A little review of the Droid Maxx vs the LG G2

Reaction score
Camera shots personally I don't think they are that terrible. this is from the droid maxx. Night shots in a few days I lost those pics when I formatted my phone. Now the close ups are supposed to simulate macro shots again the cam had a problem focusing in real close but I was able to pull it away just enough for it to focus and zoom. Like I said it's not the best Camera in the world but i'm ok with it. would I like one that you can adj manually and take macro's sure but I don'lt need it, and with the quality of this phone in other areas I'm happy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03kMcGlbC1NbGxMZHM4QjBsVFU/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03kMcGlbC1NNGw3cmRVSXl3bjA/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03kMcGlbC1NcTdtZnJaT3M5cUk/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03kMcGlbC1NdEE0Z3ExeUJCbHM/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03kMcGlbC1NVjlXMnpPa3Z6ZmM/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03kMcGlbC1NTHF1ZXVqamljUDQ/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03kMcGlbC1NeHRhUHdReG5vWUE/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03kMcGlbC1NZFMxYnpyVEF6UDg/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03kMcGlbC1NSC1RcXF1X2tZZEU/edit?usp=sharing

johnwalker

Reaction score
I currently have the Maxx and I'm still inside of Verizon's 14 day trial. I'm still deciding whether to keep it or exchange it for another phone. This helps me decide between the LG and the Maxx. The other two phones I'm thinking about swapping it out for are the S4 or Note 3. Not sure if I should keep it or not. I like the Maxx alot, but I'm worried about it being updated and the non-removable battery. I've never had a Samsung or LG. My only other phone was a Droid Bionic. Is the Maxx a good phone to keep for 2 years or would be better off getting a different phone?

johnwalker

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to do this. I'm sure a lot of us are considering these 2 phones. I know I am. For me the better battery life and sound of the Maxx will win out.
Wonder if the off contract price will come down more during the holiday sale season? Or if this is as low as it gets?

Reaction score
I personally l have to leave that decision up to you. In order for you to make the decision you need to find out what is important to you. If you want a long life batter Motorola's have a history of having long batteries with the Droid Razr Maxx and now the Droid Maxx. There is a new competitor out there with the a long battery life that would be the LG G2. I personally don't know much about that phone and I did not like it because of the volume button's in the back and for the sound quality. According the reviews it's an excellent phone. You have an awesome Camera it has the fastest specs and a 1080P screen. It's being promoted or people are talking about it like as an alternative to the G4. According the reviews some people like it better and some don't. Motorola Maxx on the other hand for me may not have as many features but whatever features it has are important. For example the Touchless control. No one could take that away from me. I also like the in call Sound Quality of the Motorola in the ear piece and I didn't like the sound quality of the G2 or Samsung S4 or even S3. they sound robotic. The Moto is built the best in the android line. If you ware willing to put up with a windows phone (which I don't recommend you can take the 928 Lumina which is built like a tank.) The Samsung S3 which I had had lousy reception, I heard that was fixed in the S4 but I still don't like holding the s4 for me it's like holding a stick of butter or a play toy.

yes the G2 and the S4 have more bell's and whistles and I will admit a better Camera you can control the conditions when taking a picture. I'll even admit the G2 and S4 have a 1080P screen so if you want to go with the bells and whistles and have a cool toy go with those phones. If you want a manufacturer with good sound quality (all dependent on your ear but I'm just talking for me) a excellent reputation for reception, a phone that feels solid in the hand and an ok camera (not great) go with the Moto. Remember the Moto only has a dual Core processor while the others have a quad core processor. but the Moto has a quad core video processor. which means Games tend to play better on the Moto, and spec wise the G2 and Sammy is supposed to run the every day functions faster. According to the reports the Moto has less lag than the Samsung s4 (not sure about the G2) because it uses a stripped down version of Android OS.

If you are looking for a toy and better specs and Cam go with the Samsung s4 or LG G2. (with the G2 you might get a great battery life also.) the professional critics say the G2 battery last longer, the common everyday person differs on that opinion.) If you are looking for reliability and a phone that is built pretty well and has a proven battery, good in call sound quality and has touch less controls go with the Motorola maxx for me the touch less controls and the battery and reception and sound quality is what sold me on Moto.

I will say this moto even though it's clear in the ear peace may not be as loud as other manufactures this was a concern for me, but now I have the phone a few weeks I am ok with it because it's loud enough and the clear audio makes up for it.

There is a new development Motorola was just sold to Lenovo I'm not sure what the future brings to Moto. ( And before that sale it was sold to google a year ago I believe) not sure what that means for Moto.

NancyTheNance

Reaction score
Thank you!

