[ROM] [ROM] Droid Concepts Froyo Releases [BETA versions]

djakrse

Reaction score
I wiped data, cache, dalvik cache, and system and flashed build 7 and gapps with little issue, then kernel, and then some inverted apps.

Everything looks great, love the modded settings. I had 2 ADW apks in /data though. Also, /system is quite full, so I removed the DC wallpapers. There were some great walls in there though, especially the one of miss Keeley. :D

I'm still having one small issue though. I flashed ecsnead's blacked out market (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/blacked-out/130003-release-black-market-2-3-4-a.html) and no longer have one. It worked just fine under build 6, but doesn't show in app drawer now and any attempt to restore from backup fails. I manually restored vending data without effect either.

I read in its thread someone suggested some roms won't display it because it is named "black market" and a change would be needed in resources.arsc. Would this be accurate and make sense that it be an issue due to changes in this build?

And I was all ready to recommend the blacked out market for anyone who can't stand the new market. :(

Bleh. Esotericchaos' inverted Twitter (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/team-inversion-conversion/105664-inverted-apps-you-know-you-want-look-10.html#post1286101) FC on me within seconds of opening. Wiping or restoring data has no effect.

Last edited:

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
djakrse---it should show in your app drawer as "black market", however, it may be a name related issue if its not there...some roms will recognize it and others may not....and yes the name would be changed in the resources in the values folder in the strings.xml, but you need to decompile it first to see those folders...i can do this for you if you like, just give me a link to download...another option to try would be to clear all the market data and cache before flashing the blacked out market, let the phone boot up if its not there, reboot one more time and see if it shows up, ive found myself in this situation before

djakrse

Reaction score
Okay, trying again. Any ideas about twitter? (I edited to mention it FCing)

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
as for twitter, get rid of the inverted one reboot, then go download twitter from the market and see if that one force closes, if it works properly then there is a problem with the inverted one. Some of the apps that are modded and posted around the forums are apps that have been modified to run on gingerbread, since this is a froyo based rom, that may be the issue making it force close

if the twitter from the market works for you, then id be willing to invert it for you, it may take a day or two

i should also mention that several problems that people are having, not yours, but others, i am not experiencing...although it has been stated that you can install this rom right over #6 with no wipe, i strongly suggest that you format boot, format system, and format data/cache at least twice...

without a wipe the rom may appear to function normally, but theres a good chance that behind the scenes services and processes are malfunctioning...

one also needs to be careful what they restore with titanium backup, you should really only restore user apps, if you back up every element in say build 6, then restore every element in build 7, then essentially you are getting bits and pieces of build 6 into build 7, which can also cause problems

Last edited:

djakrse

Reaction score
Afaik, it is the same version, only "inverted." It was even installed to data rather than pushed to system. Both of these apps were running beautifully on build 6, too.

And I'd try the market one, but.... :D

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Afaik, it is the same version, only "inverted." It was even installed to data rather than pushed to system. Both of these apps were running beautifully on build 6, too.

And I'd try the market one, but.... :D

was the app installed to data when you had it in build 6?

i take it you havent got the market to work either?

djakrse

Reaction score
Correct on both counts. I've had both since SD7, before I installed any of these beta builds, if I remember correctly.

djakrse

Reaction score
Well, for now I just replaced my black market with the vending.apk from gapps and am able to use the market just fine. I thought maybe if I renamed the black market vending_bm.apk, I'd be able to use both, but I guess the same issue still prevents it from showing or there's a conflict trying to run both. I'm okay with the stock market; it's really not that bad... well, then again, it is when I compare it to the old market themed BNB by thebowers. :(

Here's another weird update-related issue. I've continued to have an issue with updating ChainsDD's Superuser, and I have had to restore from a backup after installing each build. It looks like it might be up-to-date with this build, but the market still thinks I need to update. I have also been able to update via the built-in update check, after which the market link is broken. I found that ChainsDD released a Superuser Update Fixer, which is "designed to fix update problems that come from mismatched signatures between Superuser.apk on your phone, and Superuser.apk on the Market."

