[ROM] [ROM][DROID2] ApeX 2.0.0 Release Candidate (RC3) (8/27/2011)

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
ApeX 2.0 for Droid 2 Gingerbread has finally reached the Release Candidate landmark! As always, the goals of the ROM are speed, stability, reliability, and simplicity of use. I feel that this version lives up to those goals admirably! Take it for a test yourself and see if you agree!

Requirements
  • You must be on the D2 Gingerbread leak or a ROM based on it.
  • System should be: 4.5.153.A955-continuous.Verizon.en.US
  • Kernel should be: 2.6.32.9-gd72dc5d
    a20523@il93lnxdroid49#1

Disclaimer
Code:
As always, you must take responsibility for what you do to your own phone. 
I have created this ROM and tested it to the best of my ability. 
The instructions are written to make sure that users have success installing and using the ROM. 
However, if anything goes wrong and your phone is damaged or rendered useless, I do not take any responsibility.

Credits
  • Motorola - for building this great device and providing a decent Gingerbread base (.602)
  • Google - for Android, AOSP source code used to compile many apps in this ROM
  • CyanogenMod Team - for GB source code used to compile many apps in this ROM
  • SuperTeam - for Launcher2 source code
  • @team_black_hat and @p3droid - for all the work they do to acquire leaks and rooted GB builds
  • @kejar31 - for teaching me his secret sauce technique for compiling AOSP apps for the Blur Framework
  • @jrummy16 and @drod2169 - for providing answers to my many questions via Gtalk
  • @_Mycahya_ and @Mobile_Sensei - for helping me with some of the harder themeing in the ROM
  • Dr. Carpenter - for creating the Google boot logo
  • All my testers - for helping me make Apex great!

*Follow these guys on Twitter if you aren't already (links provided)!
*If I left anyone out, sorry! Please let me know so I can add you to the list!​

Changelog in RC3
  • Updated system base to .602
  • Fixed bluetooth phone call volume bug and custom ringtones!
  • This required the return of Blur dialer and contacts. Fortunately, these apps bring good features as well.
  • Super Launcher2 brings amazing speed, customization, while retaining AOSP styling
  • True AOSP lockscreen sliders (less laggy than Blur sliders)
  • Updated Superuser 3.0 beta 3 app and binary (thanks @ChainsDD!)
  • Updated latest Market 3.1.3
  • Updated Terminal Emulator and OI File Manager
  • Fixed some signature errors -- Superuser, Market, Terminal Emulator, and File Manager can now be updated through Market
  • Other cool stuff

Features
  • Android 2.3.3 based on the Gingerbread OTA (4.5.602)
  • All apps replaced with AOSP/CM7 counterparts except dialer/contacts (compiled from source for D2, by me)
  • Stock Gingerbread Theme
  • Bloat and Market apps removed
  • Facebook for Android App syncs w/ Contacts!
  • DSP Manager (visual equalizer) for headphones, phone speaker, and BT
  • MusicMod with gesture controls
  • Dev Tools, Spare Parts, Terminal Emulator for fun tweakin'
  • ApeX wallpaper gallery with user submitted wallpapers!
  • Quadrant "Turbo" Mode for mad scores
  • Witty Protips (ApeX Blurbs)

Screenshots
aosp-lockscreen.png
home-screen.png

about-phone.png
app-drawer.png

music-mod.png
blur-dialer.png

Scripts
  1. poweroverwhelming : activate Quadrant "turbo" mode
  2. sys : mount system r/w and r/o

Things to know
  • Market apps are removed (Gmail, Maps, Voice Search, etc). Remember to re-enable Gmail sync in your account settings after downloading it.
  • Preset, Yahoo, Email, Motorola, and Corporate Sync in add accounts don't do anything.
  • Sync Facebook contacts using the official app
  • If you need to activate your phone, hold down the menu button at the activation screen to bring up the keyboard.

BUGS
  • Cannot add dialer or contacts to hotseat in new Launcher 2. Keep dialer in the default position for now, sorry!

Installation Instructions
  1. Meet all the requirements listed at the top of the post
  2. Wipe data/cache, dalvik cache (only wipe cache and dalvik if coming from 602 Test2)
  3. Flash Apex

LINK

Apex V2.0.0 RC 3 - Droid 2

12cdc0f1f4fe073d8fc32117c332d913 *Fabolous_ApeX_2-0-0_RC3-D2.zip

If you enjoy my work, consider buying me a beer :)

Donations FabDroid

OP
Fabolous

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
Goodies

Market Fix - For 'an error has occured' when purchasing apps

Dark Market 3.1.3 -- by B-boy

Flash this in recovery.

Standalone Super Launcher 2 from Apex 2.0 RC3

http://bit.ly/rcaqxv -- install as you would any apk

Installable Blur Applications

Instructions - These apps are installable like any non-market application. This means you need to go into Settings, Applications, and make sure 'Unknown sources' is checked.