I just brought the maxx from BB a few days ago. I'm hard to impress. I tried the g2 in the store. I did not like it. I don't like the buttons in the back and mostly for me the sound quality of the ear piece. (I have nerve damage in my ear) The maxx was fine. As we all say the battery life is great I'm at 50% at 1 day 2 hours. the reception is great, the screen looks great. It's not a 1080P but I don't have my nose to the screen while I watch a movie or reading text. However I can keep the screen on the brightest and not have to worry about the battery. I bet you can't do that with a s4. even though it's a dual core it does run flawless and according to my 6 year old nephew the games run the fastest he has ever seen. I guess that has to do with the quad video card in there.

Now let's talk about the Camera. Is it the best Camera in the world? No. Personally I don't think it's that bad. It's true you don't have much control over how it takes pics. You can't adjust ISO, the White Balance, the resolution, the exposure. The phone has a program that does that. Now if you set the camera on where you can move the focal point that will adjust the exposure. To be honest to me the phone has probably one of the best automatic programs to adjust the camera if you have it set in that mode. The colors are not as deep as the Samsung s4 or the, G2 (I assume since everyone is raving about it) however they are very natural and good. In low lighting and night shots I really like it. I was in Miami the other night and I didn't need to use a flash while taking shots. On one shot (too bad I don't have it I had to format the phone) I was across the street of a low lighted awning attached to a building with letters on it. I was able to see the letters very clearly. Listen is it the best camera no. i had a nokia Lumia which kicked B-- over this camera as far as quality, but I'd never go back to that phone because it's a windows phone. Over all I like the camera. it's 10x better than the older motorola cameras. it's very focused and great in low light the colors are natural (not washed out) this phone has a camera that can only be operated in auto mode and does a pretty good job.

To sum it up. the touchless control, the battery life, the sound quality and the half decent camera. I really like the Motorola Maxx. I'd take it over a Samsung S4 because holding the S4 is like holding a stick of butter and drops to the floor, and the sound quality is robotic on the Sammy. On my old S3 the reception was horrible and I swore I'd never buy another samsung phone. i'd take this over the G2 because i don't like the buttons in the back and the maxx has better sound quality, and I'd take the Maxx over the Droid DNA because of Battery life, better video camera, and even over the Nokia lumia because thats a windows phone, and the video cam does not zoom in and out while taking a video. Yes Yes Yes I'm very happy with the Droid Maxx

I appreciate your input, so much. I have owned a Razr Maxx for quite a while, and I love everything about it except for the camera quality (though I use my Nikon digital SLR for all important things, I do use both Instagram and Snapchat frequently, so my phone's camera is somewhat important to me... Whereas that wasn't so much the case when I got the phone). Battery life is extremely important to me, with camera now being a close second.

That being said, I originally considered the HTC One, then the Galaxy S4, and more recently I have been researching the LG G2. I don't have a high trust level in LG phones, but the G2 seems to be a better than average LG product. HOWEVER... Tonight, for the first time, I looked at the Droid Maxx vs the G2 and that really put me in a quandary! Your review actually helped me re-focus on what is most important to me, so I thank you for helping me clarify my decision: I'm going with the Droid Maxx. Thank you!

Reaction score
I appreciate your input, so much. I have owned a Razr Maxx for quite a while, and I love everything about it except for the camera quality (though I use my Nikon digital SLR for all important things, I do use both Instagram and Snapchat frequently, so my phone's camera is somewhat important to me... Whereas that wasn't so much the case when I got the phone). Battery life is extremely important to me, with camera now being a close second.

That being said, I originally considered the HTC One, then the Galaxy S4, and more recently I have been researching the LG G2. I don't have a high trust level in LG phones, but the G2 seems to be a better than average LG product. HOWEVER... Tonight, for the first time, I looked at the Droid Maxx vs the G2 and that really put me in a quandary! Your review actually helped me re-focus on what is most important to me, so I thank you for helping me clarify my decision: I'm going with the Droid Maxx. Thank you!

You are very welcome. Out of curiosity when you had the g2 and the maxx in your hand what made you choose the maxx? I think you made the right decision because I chose the maxx to. Was it for the same reasons or other reasons? At first I brought the Htc1 I forgot all about that purchase. For me the sound in the ear and the speaker in the front was the Best. The camera at night took good shots, and during the day they were little over exposed. At the time I brought it I paid full retail and 2 days afterward my head could not justify it because I paid like $600.00 and all I got was a 4 mega pixel camera. What if I wanted to print a 8x10 I'd be out of luck. So yes sound is number one priority for me but I need or want a well rounded phone.