I installed it and it detects a mismatch in signatures, but the fix stalls while checking integrity of files. Any ideas there? The app tells you to email the developer if it doesn't work, but I just noticed in the market's details, he says to email him if it doesn't work with a rom. Would that still be something needed to be worked out with you, Woodyman?

kratos

Reaction score
Well, for now I just replaced my black market with the vending.apk from gapps and am able to use the market just fine. I thought maybe if I renamed the black market vending_bm.apk, I'd be able to use both, but I guess the same issue still prevents it from showing or there's a conflict trying to run both. I'm okay with the stock market; it's really not that bad... well, then again, it is when I compare it to the old market themed BNB by thebowers. :(

Here's another weird update-related issue. I've continued to have an issue with updating ChainsDD's Superuser, and I have had to restore from a backup after installing each build. It looks like it might be up-to-date with this build, but the market still thinks I need to update. I have also been able to update via the built-in update check, after which the market link is broken. I found that ChainsDD released a Superuser Update Fixer, which is "designed to fix update problems that come from mismatched signatures between Superuser.apk on your phone, and Superuser.apk on the Market."

I installed it and it detects a mismatch in signatures, but the fix stalls while checking integrity of files. Any ideas there? The app tells you to email the developer if it doesn't work, but I just noticed in the market's details, he says to email him if it doesn't work with a rom. Would that still be something needed to be worked out with you, Woodyman?

I also used the update fixer and it also seemed to stall on checking the integrity of the files. I just let it run and it finally finished it's thing. I cannot remember how long it took to finally go through, but it was a while.

On a completely unrelated (to build 7, 6, etc) note, Google Search keeps force closing on me. It doesn't matter if I use the search button on my device, open the app directly, or use the widget. Every time I try to open Google Search (any way) it automatically force closes. Here is a screen shot of the F/C I am talking about:

Kratos

Well, here''s an interesting update to this issue. I was playing around with my phone before I went to bed last night and decided to long press the physical search button, just for the fun of it. I was presented with three options, something that had to do with Handcent, something that had to do with Go SMS Pro, and open Voice Search. For some reason, I decided to select "set as default" and then hit the Voice Search option. Now, my Google Search works like a charm! I no longer receive the F/C when trying to use Google Search.

Very weird in deed....

Kratos

djakrse

Reaction score
I really appreciate your help jayR83 and kratos. I'm sure all this will be figured out soon enough. @kratos, I let the fixer run for at least 15 minutes, though I don't remember if I closed it out or if I went to another application and it sort of stopped itself. It doesn't seem to continue in the background. I'll give it another shot and let it run indefinitely. Thanks!

kratos

Reaction score
I really appreciate your help jayR83 and kratos. I'm sure all this will be figured out soon enough. @kratos, I let the fixer run for at least 15 minutes, though I don't remember if I closed it out or if I went to another application and it sort of stopped itself. It doesn't seem to continue in the background. I'll give it another shot and let it run indefinitely. Thanks!

Yep. And I'm thinking I may have done something else as well, but cannot remember what I did. I just remember letting it run for a while and it finally worked...

Kratos

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Like you said very odd indeed, I will download the app and see what I get unless when I find it, it is a paid app, lol.. But I don't know of any reason it wouldn't work. The DC ROM is closer to stock than UD so if anything I would see it running better on DC than on UD. Framework edits up to this point have been minimal, options for reboot/reboot recovery and text color changes, and the ADB debugging notification on/off. Those are the only edited parts of framework. So I'm guessing that it is the FONT, I will upload some fonts after I take the time to reply to all the posts I missed out on last night, then I'll get some font packages up, and my guess is that should fix the problem. Because there is no other reason why things would be messed up.. One thing I suggest before flashing a new font is this.

