[Rumor] Verizon Droid Prime Time! Exclusive in Oct; The Real Reason No SGS2

EFGantry

Reaction score
Curious, I seen post that says this is a dev phone, does that mean a regular Droid lover should pass on this phone?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

no way!! a Nexus device is an enthusiast's dream phone! "dev'r phone" means that it's wide open - no locked bootloader, no OEM skins (just stock android), no bloatware, etc.

sb1831

Reaction score
After thinking about this for a while, I can't see it being a pure Google experience device. The Nexus name is associated with google dev phones. They're the first to receive updates, and they come sans carrier installed bloat. Yes the OG Droid wasn't locked down but if I recall correctly, it still came with a few apps not native to android ( maybe amazon mp3? and a couple others). Not to mention even the OG Droid got its updates from Motorola NOT Google. Nexus device updates come from Google. While this may be similar to the upcoming Nexus device, I have a hard time believing that Google would compromise the Nexus name by allowing carrier controlled bloat to be installed on the phone just to gain the "Droid" branding. Nexus to most equates to unlocked and bloat free. Droid is typically associated with VZW and figuring out how to uninstall the bloat on it(in most cases)

I feel that with the Google acquisition of Motorola, Google has absolutely NO incentive to compromise the Nexus name by slapping the Droid branding on this phone. My opinion is that the phone will be on par or better than the Bionic and Vigor but be loaded with pre-installed bloatware as all Droid branded devices have. I have my doubts as to whether this phone will be the first with 4.0 as well. I believe at Google I/O they stated a new Nexus device would premier the software(could be wrong) Several things to me just say Samsung just said "We can't get the LTE radio into a suitable form factor to fall into the GalaxySII line, I guess we'll give it the Droid branding." Droid and Nexus are two valuable and separate names for Android fans, so I wouldn't get too excited about this rumor.

les017

Reaction score
^^^^ Armed with no additional insider info, and until proven otherwise, I had come to a similar suspicion as sb1831 ^^^^

Something about this isn't quite adding up, at least in my mind, as a true Nexus device

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
A) I highly doubt boot loader will be locked on this. Unlocked boot loader is kinda the signature for Nexus.
B) This will most likely NOT be a "Droid" anything but will most likely carry the "Nexus"....meaning Nexus Prime
C) You guys are most likely looking at my next phone. I managed to get my upgrade back from Verizon so I will be holding onto it for this.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
oh....and if it does have the Nexus name it will hopefully be bloatfree to directly compete with the idont and the ....lol....Bionic which I don't see competing much against this.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
That was harsh, my apologies.

It's all good. I'm just stating opinions of others. Like I said, I would take this phone if it came to Verizon, I would just get the Bionic until then. I promise I'm not totally biased for the Bionic. I even defended the Prime in this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...06-bionic-prime-no-brainer-give-me-break.html

Just going by what they said since there isn't any concrete info, everything is just rumors now.

Code:
[URL="http://androidandme.com/2011/08/devices/samsung-reveals-galaxy-s-ii-lte-before-it-announces-the-regular-versions-this-week/"]Samsung reveals Galaxy S II LTE before it announces the regular US versions this week | Android and Me[/URL]

True, but I just don't believe we'll be getting an LTE version right now. I really don't think they would announce the LTE GS2 for the US in Europe if we have a US Samsung even tomorrow. Maybe we get it later, maybe we get the Droid (Nexus) Prime.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
After thinking about this for a while, I can't see it being a pure Google experience device. The Nexus name is associated with google dev phones. They're the first to receive updates, and they come sans carrier installed bloat. Yes the OG Droid wasn't locked down but if I recall correctly, it still came with a few apps not native to android ( maybe amazon mp3? and a couple others). Not to mention even the OG Droid got its updates from Motorola NOT Google. Nexus device updates come from Google. While this may be similar to the upcoming Nexus device, I have a hard time believing that Google would compromise the Nexus name by allowing carrier controlled bloat to be installed on the phone just to gain the "Droid" branding. Nexus to most equates to unlocked and bloat free. Droid is typically associated with VZW and figuring out how to uninstall the bloat on it(in most cases)

I feel that with the Google acquisition of Motorola, Google has absolutely NO incentive to compromise the Nexus name by slapping the Droid branding on this phone. My opinion is that the phone will be on par or better than the Bionic and Vigor but be loaded with pre-installed bloatware as all Droid branded devices have. I have my doubts as to whether this phone will be the first with 4.0 as well. I believe at Google I/O they stated a new Nexus device would premier the software(could be wrong) Several things to me just say Samsung just said "We can't get the LTE radio into a suitable form factor to fall into the GalaxySII line, I guess we'll give it the Droid branding." Droid and Nexus are two valuable and separate names for Android fans, so I wouldn't get too excited about this rumor.

