Sony Xperia Z vs. HTC Butterfly; Xperia Wins Benchmarks & Others; Loses & Ties Also

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
HTC-Butterfly-vs-Sony-Xperia-Z-benchmark.jpg

Thanks to a translation of an ePrice article by the folks over at UnWiredView, we have a comparison of the new Sony Xperia Z vs. the HTC Butterfly/Droid DNA. This is actually a pretty telling comparison, especially considering how similar the devices are to each other. Both have nearly identical specs including quad-core 1.5GHz Qualcomm processors, 5 inch Full HD (1920 x 1080, 441 ppi) displays, Adreno 320 GPUs, 2GB of RAM and Android Jelly Bean. The results were interesting and mixed.

What was most surprising was the Xperia Z actually bested the Butterfly/Droid DNA in all benchmarks, despite having identical internals. This can only be attributed to software optimizations. The Xperia Z came out ahead in a couple other areas as well. The device is thinner than the Butterfly. It excels in low-lighting photography, and it is dust-proof and waterproof. Also, the battery is slightly larger than the HTC's so it's possible it will get better battery life, (although this wasn't tested).

The HTC device wins out in a few areas however. It has generally better display quality, with the main complaint of the Xperia Z having slightly over-saturated colors. Also, the sound quality was supposedly a bit better on the Butterfly. Finally, pictures taken under "normal" lighting conditions where generally favored on the Butterfly, but this basically makes the two cameras end in a draw effectively.

Overall, the reviewer was impressed with the Xperia Z, and didn't really commit to calling one device better than the other. Ultimately, once the Xperia Z heads to your area of the globe, it could come down to whichever device you prefer for its specific features, and of course, whether it comes to your carrier or not.

Source: UnWiredView

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I saw a video of the Xperia Z taking 999 photos in burst mode in just over one minute. That in itself is pretty awesome, but I wonder what tech they used to write fast enough for all that. Perhaps the storage inside is much faster. My S3 does great burst of 20 photos. I wonder if the number is limited by Samsung or by the hardware's ability to write that data fast enough.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^^. Interesting. I wonder why yours scores so much better than the other... Perhaps it just shows that number-crunching benchmarks aren't all that credible or even useful. Obviously, the performance and responsiveness of a device cannot really be summed up by a numeric score, unless you are talking about games. If one device feels just as fast as another in regular use, then what difference do a few points make? Ultimately, only in graphically intense games would this really make that much of a difference.

What's funny is I still like benchmarks, despite them not really being wholly relevant. Perhaps it's just a hold-over from my PC building days. :)

Psykho

Reaction score
^^. Interesting. I wonder why yours scores so much better than the other... Perhaps it just shows that number-crunching benchmarks aren't all that credible or even useful. Obviously, the performance and responsiveness of a device cannot really be summed up by a numeric score, unless you are talking about games. If one device feels just as fast as another in regular use, then what difference do a few points make? Ultimately, only in graphically intense games would this really make that much of a difference.

What's funny is I still like benchmarks, despite them not really being wholly relevant. Perhaps it's just a hold-over from my PC building days. :)

I just wanted to show that the Quad-core S4 Pro is a beast in the DNA also :p

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The difference in the screen shot in the OP is only a few points tho... The DNA is on the left. Then we see someone post a screen shot with a better score than the Xperia Z. Also a few points difference. I think benchmarks are better measures with mutiple runs. Get an average of the results.

Last edited:

Psykho

Reaction score
The difference in the screen shot in the OP is only a few points tho... The DNA is on the left. Then we see someone post a screen shot with a better score than the Xperia Z. Also a few points difference. I think benchmarks are better measures with mutiple runs. Get an average of the results.

For me the average is 8100 but I have seen over 8300... It's always over 8000