After I returned the HTC One I went back to the Droid DNA because it had a great screen a good still camera a below avg video camera but a voice in the ear I can understand. The reception Was also great in the HTC phones. As the droid DNA got older the screen cracked and in was getting a bit disturbed about the battery so I went with at first the 928 Lumina after my friend pulled teeth for me to get a windows phone.

Well Well Well I got the Nokia Lumia 928 from craigslist. Without going into detail I hated the windows phone and I almost committed my friend to a nut ward. Everything was a extra step, you didn't even have the date presented correctly it was on a tile displayed as such (sun2.) Talk to text was non existent except in email or texting, on facebook in the original app you couldn't rotate the screen to horizontal. however if you found a facebook substitute app(after looking for a needle in a haystack) it did rtate but the scrolling did not work properly. the tiles were ugly. Where the phone did excel was in the talk to text app (built into the phone.) you gave the phone the contact or phone number, then you gave it the message. The phone read back the message and asked if you wanted to send the text (yes or no) that was better than the maxx touchless control. The Camera was wonderful in the Lumina it had a carl weiss lense. But you couldn't zoom in and out during video. in the update app you could zoom it was very limited. As far as the internet performed it was very smooth, but certain links would not work. After about 3 weeks of ownership I went to the maxx.

With the Maxx I gained on the video quality in comparison to the Droid DNA and I can zoom in and out which i couldn't during video on the Nokia lumia 928. I lost on the still picture quality but it was still acceptable. it was better than the razr which I also owned. however I gained on Battery life, reception, Touchless control (lost out on text to talk app from Nokia) but it still works for me. As far as build I sorta lost out in comparison to the Nokia (that was built like a tank) but the Maxx is lighter which i enjoy. and of course I feel very happy I'm part of the Android community again LOL.

To end this it's really funny when you own a lot of phones you kind of figure out whats important to you. As one manger in Verizon said to me Every phone has got a flaw it's a matter of finding what flaw the customer can live with. How ture.

NancyTheNance

Reaction score
You are very welcome. Out of curiosity when you had the g2 and the maxx in your hand what made you choose the maxx? I think you made the right decision because I chose the maxx to. Was it for the same reasons or other reasons? At first I brought the Htc1 I forgot all about that purchase. For me the sound in the ear and the speaker in the front was the Best. The camera at night took good shots, and during the day they were little over exposed. At the time I brought it I paid full retail and 2 days afterward my head could not justify it because I paid like $600.00 and all I got was a 4 mega pixel camera. What if I wanted to print a 8x10 I'd be out of luck. So yes sound is number one priority for me but I need or want a well rounded phone.

After I returned the HTC One I went back to the Droid DNA because it had a great screen a good still camera a below avg video camera but a voice in the ear I can understand. The reception Was also great in the HTC phones. As the droid DNA got older the screen cracked and in was getting a bit disturbed about the battery so I went with at first the 928 Lumina after my friend pulled teeth for me to get a windows phone.

Well Well Well I got the Nokia Lumia 928 from craigslist. Without going into detail I hated the windows phone and I almost committed my friend to a nut ward. Everything was a extra step, you didn't even have the date presented correctly it was on a tile displayed as such (sun2.) Talk to text was non existent except in email or texting, on facebook in the original app you couldn't rotate the screen to horizontal. however if you found a facebook substitute app(after looking for a needle in a haystack) it did rtate but the scrolling did not work properly. the tiles were ugly. Where the phone did excel was in the talk to text app (built into the phone.) you gave the phone the contact or phone number, then you gave it the message. The phone read back the message and asked if you wanted to send the text (yes or no) that was better than the maxx touchless control. The Camera was wonderful in the Lumina it had a carl weiss lense. But you couldn't zoom in and out during video. in the update app you could zoom it was very limited. As far as the internet performed it was very smooth, but certain links would not work. After about 3 weeks of ownership I went to the maxx.

With the Maxx I gained on the video quality in comparison to the Droid DNA and I can zoom in and out which i couldn't during video on the Nokia lumia 928. I lost on the still picture quality but it was still acceptable. it was better than the razr which I also owned. however I gained on Battery life, reception, Touchless control (lost out on text to talk app from Nokia) but it still works for me. As far as build I sorta lost out in comparison to the Nokia (that was built like a tank) but the Maxx is lighter which i enjoy. and of course I feel very happy I'm part of the Android community again LOL.

To end this it's really funny when you own a lot of phones you kind of figure out whats important to you. As one manger in Verizon said to me Every phone has got a flaw it's a matter of finding what flaw the customer can live with. How ture.