> Uninstall the app
> Flash the font zip in recovery
> Wipe cache, and davlik cache
> Reboot
> Reinstall from market a fresh version, not a backup one..

On another note, my Gemini Calendar is all messed up since I have started using this ROM. I'm not sure if it is this ROM or the app itself, but it didn't look like this on the UD ROM I was on before I switched to DC. I have noticed it after wiping and everything (basically the same as with the Google Search issue). I'm not sure if it is a font issue, framework issue, or something with the app itself. The app has NOT been updated since I flashed DC, so that means that I am using the same version on DC as I was on UD.

Here is a screenshot to show you what I am talking about. I have circled in RED some of the main things that will show the problem. The month should be in the box just below it. The week numbers on the side should be horizontal instead of vertical. In other words, they should all be like the 18, 19, and 21. Finally, the square in the background behind the 11 and 18 should be moved down slightly to be in the grey background. Also, the numbers are pushed up quite a bit. The 4 should be inside the box that is behind the 11 and 18. Also, the blue box at the very bottom behind the 31 should be where the other box is (the one behind the 11 and 18).

Again, I'm not sure if this is a framework issue, or app issue, or what, but this calendar should not look like this. This is almost what it should look like; however, even this month is not completely correct. The numbers are still pushed up slightly. But, it does look more like it should than the picture above.

Whatever the issue, I hope I can figure out what can be done to fix it. I absolutely love this calendar and would hate to not be able to use it anymore.

Again, thanks for everything you do to make this ROM the best available!!!!!!

Kratos

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
As for this issue, What I can say is that I have no issues with root working or anything. Another thing is I use the official ChainsDD app/binary CM and im guessing UD use their own modified version, but my repo strictly pulls from ChainsDD branches, the code and link to it are below just so you can see. So why it has issues I'm not sure, Chains may have updated in the market and not on git-hub yet or maybe his server/update feature isn't right, I don't know. Just wanted to throw this out their so everyone knew as well.

so while writing this I decided to test this on my own:
I clicked to check for updates, it says a newer version is available. I clicked 'OK' it asked for root permission, I hit allow, and it updated without any problem. So it may have been his server or something last night I'm not sure or maybe your connection in which case I would recommend trying Wi-Fi. But I did just successfully update, in app the binary. I havn't messed with app updating, as I don't really use the SU app daily and it functions fine how it is, I would only worry about it if you had problems with the current SU app.

Code:
<project path="packages/apps/Superuser" name="ChainsDD/Superuser" remote="github" revision="master" />
<project path="system/extras/su" name="ChainsDD/su-binary" remote="github"  revision="master" />

https://github.com/DroidConcepts/android_manifest/blob/froyo/default.xml

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
So just to clarify for anyone who doesn't feel like reading that big long thing I just posted.

The ChainsDD app is functional, and it is the latest one ChainsDD has uploaded to GitHub.
also the binary can be updated in app without issues.

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Note on inverted and otherwise modded apps

I completely understand everyones wanted to 'black out' the market and other apps. All I can say if you have a problem is revert back to the one that came with the ROM. That will fix your problem, but before doing so, uninstall the app or remove from /system/app, then reboot into recovery wipe cache, and davlik cache, then reinstall the ROM and Google apps, and the optional apps if you wish. That will fix it and put you back to normal.

The problem with inverted apps are the many that are out there aren't the newest ones or they may have been added to. So to fix this JayR83 has opted to manually update them for you, so Thanks JayR83 for that. For now I would send him links to the app you want ported to DC and my guess is he'll do it for you.

Porting an app is a pain and time consuming, you have to pull the res folder on both apps and compare the images from the newest stock version to the sometimes old/moded themed version. If theres an image in the stock version that is missing in the themed it will give you problems, or if there are extra images in the themed version you can get problems sometimes too. So basically its time consuming to compare and make sure that all the images in the theme match the stock. Then its a matter of taking the good themed images and putting them over the stock ones. So please be patient with him, its very nice of him to offer. So thanks JayR83 :)