Issues with RAZR auto rotate

gunrsm8

Reaction score
Not sure what is going on with my RAZR MAXX, but this is the third RAZR phone I've had that locks up in portrait mode and will not auto rotate. First two were regular RAZRs.. First RAZR worked fine until the automatic phone update in February. After screwing with it for a month, finally contacted Verizon and they replaced the phone. One day and it, too, would lock up in portrait mode. Verizon was contacted and actually replaced that phone with the RAZR MAXX. Sigh, I'll be darned if this phone is not doing the same thing. Each one has locked up in the portrait mode; the only way to get it rotating again is to reboot. I've done a factory reset; now I'm in the process of reloading my apps one at a time to see if it is an app issue. I am at the end of my rope.....can ANYONE out there help, because Verizon support has NO clue. I've even contacted Motorola support who had me clear data under the homescreen......

MsRuthieB

Reaction score
I have found that if you go to your settings, display, and uncheck the auto rotate box; then turn off your phone and restart.
Once restarted, re-check the box and it will work again. Doing a hard reset of your phone tends to also change other things I don't want changed. I hope that helps.

Arcuss88

Reaction score
I too have experienced the no auto-rotate issue as well as my wife. We both got the RAZR on 2/15, I didn't notice right away so I couldn't say exactly if it was associated with an update or a specific app but since it's happening to both mine & my wife's I'm thinking it's an OS bug, but without going one by one on both and finding common apps (which I'm planning on doing) I can't point any fingers.
A shutdown will re-enable it but will only last for a few hours. I've also tried toggling the Setup\Display\Auto-Rotate without a reboot and that doesn't have an effect. The only thing I've found to make it start working again is a shutdown but that is only temporary.
For me it is more of an annoyance when browsing the Web as that trends to be when I try to rotate. Of apps require the phone to be in landscape that works fine.

Any help would be much appreciated!

OP
G

gunrsm8

Reaction score
Glad to hear I am not the only one experiencing this issue via your reply AND through Verizon themselves....they've finally started getting the same complaint from others besides me, lol! If you have not called them, I would strongly urge you to do so, cause I can tell you now, it isn't the apps, at least not as I have experienced. I do know this issue appeared after the auto update in February on my RAZR purchased in December. Due to my complaining, they upgraded me to the MAXX, but it did the same. My big issue with them is that I paid a pretty penny for this phone and I expect it to work as it's suppose to. After posting here (and before I called them AGAIN), I took the phone back to factory reset and, thinking it might be an app (as you have), started adding apps one at a time. Found it would do it anyway, with or without apps. Therefore, contacted Verizon again and received another RAZR MAXX Tuesday. My frustration comes from texting; I am hearing impaired and the majority of my communication is via email and text. I have difficulty texting when the phone is in portrait mode. New phone has been loaded up with EVERYTHING I want and, so far (day two), I've had no issues. If I do, they say they will put me in a different model phone. If it comes to that, then I will have to decide if I can be patient (not one of my strong traits) enough to wait for the fix/patch (which I am pretty sure will be forthcoming), or just give up the MAXX. Gonna be a tough choice, cause when this phone is working, it is AWESOME; battery life cannot be beat!

Last edited:

Arcuss88

Reaction score
Well it looks like auto rotate had been working for two days now since the ICS update on Sunday. Can anyone else confirm that it has been resolved?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

OP
G

gunrsm8

Reaction score
Yay, no more issues with the auto rotate, too, since the ICS update, but, boo, now I'm having issues while texting....my keyboard will lock up in the middle of a text and leave the screen, if I'm making sense. Have to wait a second or two, the tap the space and the screen comes back up. Is this happening to anyone else?

Arcuss88

Reaction score
gunrsm8 said:
Yay, no more issues with the auto rotate, too, since the ICS update, but, boo, now I'm having issues while texting....my keyboard will lock up in the middle of a text and leave the screen, if I'm making sense. Have to wait a second or two, the tap the space and the screen comes back up. Is this happening to anyone else?

Hmm, I haven't heard/seen that happening, and I haven't heard my wife mention anything like that either. She is a big texter so I think I'd heard hey mention something if she was having an issue with the keyboard. I would check around this forum to see of anyone else is reporting a similar issue.
Does it happen when you use the normal Tap keyboard or Swype our both?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums