Droid 'Prime' Receives WiFi Certification; Nexus Prime Gets Bluetooth Certification

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-prime-wifi-sept-2011.jpg

Even as the picture becomes clearer for the next Google Nexus device, the "Prime", we are not really seeing any info that makes the device any less foggy. The SCH-I515 is a Samsung device that will be the first Ice Cream Sandwich phone to come to Verizon. It has been dubbed, the "DROID Prime", but that name may turn out to be inaccurate. The GT-I9250 is another Samsung device, and is rumored to be the "Nexus Prime," which seems more likely to be the accurate moniker (although it is certainly possible these facts could flip-flop). Regardless of how the naming finally shakes out, both devices have now received their WiFI and their Bluetooth certs, with each receiving the opposite of the other both last week and this week.

nexus-prime-bluetooth-sept-2011.jpg

Are you confused yet? Yep... us too, and to add even more befuddled speculation to the fire, both devices are rumored to be coming in either late October or early November. At least by then we will definitely know the correct names of these phones...

Source: PrimeForums.com via Droid-Life

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Things are move'n on this baby! Cant wait to see the dark crappy blurry spy photos!

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
One step closer!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One step closer to not knowing which phone to buy!

Sent from my A855, while on the move.

EFGantry

Reaction score
this is definitely good news! but, i am still confused... some had surmised that both devices are the Prime, but the GT-i9250 was a Vodafone Prime and the SCH-i515 was the VZW Prime. but, why would a Vodafone device need US wifi and BT cert??

i guess the options are:

1. these are 2 completely different devices, only one of which is the Prime (seems unlikely)
2. the SCH is the VZW Prime and the GT is the Vodafone Prime (but again, why would Vodafone need wifi/BT cert)
3. the SCH is the VZW Prime (either Droid Prime or Nexus Prime) and the GT is the Nexus Prime for other carriers (seems unlikely, given the GS2 is coming to all other carriers)
4. the SCH is the VZW Droid Prime (with bloatware and maybe locked BL) and the GT is a VZW Nexus Prime (vanilla Andy and unlocked) (seems unlikely)
5. ??????

the thought of a Nexus device on VZW is very tantalizing, and something i'm really looking forward to. but, i'm really at a loss to reconcile the info on these 2 devices....

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Things are move'n on this baby! Cant wait to see the dark crappy blurry spy photos!

I can just picture someone seeing this phone "in the wild" and pulling out their Droid 1 to snap a pic and right as they take the picture, Big Foot steps in the way and blocks our view

Vito.a

Reaction score
I would guess they are for different networks.
One could be a Vodafone world version. They certify their world phones with the FCC for US operation.

sb1831

Reaction score
months away, i've got the money to buy the Bionic, and wait to see if anything comes along to change my mind. no sense to sign a contract at the subsidized price unless i use my upgrades

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Someone told me that the Nexus Prime is going to be sim free, and the Droid Prime will be for Verizon. If that's the case, couldn't we just buy a Nexus Prime and a VZW LTE simcard and use it with the Nexus Prime? I'd rather do that since it will be stock Android instead of crappy blur'd

Sp4zZ

Reaction score
Someone told me that the Nexus Prime is going to be sim free, and the Droid Prime will be for Verizon. If that's the case, couldn't we just buy a Nexus Prime and a VZW LTE simcard and use it with the Nexus Prime? I'd rather do that since it will be stock Android instead of crappy blur'd

Droid Prime isn't going to have blur. Only Motorola phone's use Blur

EFGantry

Reaction score
What I'm concerned about is that the phone that ends up on VZW won't be a "nexus" phone (no bloat, first for updates). So there would be a VZW prime (locked, bloat, no fast updates) and a nexus prime for everybody else that has all the goodies.

False Alarm, No Google Nexus Prime Coming To Verizon After All?

NOOOOOOooooooo.....!!!!! leave it to vzw to take something pure and innocent, and totally manipulate and corrupt it. they better at least leave the BL unlocked.

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
NOOOOOOooooooo.....!!!!! leave it to vzw to take something pure and innocent, and totally manipulate and corrupt it. they better at least leave the BL unlocked.

Don't bet on it

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums