Trade s3 for nexus?

jamjr74

Reaction score
Ok I have the galaxy s3 and am considering trading for a nexus. I had 3 separate nexus for Verizon but had way too many connection and battery issues to keep it. The s3 does not have the same issues I experienced. I do prefer the design of the nexus however and prefer the customizability. Have the connection and battery issues been resolved on the nexus???? Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you last winter. I had 3 gnex's and at that time they all sucked.
I recently got a hold of another one and I'm very pleased with this one. Its still a bit crappy with reception (compared to all my moto's) but no where near as bad as it was and Ive had great results with the battery life in this one. I charge it at night and it will last me all day with moderate use. :biggrin:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What were you doing regarding customizability? Flashing ROMs?

Battery issues are a forgotten problem with ROMs though radios remain roughly the same as long as it's on 4.0.4. I live in a strong Verizon area so I never have issues with signal.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Do not trade the sg3 for a nexus. Just go online and check out eBay or swappa and buy a nexus. When you do get your nexus go jb. Been on jb since its release and will not be going back to ICS.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
i've had connectivity probs with all three 4g lte phones i've had with verizon, yes it's better now-because they're fixing their network. :biggrin: DancingNexus

Last edited:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
My Nexus works perfectly - I'd consider a trade just because I'm making cases for the S3...

Not that I would be happy about it - love the GN.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the form factor of the GN is far better than the S3.

If you compare the two they are about the same size. They are both slippery phones :) And they are about the same speed.

The S3 is sexier because it's new and because Samsung has been throwing money at it. They sold a ton of SII's and I bet they sell a ton of SIII's.

I've spent time with both and I would choose the GN - I love it. The only reason I would switch is to be able to use the new cases I made for the SIII. I'm sure the SIII functionality is just as good.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
By the way - Verizon has the SIII off in the corner because they make more off the RAZR line. I had to ask where the SIII was to find it and it was in back and not featured.

The other carriers sell it much harder. This Verizon/Motorola thing has to end.

wcjeep

Reaction score
I didn't have connection issues with my GN. I also live in a great LTE area. Now have the S3. Again, no issues where I live.

Reaction score
s3 is much better than nexus

why? :icon_eek:

is it because it has that screen wakeup marketing ploy that senses your eyes? :p that thing's about as useful as face unlock on the GN, which i've never used, nor had the desire to. samsung always sticks in a nice sounding, yet realistically useless marketing feature in it's phones :biggrin:

meaker

Reaction score
Drop data still happens for me on the gn. Not as much as before. I also still have the mic problem. Thou I haven't noticed it since being on patient zero v3 rom

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok I have the galaxy s3 and am considering trading for a nexus. I had 3 separate nexus for Verizon but had way too many connection and battery issues to keep it. The s3 does not have the same issues I experienced. I do prefer the design of the nexus however and prefer the customizability. Have the connection and battery issues been resolved on the nexus???? Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

I have both phones in my household and I can honestly say the GS3 is a far better phone from a hardware standpoint. Software though, the Nexus wins because of the pure Google experience and ability to root and customize.

Back to the hardware, the S4 processor is a beast and runs much more efficient than the Nexus, leading to a snappy UI and incredible battery life for a Verizon LTE phone. The screen is improved - slightly larger with more accurate colors than the Nexus. The camera completely blew me away. No comparison here, the Nexus is complete crap compared to the GS3. Best camera I've tested on a phone so far. Last but not least, the radios also seem to be much improved for a Samsung phone. Not a single issue so far - in fact I don't think I've seen it slip out of 4g yet.

I would get this phone in a heartbeat, if not for my need to tinker with software. I don't like hacked work-arounds so the locked bootloader is a deal breaker for me. The only hope for this phone is if something useful can be pulled from the Verizon Developer Edition.