Sluggish performance on rotted/ overclocked Droid

KaliniuS

Reaction score
*** Oops; meant to type "rooted" in the title. My droid is fresh! ***

Alright guys. I need some suggestions. I'm on an original Droid. It's rooted and overclocked with approximately 110 MB of free internal storage.

What happens is after doing certain things like changing the wallpaper or switching the orientation (by opening and closing the physical keyboard), the home screen has to reload all the icons and widgets, which makes it impossible to scroll or do much of anything while it loads. Just about the only thing I can do is pull down the notification bar. It's annoying because it takes about 45 seconds to a minute for it t load. Very frustrating.

Thoughts?

Oh yeah, it's also on 2.2.2.

Last edited:
OP
K

KaliniuS

Reaction score
To my knowledge, I'm using the stock rom. I followed this guide to a T for rooting the phone:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

I'm using the regular home screen, which looks like stock Froyo, so nothing special. I clocked it at 800 MHz using SetCPU. Another strange thing is that once it loads up, everything is smooth as butter. Everything runs great!

... and yeah it's pretty awful. When I want to show off the awesomeness of Android to friends and family, I have to wait for it to do it's "thing." Very frustrated. I need help lol. Would loading a custom rom help?

Last edited:

Dawg72

Reaction score
I was having that problem until I flashed Sourcery rom. This rom screams and is super smooth. The Droid kicks ass and has ever since.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
oh, makes sense, you should go for an alternate rom, they really do remove all the lag associated with the stock droid.

i found the screen re-writing to be really annoying on my stock droid at one point.

If you feel like giving it a try this is my favorite froyo (2.2) based rom project elite

i'm sure someone else might have a fix for the stock launcher lag, i never found it.

OP
K

KaliniuS

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys. Dawg72, I'm trying the Sourcery rom now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: I've installed Sourcery 2.2 and it runs great! The scrolling and everything is quick and smooth. I love it. I'm just trying to figure out how to work everything now...

Quick question: Does anybody know if there's a way to remove the text "SOURCERY" in the notification bar? Maybe change it? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Dawg72

Reaction score
Try going under sourcery settings. You can do damn near anything from there

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
The stick launcher is known to be slow. Switch to a different one (LauncherPro, ADW, etc) would also fix the problem.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I loved the title. lol. It made me think, hmm…rotted….could be the issue…

Once again everyone saying the usual hogwash about installing a custom ROM. Sure that will work because you end up doing a wipe before install. But you can get pretty much the same results with the stock ROM by just doing a factory data reset. Also make sure you have not task killers or antivirus installed.

mr_silent

Reaction score
Just a cache wipe should do wonders for you. Factory reset seems like a bit much.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
K

KaliniuS

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Hookbill: I have Advanced Task Manager installed, but I've chosen to ignore all the tasks that need to always be running. mr_silent: I've cleaned the cache with CacheMate and although it freed up a good amount of space, it did not solve the issue.

I've been using Sourcery rom v2.2.0 for a full day now and have really gotten the hang of it. Everything is exactly the way I want and it runs better than new! I also found a way to change the ERI at the top from "SOURCERY" to "KaliniuS' Droid." Good times! I'm also using the "Bold 'n Black" theme. My phone now runs better than most other non modded Android phones.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Hookbill: I have Advanced Task Manager installed, but I've chosen to ignore all the tasks that need to always be running.

As Hookbill mentioned there is no need for a Task Killer. Ignoring just what you think needs to be running can cause the OS to continually restart a process that the Task Killer continually kills. Android works best when left to its own devices.

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Atk is almost certainly your culprit. It will make your phone sluggish and kill your battery. You're probably using auto kill too right?

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
K

KaliniuS

Reaction score
Atk is almost certainly your culprit. It will make your phone sluggish and kill your battery. You're probably using auto kill too right?

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT using Tapatalk

I've turned off auto kill and automatically check for updates. The phone actually seemed to run about the same with or without it.