Screen Rotate Bug? - RAZR Maxx

EXCellR8

Reaction score
I just picked up a Droid Razr Maxx over the weekend; for the most part I really like it, but I am having one issue which is starting to annoy me. It seems that certain apps or games will cause the screen's auto rotate to lock vertical and the ONLY way I can fix it is to turn the phone completely off. I have the settings configured to allow auto rotate but disabling/re-enabling that option has no affect once the screen is "locked." Apps that need the screen to go horizontal will still work and turn the screen but even so, upon exiting them, the screen is still stuck in the upright position and cannot be rotated! Is there any way to fix this or am I just going to have to live with it for now? Not a real pressing issue just more of an annoyance because I like to rotate the screen for texting, videos, and other stuff... I've searched around and there doesn't seem to be any information on this specific model; there's no actual button on the phone which locks the screen or anything.

Other than this the phone has been fine albeit the charging takes forever and I'm stuck on GB for the time being. It's my first smartphone so I haven't really tinkered with it too much. Thanks in advance for any help!!

nightwaves

Reaction score
droid razr maxx screen rotate bug?

I am having the same problem. It usually occurs when I am using the Google navigation with the car dock.

OP
E

EXCellR8

Reaction score
So I haven't made any progress with this nor have I found a solution anywhere. I guess I should blame Motoblur for the bug although I don't know enough about the OS or the other changes to the UI Motorola may have made. I'm not going to go screwing around with ROMs or anything but I would like to find a fix for this now, whether it's not officially supported or what have you. Seems like this issue isn't addressed anywhere though...

mleber

Reaction score
I've had the MAXX for a week and a half. It's been the perfect phone. Yesterday it started to not auto rotate, just out of the blue. Auto rotate is checked in the display settings, I even unchecked and rechecked it to see if it would work. The only time it rotates is for Netflix but I think that program is written for horizontal view. Google maps, Jetflicks, etc all stay vertical.

Has anyone called Verizon? I might have to get in the frustrating queue to ask the question....

gportnoy

Reaction score
Having the same issue on my Razr since the most recent OTA. I noticed that if I launch Elixir when this problem is happening and take a look at the orientation sensor, it's jumping all over the place. After a reboot the problem goes away. I suspect some app causes this bug to trigger, but haven't found the app yet.

mleber

Reaction score
Having the same issue on my Razr since the most recent OTA. I noticed that if I launch Elixir when this problem is happening and take a look at the orientation sensor, it's jumping all over the place. After a reboot the problem goes away. I suspect some app causes this bug to trigger, but haven't found the app yet.

I rebooted this afternoon and am ok now too. I agree that some recently downloaded app did this....and now to figure out what...

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmm the only thing I notice is the stock launcher's home screens don't rotate. Every other menu in the stock OS does(settings, app drawer etc). Apps rotate no problem(there are a few that are designed like netflix ).

Haven't noticed a sticking bug, yet...
----posted maxx'ed out----

OP
E

EXCellR8

Reaction score
I agree that some recently downloaded app did this....and now to figure out what...

if you do find it please let us know!! at first i was thinking a game which only used vertical orientation was causing it but sometimes it just happens... so possibly a background app?

iqmike

Reaction score
It is not any user installed 3rd party apps. Just got phone with nothing installed from market. Had phone about 6 hrs before OTA notification. updated phone and left phone stock to get used to it before installing market apps. Auto rotate glitch showed up. I dont know if it was a glitch pre update cuz as i said, I only had phone like 6 hrs before update. hope they fix soon.

OP
E

EXCellR8

Reaction score
First thing I did when I got mine was look for OS updates so I can't say as to whether or not the bug existed fresh out of the box... but it certainly makes me want to change to a custom OS. I really wish we would just get 4.0 already I feel like that should have happened by now... at least it would help me figure out the cause of this annoying bug. I really like the phone it's just a shame that something this stupid is hindering my experience with it.

OP
E

EXCellR8

Reaction score
UPDATE w/ Possible Solution!

ok so I think i may have figured out a way to fix (or prevent) this bug from occurring; wanted to share. while i still haven't found the absolute cause of the problem i have found that if i let the screen time out while it's rotated horizontally it will stay like that until returning to the home screen, or any app that requires the vertical orientation. this then causes the auto-rotate to not work until rebooting the phone (POWER + VOL DOWN button). if you let the screen time out while it's vertical this doesn't seem to happen, and the auto-rotate will work fine. just a theory but so far so good, i've been trying to make sure to return to the home screen, or anything else using the regular orientation, before letting the screen time out.

b4belmont

Reaction score
I had the problem on my Razr after a recent update. Re-boot and no problem...

2oldman

Reaction score
My 2 month old Razr has just yesterday started having Auto-rotate issues. I have to turn the phone off to fix it. Must be some update issue.... Also I've had troubles getting the Hotspot to work the first time. Have to turn that off and on maybe 3 times.

trtuttle

Reaction score
happening in my razr also. Very annoying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums