Repurpose Your Old Android Device As A Landline!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Since you all have been so keen on this series I think we will continue it! Apparently there's tons of things you can do with an old Android device other than simply allowing it to collect dust.

Landlines are quickly becoming a thing of the past. AT&T still carries the old copper landline, but they are slowly trying to transition customers to VOIP with an end goal of going totally wireless by 2020. Now that cell phones mostly have unlimited minutes there is less and less of a reason to really have a land line. The only thing they are really good for is having communications during a power outage or during a natural disaster assuming he lines are not broken.

While it won't work as a traditional landline you can turn your Old Android into a pseudo landline for nostalgia sake. There are a few things you will need. There is an app called "Talkatone" which allows you free texts and calls over wifi. It even comes with a free US local phone number. All inbound calls are free and you get an allowance of outbound calls each month. "Hey mom call me back." CLICK.

Once you have your free number all set up you will need an accompanying handset. You can get a retro landline headset that connects to your cell phone for about $8. Another benefit to this sort of accessory is that it cuts down on cell phone radiation traveling through your brain. Grab what you need to convert your old android at the link below.

Retro Phone Handset

Talkatone Free Phone Calls

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My 8 year old daughter uses my G2 and a different app to text her mom and sisters. I'm giving the one on the op a try to see if it's better.
Thanks for this.
So far it she likes it better and the free unlimited incoming calls I like. Though she's only 8 I can start her on budgeting minutes (.99 for 60 minutes) and handling a phone around the house before turning her loose into the world with a for real phone when she gets older.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
For those who don't know, you can create a Google account on an old phone, then download and install the following two apps, make some setting changes, do some verifications and in most cases turn that phone into a completely free phone for both incoming and outgoing voice calls, texting AND video calling using WIFI through VOIP from most parts of the world, and (according to Google), to any phone in the world. In other words, this is something you don't need to buy minutes for in most cases (with a few exceptions in certain parts of the world where calls are charged), again all without a real cell phone account or calling plan on the phone.

Google Voice: Use to obtain a Google Voice phone number. It requires a little trickery, in that you need a real cell phone number to receive the verification text and activate it. I was able to do this by first adding the new Google account to my active Droid Turbo 2 cell phone, thereby linking the new Google account to my existing one. Then I removed the SIM card from the Turbo and installed it into the second phone, a MOTO X, and then added the Google Voice account on that phone to get the Google Voice number.

In order to activate the Google Voice account, it asks for permission on the old phone (in my case the Moto X), and texts to the cell phone number active on the phone (the reason for the SIM card temporarily), to verify the account. Once it's verified you can remove the SIM card, and the Google account and Google Voice phone number remain active on the old phone. Aftewards, I removed that new account from my Turbo and it remained active on the Moto X.

Hangouts Dialer: Use to make VOIP phone calls and texts completely free Hangouts Dialer will use the Google Voice number to make and receive calls and as long as it has internet access (WIFI), the phone will both make calls and texts (and even video calls), out of the gate completely free, but it won't receive calls or texts yet...

In order to get the full functionality, open the Hangouts Dialer, then tap on the menu of the call log list (top left, three underlines). Then select "settings" where you will be taken to the settings screen. Note: If there is more than one Google account on the phone you'll be taken to a list of active Google accounts. If so, simply select the desired gmail account with the Google Voice number associated...then in both cases, you'll see the list of setting options. Scroll towards the middle of the settings list (bottom of the first screen or just below), to where it shows "Incoming phone calls", and make sure to change the selection on the right to on (Green). You may also want to turn on "Messages" right below to use text messaging to the fullest.

To prove it works with both phones having been verified from the same SIM card and phone number, I made calls between the two phones and they both went through. Then I made a call to another phone and it also went through. Next, I did texting back and forth and in all cases they worked like a charm.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
We're thinking we want to get a landline or a Straight Talk home phone or something just for emergencies. I haven't had a "home phone" since I first moved out of my parents' house.

However, with the 6yo stepson, we'd like a phone that's easy for him to use in case of emergencies. If something were to happen to a babysitter or one of us, we don't want to rely on him remembering to pick up a cell phone, find the phone app if it's not already open, and then dial 911 or a speed dial for each of us.

He can read, so I'm thinking something with quick dial buttons that say "Jon", "Mom", "Grandma", etc. and an actual phone in case he needs to dial 911.

Maybe we're not giving him enough credit, but if nothing else, it'll give us peace of mind.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
We're thinking we want to get a landline or a Straight Talk home phone or something just for emergencies. I haven't had a "home phone" since I first moved out of my parents' house.

However, with the 6yo stepson, we'd like a phone that's easy for him to use in case of emergencies. If something were to happen to a babysitter or one of us, we don't want to rely on him remembering to pick up a cell phone, find the phone app if it's not already open, and then dial 911 or a speed dial for each of us.

He can read, so I'm thinking something with quick dial buttons that say "Jon", "Mom", "Grandma", etc. and an actual phone in case he needs to dial 911.

Maybe we're not giving him enough credit, but if nothing else, it'll give us peace of mind.
Here's a neat device. It syncs with Android or iPhone. I like it because it's always on their wrist...
FiLIP - 2 Smart Locator for Select Apple® iOS and Android Cell Phones - Blue

94f5cdef5e4b673f2371bda3d4856a40.jpg

Another one but more traditional in style, I like this. It's promoted more as a phone for seniors but clearly purposeful fit kids as well...
The perfect phone for young kids

08d124f7e794201ee671fb36208157d9.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Still think I prefer the old fashioned way to start. Not to mention, if I bundle phone with my cable, the price isn't bad, but we've got a phone if the cell towers go down, which DOES occasionally happen here.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Still think I prefer the old fashioned way to start. Not to mention, if I bundle phone with my cable, the price isn't bad, but we've got a phone if the cell towers go down, which DOES occasionally happen here.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I agree...there is something to be said for good old copper wire.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk