Should I get a nexus?

OP
E

en28so

Reaction score
It's funny because I am always stuck on 3g at work and home, and even then, I wouldn't be able to use the 4G much would I? Not impressed by their speed either. The most I have been able to pull is about 5mb on speed test. I think I might just go back to my rebooting Droid X. At least I didn't have to worry about limits. It's like I am back on my DROID X, but with limited data instead of unlimited. Go figure.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
en28so said:
Sorry, I meant limited.

They should be called the " designed to force you into a data overage so we can charge you for 2 gigabytes extra even though you only went over by 1 megabyte " plan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

OP
E

en28so

Reaction score
Well , I officialy hate Verizon now ! I returned the phone ,but the $35 conection charge still stands (had to be returned within 3 days ). Not only that ,I also cannot return to my unlimited plan ,so now I'm stuck with limited internet and an old phone ! At least my contract ends in December . After that ,the hell with you Verizon !

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
Well , I officialy hate Verizon now ! I returned the phone ,but the $35 conection charge still stands (had to be returned within 3 days ). Not only that ,I also cannot return to my unlimited plan ,so now I'm stuck with limited internet and an old phone ! At least my contract ends in December . After that ,the hell with you Verizon !

Man I'm sorry it turned out that way for you. That sucks big time.

If you do take the plunge when you're contract is up, it would be good to hear from you as to whether or not the other carriers treat you any better, and under what circumstances. I'm locked in for now... although I came close to changing to ATT. I've always been of the opinion that the top skill of any TeleCo. is a a keen sense of a) what the market will bear and b) just how tight they can set the screws and c) a keen willingness to screw you with telephone reps. only too happy to do so. eg. when I got my nexus the sales dude said I could keep unlimited since I was purchasing before midnight... but when I activated it a few days later, it dumped me to a phone rep and the dope tried to tell me she could not set that up that way because the software wouldn't let her do that... and tried to use the excuse: "well you only use 1/2 a gig anyway..." trying to make me swallow a 2GB limited plan just to get me to go away. But I had the order *printed out* and *in hand* and it said "unlimited". She said she'd call back in 72 hours after working it out with her supervisor or whatever. This is bull**** because if you pay full-fare for the phone they'll give you an unlimited plan. It took them 5 days but a rep DID finally call back from VZW telling me my unlimited was reinstated. But I'll bet that there is an asterisk on my account when I go back for another one down the road.

Suffice it to say I've not heard great things about ATT... but it seems mileage will vary greatly. I expect some folks have better service from one or the other... but I'll bet most of us have been screwed one way or anther by all of them. I suppose one advantage of the other guys is the GSM network but if you don't travel abroad, perhaps it's not a big advantage.

I'm not a huge fan of any of the carriers, but I expect if more folks were like you and actually put their money where their mouth is, then these TeleCo's might be more customer friendly... We just stay with these respective jerks because it's easier. That's one reason (I think) they all fear android and why they try so hard to subvert it with their restrictions and bloat because it *IS* easy to move from one carrier to another (so long as you stay with android) as the data transfer is easily done.... VZW backup assistant is actually on my Gnex... but wtf do I need it for? So VZW can make me think I need it when I switch phones?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

If you're smart (this will be my plan as well), when your contract is up, buy a GSM unlocked phone at full retail and then you'll be free to carrier hop all you want until you find one you like. Just don't lock into a long term contract. You'll have At&t and T-Mobile (no Verizon [good riddance] and no Sprint) to choose from as far as the large carriers go, a few smaller regional carriers and a whole slew of pay as you go carriers. The other positive to this is if you plan to travel overseas or where ever, all you'll need is a SIM card.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Simple mobile and clear are both two pretty good providers that are extremely cheap. Simple I believe works off the sprint network and can have even better service in ny at least. They also have 4g.

When I go to the store to upgrade and they tell me I will lose unlimited internet I'm going to leave Verizon too.

OP
E

en28so

Reaction score
All of us that are loosing unlimited data (which I did already ) once our contracts are up ,should kick Verizon in the nuts by going somewhere else !

alboboy10

Reaction score
I am. I don't care if the service is worse. I don't use internet that much but it's just out of principle that I want to switch. They're making everything really expensive.

OP
E

en28so

Reaction score
I am. I don't care if the service is worse. I don't use internet that much but it's just out of principle that I want to switch. They're making everything really expensive.

I am sure glad that you are. We need to show the power of our wallets.

OP
E

en28so

Reaction score
There's a bunch of Verizon and sprint galaxy Nexus used and in good condition for less than $200 on ebay btw.

OP
E

en28so

Reaction score
Well, good news. Verizon will let me go back to unlimited 3G on my next billing cycle. I don't hate them so much anymore. I will buy a pre owned nexus so that I can keep my unlimited data (hopefully). I should have done this from the beginning.

Jung136

Reaction score
I came from the X and I LOVE this phone! you can't go wrong. Only thing I miss is the long battery life (due to a lack of 4G) and at first i sort of missed speed dial. I also have to say the 5 megapixel camera on this phone is better than the 8 megapixel on the Droid X. No more Motorola for me! :p

Yup the pure android experience is so slick i'm not even jealous of my friend's GSIII