LG G2 Size Comparison with SGS4, HTC One & Sony Xperia Z

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
size-comparison-lgg2-other-top-phones.png

The folks at Phone Arena created a handy little graphic comparing the sizes of the primary Android flagship smartphones to the new LG G2. They included a pic and the dimensions for the Samsung Galaxy S4, the HTC One and the Sony Xperia Z. Over-all the new LG G2 is slightly taller than the SGS4 and the HTC One, but is shorter than the Xperia Z. Likewise the same thing applies to the width of the devices. The LG G2 is thicker than the SGS4 and the Xperia Z, but is thinner than the HTC One. Its weight is identical to the HTC One, which is heavier than the SGS4, but lighter than the Xperia Z.

Where it really stands out is in its edge-to-edge display. The 5.2-inch viewable display area is noticeably more than all the others, even just in pictures. It looks like LG did a good job of increasing the screen size without making the phone noticeably bigger than the other "smaller" flagship phones. What do you guys think of the size?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This is a really helpful comparison. My first thought was "a 5.2" screen is way too big" but if the overall device dimensions compare favorably to the S4 and One, it's actually a neat feat. ;)

-Matt

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I still like my hardware/capacitative buttons. Maybe less of an issue with more ram, but I still get that occasional lag/freeze where the dedicated buttons are handy to go back or kill.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I like that. Kinda miss the GNex's on screen buttons. Big battery too. I'm interested.

BOBD1950

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
Enough of all of the hyperbole on the "specs".. I.E.> IMO, [FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]components are just commodities. It's about time for smart phone mfrs. to focus on building a better device . Also, not just a faster," more" , for sake of MORE features that are useless to 99 % of the users,or a bigger, more numerically-pleasing one.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]There's a very good reason why majority of smart device consumer$ don't know/care how much RAM and type of processor and storage..etc. is in an [/FONT]iPhone 5 [FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]when it's introduced, and it's not because the number is not competitive. ...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The focus is simply: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]it's better.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Ask them about all about the specs that are in their new I phones5/I Pads .... and wait for the blank stares.[/FONT]

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
how did iphone get into this conversation? i understand if this was 2011, but it's 2013 and all the smart people sport android.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
how did iphone get into this conversation? i understand if this was 2011, but it's 2013 and all the smart people sport android.
LOL. True dat.

There's a very good reason why majority of smart device consumer$ don't know/care how much RAM and type of processor and storage..etc. is in an iPhone 5 when it's introduced, and it's not because the number is not competitive. ...

The focus is simply: it's better.

Ask them about all about the specs that are in their new I phones5/I Pads .... and wait for the blank stares.
Not sure I agree 100%, but you raise several good points. Something you said also reminded me of a Moto X report I read today:

Google's Moto X: What the reviewers are saying - Apple 2.0 -Fortune Tech

Joseph Volpe, Engadget. Moto X Review. "The Moto X exudes no tech halo like the Galaxy S 4 or the HTC One because it is the sum of averages. Here's how I see it: You know those people who own iPhones, but don't know which model number they own and also refer to all Android phones as Droids? This phone is for them."
Yeah, I do kinda believe there are a bunch of folks out there that really don't care what's inside the darn thing, as long as it WORKS! ;) Thankfully I'm not one of them!

-Matt

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I do kinda believe there are a bunch of folks out there that really don't care what's inside the darn thing

I think most people that can read will compare posted specs (that's the whole point of a "spec war"). It's just in Apple's case there's no alternative to IOS, so if you stick with Apple it simply doesn't matter what the hardware is.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think most people that can read will compare posted specs (that's the whole point of a "spec war"). It's just in Apple's case there's no alternative to IOS, so if you stick with Apple it simply doesn't matter what the hardware is.
I agree and yet -- every time I go into a Verizon store, and (unwillingly) hear a salesperson schmooze with a not-so-savvy shopper, I totally cringe. The questions start out with things like, "Do you listen to music?" "Do you watch youtube videos?" "Do you browse the web, or use your phone for emails?" These are TOTALLY reasonable questions (even moreso for a prospective first-time smartphone owner), but in reality the salesperson is using them as hooks to steer the shopper to a particular phone. Even worse, it sometimes seems AS IF the salesperson ALREADY has the given phone in mind, and then carefully crafts the "Well, then I'd suggest looking at *this* phone" follow-up to attract/convince the shopper.

I sometimes worry that it's shoppers like that who are really behind the massive growth in Android (or should I say, Droid?) devices. How many owners really comparison-shop and do some due diligence?

EDIT: forgot to add...2 or 3 times, I've eavesdropped (yeah, I'm a creepy guy) on several Android vs. iPhone conversations at the store. Some people come in and are dead-set on a particular platform, others not so much. In the latter case, the particular specs (e.g., SD card, removable battery, screen resolution, etc.) really do come into play, even if one half of the equation is an iPhone.

-Matt

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I sometimes worry that it's shoppers like that who are really behind the massive growth in Android (or should I say, Droid?) devices. How many owners really comparison-shop and do some due diligence?

EDIT: forgot to add...2 or 3 times, I've eavesdropped (yeah, I'm a creepy guy) on several Android vs. iPhone conversations at the store. Some people come in and are dead-set on a particular platform, others not so much. In the latter case, the particular specs (e.g., SD card, removable battery, screen resolution, etc.) really do come into play, even if one half of the equation is an iPhone.

-Matt

I get what you're saying, but I have the opposite perspective. Sprint, and to a lesser extent VZW, kind of got hosed with their Apple deals. If anything, their salespeople would be trying to move a bloated Apple inventory.

As far as I know, there's no incentive to salespeople and no real incremental profit to the carrier in what phone that customer walks out with. My guess is these relatively unknowledgeable salespeople tend to push their favorite phone or simply one they can talk about because the goal is to lock-up that subscriber. If you can't talk confidently and intelligently about a specific phone you will steer the convseration away from that because that's not how to acquire a customer.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I do love the fact that LG was able to use 0.04 inches or 1mm of extra thickness to yield a 3000mAh battery (c'mon Samsung, give me a battery that size and a new back cover). If I didn't already have the S4, I would seriously consider this device.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I do love the fact that LG was able to use 0.04 inches or 1mm of extra thickness to yield a 3000mAh battery (c'mon Samsung, give me a battery that size and a new back cover). If I didn't already have the S4, I would seriously consider this device.

Seriously, who wouldn't trade 1mm of thickness for a bigger battery? Pretty soon you'll be able to get a paper cut from your phone.