Download the desired file(s) to your sdcard, then use the file manager to click and install it. Some apps require additional steps, which will be detailed below.

Installable Blur Applications for Apex 2.0

Additional Steps for Keyboards (Multitouch, Swype)

-After installing either/both of these keyboards, go into Settings, Language & keyboard, and enable the downloaded keyboard(s). Then, tap and hold a text entry field, and select 'Input method' and select desired keyboard.

Additional Steps for Blur Home

-Blur Home will not work without removing Launcher2. Pay attention to these steps as failure to follow them can result in a missing launcher. After installing the Blur Home apk, fire up the Terminal Emulator and type the following:

Code:
su
sys -rw
mv /system/app/Launcher2.apk /system/app/Launcher2.bak

Hit home, wait a few seconds, and the Blur launcher will come up.​

Last edited:
OP
Fabolous

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
Themes

If you make an Apex 2.0 RC3 theme, please tweet or PM me and I will add a link in this post!

REVOlution - classic theme by @manup456 ported by Fabolous for Apex 2.0 RC3

REVO-lockscreen.png
REVO-home-screen.png
REVO-notifications.png

Install like ROM but do not wipe. Choose correct version for your device!

REVOlution RC3 for Droid X

ad264ddc6b21f4d85188f49585c51ffc *Fabolous_ApeX_REVOlution_RC3.zip

REVOlution RC3 for Droid 2

be1cb677fe427fd1a8c3c0000b0354e1 *Fabolous_ApeX_REVOlution_RC3-D2.zip

Last edited:

siriusgamer

Reaction score
Question, Isn't .602 for the Droid X? And what will you do if Motorola/Verizon release gingerbread officially for the Droid 2?

OP
Fabolous

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
Question, Isn't .602 for the Droid X? And what will you do if Motorola/Verizon release gingerbread officially for the Droid 2?

Yes, I'm using many of the new files from .602 in conjunction with some older files from the D2 GB leak. If (when) official GB comes out, I will update to take advantage of the newer system files.

ShiftyEyedGoat

Reaction score
What's the chance of getting the corporate sync/blur email application back? The AOSP email client has a HUGE flaw in next/previous navigation. In portrait mode it only has buttons at the very top and if you scroll down the buttons go away. In landscape mode there is no next/previous buttons at all. I connect to my work exchange server along with a few other email addresses so I can't bring myself to move off Apex 1.4.1 until I have access to a usable email client :( (yes I know there are 3rd party apps but I like stock that typically integrates smoother)

xm0067

Reaction score
Downloading now and superexcited to be moving from RC2 to RC3

EDIT:
Seems great! Smooth and fast, just like usual! Cant wait for the next iteration!

Sent from my Apex-ed Overclocked DROID 2

Last edited:

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Holy crap! This rom is fast!! l would say twice as fast as cm7gb(lMO). BUT cm7 is much much much much more customizable. lf there was a way to put them both together, well that would be a rom of dreams!!

Currently...lm liking all of the custom options of cm7gb right now, but man....this rom is just sooooo fast!!

Last edited:

DroidBurgundy

Reaction score
YEEEESSSSS I jus got power turned back on after 4 days w/o thanks to hurricane and I find this.. MADE MY DAY FAB.. MADE..MY..DAY :D :D :D

R U SRS?

Fixed bluetooth phone call volume bug

\\\o// That was the ONLY thing that I disliked about RC2... IDC wat all dem cm7 fanbois say, Apex is the BEST and most reliable rom for the D2. CM7 has bells n whistles but Apex is the best for solid performance, superb batt life.

Last edited:

americanz

Reaction score
Yes, I'm using many of the new files from .602 in conjunction with some older files from the D2 GB leak. If (when) official GB comes out, I will update to take advantage of the newer system files.

i am on the gb saok right now. i would get a systwm dump if you tell me how

rosatimr

Reaction score
What happens if you don't wipe data before flashing the ROM? I misread the second step and thought it said you only have to if you are coming from 602 Test2. Apex loaded correctly except I'm getting a lot of "The process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." What to do?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
What happens if you don't wipe data before flashing the ROM? I misread the second step and thought it said you only have to if you are coming from 602 Test2. Apex loaded correctly except I'm getting a lot of "The process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." What to do?

Wipe data, cache and dalvik cache, then reflash the ROM.

random rom'd X

OP
Fabolous

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
Do any D2 users have issues purchasing apps in the market? DX users are having issues.

Anyways, I added a fix in the 2nd post, but don't flash it if the D2 doesn't have issues (unless you want an inverted theme ;) )

Giroux28

Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues deleting screens from the launcher and selecting which one for default screen? i cant figure it out for the life of me and theres only 3 things in launcher settings..... d2 user here, and no market issues for me just so u know... amazing work fab once again, just amazing!! thanks for everything!

dark market works on D2 and is awesome!!!! Just wanted to update ya...

Last edited: