Droid Freezes up ALL the time

kcook323

Reaction score
(I'm not rooted, I have the first Droid, FRG22D, if that helps)

Whenever I take my phone off the deck (be it car or home), it is so laggy, but then again, at any given time, it can be that way. It's absolutely frustrating. I'm just wondering if it is because I have the first Droid and it's "old", or if this is just something I'll need to deal with. Or, can it be "fixed"? I do love my Droid, but I really hate the sluggishness of late, to the point I want to sling it across the room at times. :icon_evil: Oh, and in my opinion, it got worse after the last update.

I've debated going back to a regular phone when our contract is up, but I do love the apps. Hoping it's just a Droid thing and not an Android thing. (sigh)

Helpful hints?

Big Fate

Reaction score
(I'm not rooted, I have the first Droid, FRG22D, if that helps)

Whenever I take my phone off the deck (be it car or home), it is so laggy, but then again, at any given time, it can be that way. It's absolutely frustrating. I'm just wondering if it is because I have the first Droid and it's "old", or if this is just something I'll need to deal with. Or, can it be "fixed"? I do love my Droid, but I really hate the sluggishness of late, to the point I want to sling it across the room at times. :icon_evil: Oh, and in my opinion, it got worse after the last update.

I've debated going back to a regular phone when our contract is up, but I do love the apps. Hoping it's just a Droid thing and not an Android thing. (sigh)

Helpful hints?

Most likely a defective phone...

This has happen to me within 3 days of owning my Droid X... Froze up 3 times where I had to physically remove the battery due to power off not working... I took it in and swapped for a new one and havent had any problems with freezing as of yet.. :Fingers crossed:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Droids do not freeze. It's not within their character at all.

Remove any task killers you have. Remove Virus Protection.

Go to settings/privacy/factory data reset.

You will lose your data and unpaid apps. Paid apps will be in the Market waiting for you in your downloads.

If your phone still freezes after that then take it back and get a replacement. It's not a "Droid" thing at all.

Big Fate

Reaction score
Droids do not freeze. It's not within their character at all.

Remove any task killers you have. Remove Virus Protection.

Go to settings/privacy/factory data reset.

You will lose your data and unpaid apps. Paid apps will be in the Market waiting for you in your downloads.

If your phone still freezes after that then take it back and get a replacement. It's not a "Droid" thing at all.

Try telling that to my last phone... It froze up three times withing a 3 day span. May not be a normal thing, but some of us just get the short straws.

So you can't say it doesent happen.

OP
kcook323

kcook323

Reaction score
Thank you both. Well, when I say freeze, it isn't forever (although, today, I got tired of waiting for it to "catch up" and pulled the battery). Does that make sense? Today, someone left a VM, so I picked my phone up off the charger/home dock and immediately went to dial my VM. It rang, but I couldn't put it on speaker phone, or bring up the dialpad. SO frustrating. I finally just pulled the battery. It's more of a lag thing. It can be so frustrating when you are trying to hurry up and call someone (or use an app/browser) and you got to wait for it to do it's thing. I think I will do a factory reset again. I just have to stop and think of what I will lose and what I will need to backup.

OP
kcook323

kcook323

Reaction score
*Oh yes, I meant to mention, I don't use a task killer, or antivirus protection.

b_salgado

Reaction score
Astro file manager will allow you to back up all your apps to your SD card. I agree... Droids are not supposed to freeze. I would back up all my stuff to the SD card and then do a complete factory reset. If that doesn't work, I would go and get another phone and reuse the SD card with all your apps on it.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

This.

Mine is a launch model, and the behavior you describe in no way reflects on normal Droid behavior. Unless you've got it absolutely filled with apps, and your memory is extremely low.