Droid 2 Global overclock: a brief tutorial

cnofzz

Reaction score
Hey guys just rooted my phone using z4 a few days back an was loving the wireless teather, but I was wondering how to overclock.
For those of you who dont know overclocking is a way to increase the speed of your phone's proccessor.
It is fairly easy on regular 2s and x's but the Global's cpu is different. Trust me try to quadrant a Global overclocked on one of the many apps that are out there and you will see what I am talking about.
Your overclocked score will be lower than the stock clock settings everytime guarenteed!
Ok so as for the Tutorial, which might be better listed as a hint.
Get Milestone overclock. It is the only overclock app that works on our 5 speed processor.
When you get milestone open it and click the load button. DO NOT HIT THE AUTO LOAD ON BOOT BUTTON AT ANY TIME. If you do this an try to upload a setting your cpu cant handle you will have to reset your phone. It won't be fun so don't do it! What you have just done is take control of your cpu's throttle. Currently it should be sett at 1000 MHz. To kick things up a notch click your menu button and hit settings this will bring up a custom menu. Click settings. Now you can enter in the top line your desired speed in Kilohertz. I wanted my phone to run at 1.4 GHz so i typed in 1400000. Next you will have to change the voltage. The stock voltage is 60 something but for higher cpu's you will need to provide more maximum aloted power. I run 75 volts on my cpu. Now hit ok and then apply in the original menu. After doing this you will be able to simply use the slider to overclock your phone.

The above steps provide some levels of control over your cpu but do not allow for profile settings like many other programs do. Inorder to do this you must couple milestone with the popular setcpu app. This app will only allow for custom cpu speeds to be set on 4 speed phones like the normal droid 2 and the x but it will accept the speed you just set on milestone. Inorder to create a place on the slider for your new speed we must create a file for the program to read. This is way easier than it sounds. Go to your file manager (I like root explorer) and go to the sd card. Then create a file and title it sepcpu.txt The file will be created. Then long press the file name and scroll to edit with text editor or the like. Inorder to creat the new speeds for the scroll bar name them in Khz from smallest to greatest inorder. for example my file reads: 300000,600000,900000,1200000,1400000
then save the file.
Alternately I have attached my file and you can download it.
Upon opening set cpu click "Show other frequency sets" at the bottom. Then scroll to the bottom of this list and select custom frequencies.
Boom. You now have setcpu working for your Global. You may now set a minimum cpu spead for lighning fast computing, set profiles to set your droid to sip power and stay running longer, and perhaps most importantly create a profile to slow your cpu down if things get too hot under the hood.

I hope that this tutorial/ hint/ guide has been helpful. You will find that a 1.4 GHz handheld is not only faster than anyother overclocked android out ther, but that it is insane and can do most anything ask it to with lightning quickness. Enjoy!

rusty815

Reaction score
I used droid overclock to overclock my d2g to 1.35ghz and undervolting at the same time and I increased my quadrant score by at least 200 points

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

pjtx33

Reaction score
I have a question. I rooted my droid 2 using Z4root, had it overclocked and also downloaded superuser and ROM manager. I downloaded the all clockwork mod recoveries and flashed clock work mod recoveries successfully, then saved my current ROm and went to manage ROMS and could not see my saved current ROM. I am afraid to d/l any ROMs til I can physically see that it has been saved.

Any suggestiions?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
C

cnofzz

Reaction score
I used droid overclock to overclock my d2g to 1.35ghz and undervolting at the same time and I increased my quadrant score by at least 200 points

really? I had problems with the same app because it only uses the 4 speed set up, but if it works for you then I probably wouldnt change it. This technique will overclock anyphone even if it is more complicated.

rusty815

Reaction score
I didnt find a need for 5 speeds, when i set up profiles i only needed four, because i have profiles for when the screen, is off, for when its charging and 3 profiles while on battery

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

+1. It doesn't change the 1st speed and leaves it at 300 but it changes all the rest.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

brentforrent

Reaction score
Hi. I have tried this method, but in setcpu (awesome app) when I bring the slider all the way to 1450, which is the max spees I set, it shows 2900 at the top. Does setcpu think I have a dual core?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

brentforrent

Reaction score
In fact anything over 1000mHz shows up as 2900. The 900 on the slider shows as 1000.

slimpirudude

Reaction score
cnofzz - I appreciate your OP, it is very useful! I was wondering if you could help me with some overclocking/volting if you would? Anyone who is willing to help me out please just let me know!

sent from my freshly rooted droid 2 global using droidforums app

clouse2013

Reaction score
Couldn't get it on 1.4GZ. Got it on 1.3 and working great. On 1.4 got slower actually, lagged like hell. Not sure what my problem was.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Couldn't get it on 1.4GZ. Got it on 1.3 and working great. On 1.4 got slower actually, lagged like hell. Not sure what my problem was.

lagged bad for me too @ 1.4

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Hey guys just rooted my phone using z4 a few days back an was loving the wireless teather, but I was wondering how to overclock.
For those of you who dont know overclocking is a way to increase the speed of your phone's proccessor.........Enjoy!

1300 is working good for me @ 70v.
i didnt need the txt file though, set cpu widget showed 1300 right away, all i had to do was reset the sliders.

thanks

slimpirudude

Reaction score
I use milestone overclock and hit load, then settings change it to 1.35 (although in 13500000) format. Then clock ok and apply. Then simply slide the bar all way to the right and hit apply again. You can check make sure its worked by checking with the system panel app. Also, if you would like to use profiles, simply use setcpu or droid overclock. Good to go! I use it on my global. Give it a shot! ;)

Any questions or comments let me know!

sent from my freshly rooted overclocked droid 2 global using droidforums app

kickyindahead

Reaction score
dont quote me on this .. but i read somewhere that the d2g will automatically throttle down or up when needed . so with my lack of expertise that tells me that there is no reason to use set cpu for profiles... unless you really want to take control of your phone .. i have tried milestone .. and ive had a stable overclock of 1.35 ... 1.4 lagged for me as well as a few posters above me. anyway, someone please correct me and maybe give me some good examples of profiles for setcpu ... i have both on my phone but have never really used them. thanks ..