Should I get a nexus?

OP
E

en28so

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger! I got 15 days to see if I like it. I did have to reboot it when I got to work, since I didn't even have 3g. Working fine right now. No 4G. Other people got Verizon phones and they got the same issue. Only 3g inside the building. Hopefully I won't have to do that again. No 4G at my house either. Not even 3g sometimes. My DROID X never had issues with 3g, so hopefully I can flash another radio with a rom maybe? Running stock right now.

OP
E

en28so

Reaction score
OK so I unlocked, and rooted already, but I am confused as how to flash my first rom. I want to go straight to JB. What is all this talk about "toro only"?

OP
E

en28so

Reaction score
My stock build number is IMM76Q. I'm assuming I have to take that into consideration?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I see that "toro" is for the GN on Verizon.

Yes, Toro is the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Maguro is the GSM (International, AT&T, T-Mobile, everywhere else) Galaxy Nexus.

ToroPlus is the Sprint Galaxy Nexus.

Pay special attention to the version you try to flash and only flash Toro.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK so I unlocked, and rooted already, but I am confused as how to flash my first rom. I want to go straight to JB. What is all this talk about "toro only"?

You want to go straight to Jelly Bean. Do this:
  • Download the JB Bootloader; here or here. It can be anywhere on your virtual SD card.
  • Download the JB Rom you want. If you want something close to stock, I'd suggest Bugless Beast; here or here. It can be anywhere on your virtual SD card.
  • Boot into recovery. On stock, power the phone down, then hold volume up + down while then holding power. Wait for it to vibrate then release.
  • Once in recovery, flash the JB Bootloader in whatever recovery you have. Clockwork I assume? Just use the install from sd option.
  • Reboot your recovery; it might be under advanced.
  • Create a Nandroid backup.
  • Now to flash:
    • Select mounts and storage; then format the System only.
    • Back out to the main menu and select wipe data/factory reset. Now you're ready to flash.
    • Select install zip from sd card; navigate to where ever you put it and install. If you flashed a Rom other than Bugless, you'll have to flash Gapps as well. Wait for it to finish then reboot.
You should boot up into Bugless Beast or whatever Rom you chose. First boot will take a while, be patient. Each boot should get quicker and quicker. Once booted, do the normal sign in and market restore and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
OP
E

en28so

Reaction score
You want to go straight to Jelly Bean. Do this:
  • Download the JB Bootloader; here or here. It can be anywhere on your virtual SD card.
  • Download the JB Rom you want. If you want something close to stock, I'd suggest Bugless Beast; here or here. It can be anywhere on your virtual SD card.
  • Boot into recovery. On stock, power the phone down, then hold volume up + down while then holding power. Wait for it to vibrate then release.
  • Once in recovery, flash the JB Bootloader in whatever recovery you have. Clockwork I assume? Just use the install from sd option.
  • Reboot your recovery; it might be under advanced.
  • Create a Nandroid backup.
  • Now to flash:
    • Select mounts and storage; then format the System only.
    • Back out to the main menu and select wipe data/factory reset. Now you're ready to flash.
    • Select install zip from sd card; navigate to where ever you put it and install. If you flashed a Rom other than Bugless, you'll have to flash Gapps as well. Wait for it to finish then reboot.
You should boot up into Bugless Beast or whatever Rom you chose. First boot will take a while, be patient. Each boot should get quicker and quicker. Once booted, do the normal sign in and market restore and you should be good to go.

Thanks. I went with Vicious JB miui, but I messed up since I don't really like MIUI. I had no problems flashing. All I did was power+up and down button, did a nadroid, wiped data cache and installed rom. Working good right now, but I'm going to try Vicious J.B. 4.1 now. I'm using the custom recovery from wugs galaxy nexus root tool kit, but I read that this recovery causes some issues with J.B. I'm looking for the best battery life, so hopefully the butternutz kernell will work with this rom. I read that butternutz has the best battery life. Any thoughts? Or whats your combination? Thanks.

OP
E

en28so

Reaction score
OK, I switched to the butternutz rom. Super fast, but my battery is still going to hell. I am going to let it go to 10% down, then charge it with phone off like some people have said to do here. All sync gps is off, so....

CBMGGM

Reaction score
It will take a couple of days for the rom to settle in. Also make sure you clear battery stats and recalibrate too. Finding the rom is the easy part; getting the right kernel to achieve performance / battery life is where the fun begins. I'm running BAMF Paridigm JB with the Trinity kernel. Battery life is decent; not great but better than Franco's.

ambrown

Reaction score
So I also have a question for Gnex owners. My phone got killed by a swimming pool about a month ago and I've been making do with this Droid Eris I got from my sister. But I've been eyeing the Gnex deal at Best Buy as well. But a concern I have is the soft menu keys; when I tried out the Gnex at verizon their floor model had permanent burn in of those soft keys. Now I realize that the floor model is on constantly and so it's not really under normal conditions. But have any of you Gnex owners seen any burn in, image retention?

From my Eris (rooted 2.1) using Droid Forums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
It will take a couple of days for the rom to settle in. Also make sure you clear battery stats and recalibrate too. Finding the rom is the easy part; getting the right kernel to achieve performance / battery life is where the fun begins. I'm running BAMF Paridigm JB with the Trinity kernel. Battery life is decent; not great but better than Franco's.

See now for me franco.kernel has awesome battery life. You just have to see what works best as every phone will be different! And yea, it does take a couple of days for things to settle in. I notice more speed after a couple of days after making a change.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
So I also have a question for Gnex owners. My phone got killed by a swimming pool about a month ago and I've been making do with this Droid Eris I got from my sister. But I've been eyeing the Gnex deal at Best Buy as well. But a concern I have is the soft menu keys; when I tried out the Gnex at verizon their floor model had permanent burn in of those soft keys. Now I realize that the floor model is on constantly and so it's not really under normal conditions. But have any of you Gnex owners seen any burn in, image retention?

From my Eris (rooted 2.1) using Droid Forums

I've had my phone for 8 months and I get a little image retention that goes away right away. No burn in what so ever.

CBMGGM

Reaction score
Yep each phone can be a little different. I'll let Trinity settle in for a more days. Can I ask what rom you are running? I've read that the GLaDos V2.1 kernel is decent too. I have it waiting for me on the SD card.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Yep each phone can be a little different. I'll let Trinity settle in for a more days. Can I ask what rom you are running? I've read that the GLaDos V2.1 kernel is decent too. I have it waiting for me on the SD card.

I'm on BAMF as well. I really like it!

CBMGGM

Reaction score
BAMF is definitely fast. I did notice right off that Google was trying to sync everything. Sneaky little buggers. I also tried two other JB roms ; not as polished as this one though. I have only had one bug. For whatever reason when I used Antutu it would activate my LED flash and kept it on! Removed the app and my phone's be fine since. Never liked the app anyway. You can skew the scores very easily. I can stay on BAMF for a while; me phone happy = me happy :)