Trade s3 for nexus?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I dont speak spanish either lol. But I saw 4.1.1 in video. I expect them to keep touchwiz. When I had my sg3 i put apex launcher on it.

I know, I was just giving you a hard time! I will always have a Nexus phone from here on out.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like both phones. The galaxy s3 is really light (I thought the nexus was really light) and the s3 feels great in your hands, but I hate all the skins these companies put on these phones. Samsung's touchwiz to me feels very cartoonish. I've had Motorolas, HTC, never a Samsung except the nexus.

Touchwiz really bothers me. And I know that you can customize your phone to make it look different, but that for me is where the nexus wins. It's the first android I've had where I tried downloading different launchers and I deleted them after two minutes. It feels better stock and I don't want to change anything about it visually.

Now idk how great battery life is on the s3, but I bet it's not that much better than the nexus, and I'm sure performance is about the same. The biggest advantage with nexus is that you'll always have an up to date device.

I'm waiting to see what will happen with Motorola now that Google took over and fired 4000 people and claimed that they will focus on one device a year.

I'll be running AOSP JB on the GS3. No touchwiz for me. Don't forget your Nexus is not up to date officially. The devs keep our phones updated, not Verizon. It will be the same on the GS3. With the bootloader unlocked now, development is going to explode.

Regarding battery life and performance, it's night and day. The camera is far better as well. From a hardware standpoint, the Nexus can't compare.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

alboboy10

Reaction score
sbenson said:
I'll be running AOSP JB on the GS3. No touchwiz for me. Don't forget your Nexus is not up to date officially. The devs keep our phones updated, not Verizon. It will be the same on the GS3. With the bootloader unlocked now, development is going to explode.

Regarding battery life and performance, it's night and day. The camera is far better as well. From a hardware standpoint, the Nexus can't compare.

I don't root my phone so I would have to keep touchwiz. Depends on the person I guess.

And I doubt it's night and day. I have friends with the s3 who complain about battery life as well, and the performance as well from what I've seen is side by side. If anything the nexus can be smoother because it doesn't have any skins on it.

Why can't it compare from a hardware point of view?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score

Benson's a traitor. :D

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't root my phone so I would have to keep touchwiz. Depends on the person I guess.

And I doubt it's night and day. I have friends with the s3 who complain about battery life as well, and the performance as well from what I've seen is side by side. If anything the nexus can be smoother because it doesn't have any skins on it.

You don't root? The fact still remains that you are not running the most current software on your Nexus, and never will be, as long as you're on Verizon.

Night and day may have been a bit harsh, but the difference in performance between the two is undeniable. Even when the GS3 is stock, it's far smoother and has WAY better battery life than the Nexus. 24+ hours is easily achieved stock, without neutering your phone by turning everything off. I suspect your friends who have battery issues probably don't know how to diagnose a rouge app that's constantly sucking power. G+ was destroying my wife's battery until I diagnosed it. Ever since she's averaged 24+ hours per day.

The Nexus can't compare in hardware because it's completely outclassed. The S4 processor is much better - faster, smoother, better battery life. The screen is a smidge larger, but looks much better in side by side comparisons. Camera? Well, we all know how this one goes. The GS3 has the best camera period, the Nexus...doesn't. The radios are better. The speaker is louder. The only two things that are truly better about this Nexus, in my opinion, are the overall design (love it still) and the on screen nav buttons (I think all phones should move to this).

Look, I'm not trying to knock the Nexus, it's a fine phone by itself. I'm a day 1 purchaser and I still love it. But as with all technology, especially phones, better stuff comes out all the time. This is the case with the Nexus and the GS3. The GS3 is just plain better. The argument that the Nexus is pure android isn't really valid for non-rooters because Verizon can't/won't keep it up to date anyway. And for those of us who do root, the unlocking of the GS3 bootloader just opened up a world of possibilities.

