[ROM] ApeX V2.0.0 Beta - Droid 2 (5/5/2011)

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
ApeX V2.0.0 Beta for Droid 2

Requirements: You must have already flashed the Gingerbread Leak for Droid 2.

Disclaimer
Code:
As always, you must take responsibility for what you do to your own phone. 
I have created this ROM and tested it to the best of my ability. 
The instructions are written to make sure that users have success installing and using the ROM. 
However, if anything goes wrong and your phone is damaged or rendered useless, I do not take any responsibility.

Additional Credits: I would like to especially thank kejar31 for teaching me his secret sauce technique for compiling AOSP apps for the Blur Framework. I'd like to thank jrummy16 and drod2169 for helping me on Gtalk and troubleshooting some issues, and _Mycahya_ for stepping up and undertaking the daunting task that is theming the Blur Dialer and Contacts!

Of course, credits to P3Droid, Team Black Hat, MyDroidWorld for the Gingerbread leaks, the CyanogenMod team for many of the apps, Google for many more apps, and all the nice brave people on Twitter for testing this for me, helping me squash bugs, and submitting beautiful wallpapers!

If I left anyone out, please let me know so I can properly credit you!

Features:

-Android 2.3.3 based on latest Gingerbread leak (4.5.591)
-Almost all apps replaced with AOSP/CM7 counterparts
-Stock Gingerbread Theme
-Bloat and Market apps removed
-Facebook for Android App syncs w/ Blur Contacts!
-DSP Manager (visual equalizer) for headphones, phone speaker, and BT
-MusicMod with gesture controls
-Dev Tools, Spare Parts, Terminal Emulator for fun tweakin'
-ApeX wallpaper gallery with user submitted wallpapers!
-Quadrant "Turbo" Mode for mad scores
-Blur mass restore script (if you must...)

Screenshots:

lockscreen.png
home.png

launcher2.png
dialer.png

musicmod.png
DSP.png

Scripts:

poweroverwhelming : activate Quadrant "turbo" mode
restoreblur : Blur mass restore script -- run it for detailed instructions
sys : mount system r/w and r/o

Things to know:

-Nothing is broken functionality-wise if you don't flash part 2, but you will find many apps that aren't themed. This is done on purpose, because flashing the themed version on the initial boot causes major problems. Blame Motorola.
-Download Market apps yourself. Remember to go into account settings to enable Gmail sync
-If you ever do a factory reset, you must reinstall part 1 while still in recovery, or you will lose a lot of apps (including Settings!) DO NOT DO A FACTORY RESET WITHOUT REINSTALLING PART 1!
-On the first boot, choose Launcher and set it to default (don't click Setup)
-Don't add email accounts via 'My Accounts' ! Those links are left in there so the system does not break, but they don't work! Add accounts via the Email app directly!
-If you have a pattern unlock set up, it will bypass the slide unlock (no double unlocking). Please note that the default 'Security Lock Timer' is 20 mins, which IMO should be lowered (otherwise an unlock will go straight to the homescreen if it's within 20 mins of the last locking).

Installation Instructions:

WIPE DATA AND CACHE

1. You must be on a Gingerbread based ROM.
2. Install Apex part 1
3. Boot into Apex, handle your business. You can now install bootstrapper and...
4. Install Apex part 2 (fixes theming on many apps)

LINKS:

ApeX V2.0.0 Part 1 : http://bit.ly/kwbBcD
ApeX V2.0.0 Part 2 : http://bit.ly/kzwq01

Removed Apps (this is not flashable) : http://bit.ly/iNRKTX

MD5 Sums:

8f22b74631e9ae5c21a4fa917742e7d6 Fabolous_ApeX_2-0_Beta-D2-Part1.zip
a898813eae6b1b0343d9494fe415bac1 Fabolous_ApeX_2-0_Beta-Part2.zip

BUGS:

-Battery History in Spare Parts causes it to FC (DX GB leak issue)
-Clicking on phone numbers in Maps or Browser does not copy them into Dialer
-MusicMod does not have lockscreen controls
-Email links in 'My Accounts' are broken, use the Email APP!

If you enjoy my work, consider buying me a beer :)

Donations FabDroid

OP
Fabolous

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
Last edited:

ahC_hED

Reaction score
Wow, no replies?

Thanks for this Fab! Been running ApeX GB since alpha1, and i must say that im now a ApeX fan. Always ran GummyJar on Froyo, but ill be running ApeX ROM for a while.

Thanks again for all your hard work, its very much appreciated for the D2. Thanks for still supporting us :)

I have a few mods that i would like to submit to you, when you get the toolbox up and running. Only if you are interested in them. Thanks again man, excellent release :)

ahC_hED

Reaction score
It will come with the full release as this is only a beta. We should just be happy that Fab gave us d2 users some dx love. ;)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

HerroMoto

Reaction score
Huge fan of Apex, but can't afford to use a beta, need my phone working most the time :/. Heard real good things. Any ETA on full release?

RevNumbers

Reaction score
So far I haven't run into a single issue that's not listed under bugs in the OP.... feels rock solid OCed to 1.3ghz... it's nice to be back on ApeX :D

pshaw92

Reaction score
This ROM is awesome! Not really any bugs that bother me, this might as well be the full release. Great work!

barfight

Reaction score
I tried flashing the beta last night and I just went into a bootloop. It would let me get to the google sign in page then go right back to the apex bootscreen. I was running alpha 2 and did a clean wipe and cache partition before flashing. I have no clue what went wrong. I noticied on the droid x forums it said you needed an updated kernel. Is this true with d2 as well? I would really like to figure this out before flashing again.

OP
Fabolous

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
No need for an updated kernel. Wiping data/cache should be sufficient.

You may want to check the md5sum of the files you downloaded before flashing to make sure the downloads did not corrupt.

roboots21

Reaction score
Flashed this ROM last night. It was the most painless installation of a ROM yet, and it is blazing fast. I am coming from Liberty and that wasn't as stable as I would like so I figured I'd try Apex, and boy am I glad I did. I added the blur camera back in and the Google Car Dock (suggestion to use this instead of Blur car dock :) in release), and all is well! I am hoping I can get the EpicBlue theme ported over to this release when it comes out of Beta :). Great work Fab, and I will be donating some beer money your way! :)

HerroMoto

Reaction score
Meant to ask. Is this using ADW or the stock Gingerblur launcher? I'm really loving the stock launcher.

roboots21

Reaction score
Meant to ask. Is this using ADW or the stock Gingerblur launcher? I'm really loving the stock launcher.

It uses Launcher2, which is neither of what you are asking about. But, Fab provides a handy script to replace any blur back into Apex. You just need to download the removed apps zip, extract the blue components you want (in this case Blur Launcher), place it in a directory on your SD Card called 'restore'. Then, open up terminal emulator, type 'restoreblur', and type '1'. It will do a batch restore of any blur files you have placed in the 'restore' folder. I haven't tried it yet but Fab has directions in the script that dictate this. Hope this helps! :)

Cstryon

Reaction score
it says bloat and market apps removed. Does that mean there is no android market?