Interesting post. Have you looked at this article at Android Central?

How might a Droid Prime affect the future of Android's Nexus line? | Android Central

Insidious

Reaction score
I think this all started with Jerry Hildenbrand on the Android Central podcats, but I could be wrong. I think it was an idea because Verizon might want to brand the nexus line, and they might even lock it down because you can abuse the network so much with an unlocked bootloader. I dont know im stupid but a Droid Prime/Droid branded Nexus would be awesome! How would they add in the whole Droid benefits though (like software tweaks and such).

sb1831

Reaction score
Interesting post. Have you looked at this article at Android Central?

How might a Droid Prime affect the future of Android's Nexus line? | Android Central

I guess someone else was thinking along the same lines as me. My thinking is this. Nexus devices are meant to showcase new operating systems not the handsets themselves. Yes both the N1 and Nexus S were top notch products, but the main thing was the fact that they were open for the dev community. What's the incentive for VZW to slap the Droid brand on the handset knowing it has to be unlocked? With how they plan to target those tethering, I don't think having an open Droid branded device is going to be something anyone is to keen on.

Another thing I just thought about was warranty issues. With all of the D1 phony claims that went in I have a really hard time thinking VZW is going to release a dev phone with Droid branding and say "you need to contact the manufacturer about that." I think there are too many potential negatives for both parties for this phone to be a Google Experience device. With Googles acquisition of Moto, there is no reason for them to be slapping the Droid name on a Nexus device.

People say it's to keep up with the Iphone, but keep in mind the Iphone just dropped in February of this year. 95% of the people I know purchase on 2 year contracts and I'd be willing to bet that there is little to no chance of VZW just letting those people upgrade early. MAYBE if the Android loses market share with the release of the Iphone5 I could see this happen around the time of the Iphone6. That IMO would be a worst case scenario though. If they drop market share I could see them putting out a Droid Nexus device. I don't see them doing it right now though.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score

Who said this is going to be the Droid Prime? If I remember correctly, it has already been made official that it is the Samsung NEXUS Prime, not Samsung Droid Prime. Nexus phones have to be be unlocked and bloat free. It is one of the things Google has the manufacture and carrier do. Google works with whichever carrier and manufacture they choose, they don't just throw the phone at a carrier and say "Sell it!", so I'm sure Google made it clear to Verizon that it must be unlocked and bloat free.

Being a Droid phone is a totally different criteria that I think needs to be approved by Verizon and Lucasfilms.

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Who said this is going to be the Droid Prime? If I remember correctly, it has already been made official that it is the Samsung NEXUS Prime, not Samsung Droid Prime. Nexus phones have to be be unlocked and bloat free. It is one of the things Google has the manufacture and carrier do. Google works with whichever carrier and manufacture they choose, they don't just throw the phone at a carrier and say "Sell it!", so I'm sure Google made it clear to Verizon that it must be unlocked and bloat free.

Being a Droid phone is a totally different criteria that I think needs to be approved by Verizon and Lucasfilms.

The OP

sb1831

Reaction score

Did you not read the title of the thread? [h=1][Rumor] Verizon Droid Prime Time! Exclusive in Oct; The Real Reason No SGS2[/h]
My comments addressed people thinking this would be a Nexus device, and my arguments against it being a VZW version of the Nexus Prime. You did however support my theory with your "Being a Droid phone is a totally different criteria..." statement.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Did you not read the title of the thread? [Rumor] Verizon Droid Prime Time! Exclusive in Oct; The Real Reason No SGS2

My comments addressed people thinking this would be a Nexus device, and my arguments against it being a VZW version of the Nexus Prime. You did however support my theory with your "Being a Droid phone is a totally different criteria..." statement.
I meant besides that, which I'm pretty sure the title is wrong anyways. "Nexus Prime" has been said a lot more times than "Droid Prime". This is actually the first time I've seen anyone say that. I once joked that Google's bussiness orientated Nexus phone would be called the "Droid Nexus" but again, that was just a joke.

EFGantry

Reaction score
the "Droid Prime" name just surfaced today in an article/report over at BGR, claiming to be citing "a close source of ours [BGR]". but then, Droid Life posted an article, after reaching out to "sources", claiming that the Droid name was not likely. who knows at this point. alls i know is that a Nexus device is coming, it's gonna be a beast, and it's gonna be awful hard to pass up.

g_what

Reaction score
This phone = my next phone

I don't care what they name it. Hell, I can deal with bloatware if it still has the rumored specs.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums