

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Yeah...I'm happy with G2 so far on untoched stock.
- Not sure how long I can stay on without root/rom :rolleyes:
- Anyway, there is D802 deodexed rooted rom and requested to make it on diet :p

I am still stock and unrooted too. Was waiting until my 15 day trial period was up. I have until tomorrow. I think flashing a debloated rom would take away some of the nice features that make the G2 worthwhile. I can always root and freeze some of the apps I don't need. And I would want root to add the ability to use a cache cleaner and back up app data. Adding 3rd part apps to add functionality is always hit and miss. At this point the only thing I have found that I do not like is the Q-Slide which is easily disabled. And one of the few things I would change are the ability to change the style and selection of the bottom buttons to more of a stock android look and have a transparent background with white buttons. This phone is as close to perfect for me than any other phone I have purchased.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I am still stock and unrooted too. Was waiting until my 15 day trial period was up. I have until tomorrow. I think flashing a debloated rom would take away some of the nice features that make the G2 worthwhile. I can always root and freeze some of the apps I don't need. And I would want root to add the ability to use a cache cleaner and back up app data. Adding 3rd part apps to add functionality is always hit and miss. At this point the only thing I have found that I do not like is the Q-Slide which is easily disabled. And one of the few things I would change are the ability to change the style and selection of the bottom buttons to more of a stock android look and have a transparent background with white buttons. This phone is as close to perfect for me than any other phone I have purchased.

The majority of apps that you'd like to freeze doesn't require root at all.

Settings-->Application Manager-->All-->Disable anything you don't want.

Not sure if it clears the cache or not but there's a clear RAM widget that functions really well.

Astrix

Reaction score
And I would want root to add the ability to use a cache cleaner and back up app data.
I'm using Helium to back up apps data from my Note (running CM) and restore it to G2 (Untouched) with a breeze.

For now, I can skip Titanium

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I'm using Helium to back up apps data from my Note (running CM) and restore it to G2 (Untouched) with a breeze.

For now, I can skip Titanium

I tried that with my Razr Maxx and N7 first gen but could not get them to work. Might give it another try. Maybe I was doing something wrong. But I always thought you had to have root to access the app data in the system. For things like game saves, settings and whatnot. Does Helium work without root???

Astrix

Reaction score
I tried that with my Razr Maxx and N7 first gen but could not get them to work. Might give it another try.

Few run it failed connect to PC. I figure out that I need latest G2 driver. Not LG universal drivers.

Give another go...

But I always thought you had to have root to access the app data in the system. For things like game saves, settings and whatnot. Does Helium work without root???

Yes it work without root but need to connect to PC to run Helium.

mattjenn

Reaction score
Helium has issues on moto phones that may have been problem with your RAZR maxx

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Helium has issues on moto phones that may have been problem with your RAZR maxx

Good to know. At least there isn't much I needed as far as app data on my Maxx. Most was on my N7. But I just transferred the app data using MyBackUp Pro.

Astrix

Reaction score
D802 development seem going up.
Hmm...tempting to flash :rolleyes:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
My concerns with updates for the G2 are less with LG and much more with Verizon, who clearly doesn't care as much about this device. But since there appears to be some dev support and still the ability to root, then when LG releases updates worldwide and on other carriers, in theory we should be able to have stock versions ported over to the VZW G2.

I'm still looking at going back to this... tried it out for a few days, but couldn't get used to the button config and the slick back. The button config was ok a lot of the time, but times where I needed to adjust the volume and I wasn't talking on it (like in the car), it was a real PITA.

Last edited:
OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
My concerns with updates for the G2 are less with LG and much more with Verizon, who clearly doesn't care as much about this device. But since there appears to be some dev support and still the ability to root, then when LG releases updates worldwide and on other carriers, in theory we should be able to have stock versions ported over to the VZW G2.

I'm still looking at going back to this... tried it out for a few days, but couldn't get used to the button config and the slick back. The button config was ok a lot of the time, but times where I needed to adjust the volume and I wasn't talking on it (like in the car), it was a real PITA.

Funny I have found the buttons completely natural now. I really like the placement.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Funny I have found the buttons completely natural now. I really like the placement.

I'm sure I just needed to give it more time. What do you do in the car, though?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess the other "rabbit trail" positive is that the G2, with root and all that, might be the closest thing we Verizon users get to a Nexus 5...