Actually, I hadn't at all considered the new Maxx until the guy helping me at Verizon asked why I wasn't considering it since I own the Razr Maxx, and the new one is "so much better" than mine. So I took a look at it. First thing I did was take a picture. I was amazed at how much better the camera was than my Razr Maxx. Combine that with the even better battery life (and I think my phone's is pretty dang good) and the touchless control, and that about did it for me. Still, I came home and decided to look at comparison reviews, which is how I ended up on this forum. You can read all the "expert" reviews available, but to me the best thing is to read what the end users say about the phones. I know me, and as much as I want a great camera (real estate photography is part of my business, but I've ALWAYS been a photo buff... Just can never seem to take enough photos, ever!), a great camera doesn't matter if your battery is about to die at a concert or a special event. So I guess #1 on my list is battery life, followed by the camera. I know the LG G2 is still an option, but like I said before... I'm not a huge LG fan and I don't have the trust in their products that I have in Motorola's. So as much as it might be fun to give the G2 a try, I'm wary that the battery life (even though it's pretty good, I've heard) might end up frustrating me. Sure, I'd like to look at a high res screen, but it's not a make-or-break for me between what the two phones offer in resolution. I honestly love my Razr Maxx (minus the fact that it seems to be lagging a bit these last few weeks), so I'm sure the Maxx is going to be better enough for me to feel like I've made the right choice. I'll probably take a few more photos with each one tomorrow, just to be sure, but as of this moment, my plan is to go back to Verizon and move forward with the Maxx.

Thanks again!

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
The only noticeable advantage of g2 is camera. Battery/signal/ease of use is all moto.

One more thing, maxx has a better resale value compared to g2.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, none of them are showing up for me. :/

I was doing this via google drive something went wrong I'm only going to post the child playing. if it's up by the time you get on I've tested it after I logged out and I saw it. If you don't see it I'll find another method.

This is the Droid DNA

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03kMcGlbC1NZDc1MFVJdXR6anc/edit?usp=sharing

This is the Droid Maxx

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03kMcGlbC1NY1dnUlZObWFqUUk/edit?usp=sharing

This is the windows phone Lumina 928 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03kMcGlbC1NZDc1MFVJdXR6anc/edit?usp=sharing

NancyTheNance

Reaction score
Odd that the Droid Maxx photo actually least appeals to me. Seems like it has a yellowish/greenish hue to it. Am I missing something? This actually makes me question my decision, to be honest! LOL

Reaction score
I'm doing everything that was said on google drive

Sorry folks I'm allowing anyone with a link to link to my google drive but everytime I sign out I can't see it from here so I will look for another way to post photo's I just need a little time. Thanks for understanding

NancyTheNance

Reaction score
Okay, I did it! I purchased the Droid Maxx today! I even got the wireless charging pad, a bumper case, screen protectors, and a new bluetooth (special packaging). They allowed me to trade in a (VERY OLD) smartphone and gave me a $100 credit toward everything, so I walked out the door paying a total of about $87 (which included tax on the retail price of the phone, plus the first month's payment of $20.83 on the Edge program). So far, so good. I'll have a better feel for just how good this battery is, in the next few days (I'm fully charging it tonight). Camera seems okay. It's certainly nothing to write home about, but definitely better than the camera was on my Razr Maxx. I LOVE the touchless control. It was so awesome to have my e-mail messages read to me while I was driving! Kind of like having a chauffeur or something (LOL). Anyway, I'm sure as long as the battery life ends up being all it's cracked up to be, I'll probably be satisfied with this phone. I'm probably gonna always wish I had a better camera, but the pros of the phone definitely outweigh that one con.

Thanks to those of you who helped me solidify my decision!

jp0555

Reaction score
I am going to get one of these phones, but with a two year contract. That makes me think the G2 is the better phone because of the semi-future proof specs, Snapdragon 800, 1080p, etc. Besides from the screen and processor these are practically the same, 32 gb, huge batteries, etc. Anyone with the Maxx think the specs will be comparable to those of phones 2 years from now?

NancyTheNance

Reaction score
I am going to get one of these phones, but with a two year contract. That makes me think the G2 is the better phone because of the semi-future proof specs, Snapdragon 800, 1080p, etc. Besides from the screen and processor these are practically the same, 32 gb, huge batteries, etc. Anyone with the Maxx think the specs will be comparable to those of phones 2 years from now?

From all of the research I did on both of these phones (as well as the HTC One and the Samsung Galaxy S4), I would still put the Droid Maxx ahead of the G2. I know the G2 has a "faster" processor and a 1080p screen; however, when it comes to battery life, you just can't beat the Droid Maxx. I'm even extremely happy with my photos on it. IMG_20140210_100758149.jpg