Benson's a traitor. :D

Easy now, I still love my Nexus. I just gotta play :)

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

Time to root that phone and starting loving some Jelly Bean! Better phone argument aside, we still have the phone that the OS was designed on!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

You don't have to be rooted to use apex launcher.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
You don't have to be rooted to use apex launcher.

I love that both Apex and Nova injected their launchers with JB goodness. I set my wife up with Nova when she first got the phone and it was clunky as all hell so I took it off. When they updated last week, I loaded it back up and was instantly impressed - felt just like my Nexus.

alboboy10

Reaction score
tgyberg said:
Time to root that phone and starting loving some Jelly Bean! Better phone argument aside, we still have the phone that the OS was designed on!

I don't know really know how to put roms on it and do the rest of the stuff you guys know how to do so well. I would love to be able to root it but I'm afraid of messing up the phone and having a pointless device in my hands lol

alboboy10

Reaction score
sbenson said:
You don't root? The fact still remains that you are not running the most current software on your Nexus, and never will be, as long as you're on Verizon.

Night and day may have been a bit harsh, but the difference in performance between the two is undeniable. Even when the GS3 is stock, it's far smoother and has WAY better battery life than the Nexus. 24+ hours is easily achieved stock, without neutering your phone by turning everything off. I suspect your friends who have battery issues probably don't know how to diagnose a rouge app that's constantly sucking power. G+ was destroying my wife's battery until I diagnosed it. Ever since she's averaged 24+ hours per day.

The Nexus can't compare in hardware because it's completely outclassed. The S4 processor is much better - faster, smoother, better battery life. The screen is a smidge larger, but looks much better in side by side comparisons. Camera? Well, we all know how this one goes. The GS3 has the best camera period, the Nexus...doesn't. The radios are better. The speaker is louder. The only two things that are truly better about this Nexus, in my opinion, are the overall design (love it still) and the on screen nav buttons (I think all phones should move to this).

Look, I'm not trying to knock the Nexus, it's a fine phone by itself. I'm a day 1 purchaser and I still love it. But as with all technology, especially phones, better stuff comes out all the time. This is the case with the Nexus and the GS3. The GS3 is just plain better. The argument that the Nexus is pure android isn't really valid for non-rooters because Verizon can't/won't keep it up to date anyway. And for those of us who do root, the unlocking of the GS3 bootloader just opened up a world of possibilities.

Easy now, I still love my Nexus. I just gotta play :)

So how would you cater to a rogue app? Disable it? What's the point of having a smart phone if u have to look out for certain apps.

And idk to be honest I played with the s3, it's a great phone which I'm trying to get my girlfriend to buy but as far as the phone being better than the nexus I really don't see it. And I prefer the screen of the nexus to the s3. The camera is far better on the s3.

I'm contemplating rooting my phone, getting kind of tired of Verizon.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I don't know really know how to put roms on it and do the rest of the stuff you guys know how to do so well. I would love to be able to root it but I'm afraid of messing up the phone and having a pointless device in my hands lol

Do what I did, read a bunch on it, ask questions and watch a lot of youtube "how to" vids. It all seems very complicated at first but as you do the research things start to unfold for you and look a lot easier! Also, the only way to brick this device is to actually smash it with a brick! So those worries are off the table.

alboboy10

Reaction score
tgyberg said:
Do what I did, read a bunch on it, ask questions and watch a lot of youtube "how to" vids. It all seems very complicated at first but as you do the research things start to unfold for you and look a lot easier! Also, the only way to brick this device is to actually smash it with a brick! So those worries are off the table.

Ok I'm going on vacation tonight for a week as soon as I get back I'm doing it.

Any recommendations for roms that are efficient, smooth, battery etc with jb though?!

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Ok I'm going on vacation tonight for a week as soon as I get back I'm doing it.

Any recommendations for roms that are efficient, smooth, battery etc with jb though?!

Didja notice the BILLBOARD that I have in my signature?! :p