Repurpose Your Old Android Device As a Security Camera!

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Too many programs out there named Alfred. Mainly for ios. My guess Google pulled it due to conflict with ios Alfred app which is totally different program by different company.
But damn this app is great. I now have two phones monitoring outside of the house from both sides.
e16970e89418d2e4268d8f4055cbda61.jpg

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Hi Kirk, we have been wrongly accused of "promoting spying (possibly by a competitor. The world is a scary place)." A loyal Superhero like you know it is total nonsense! We are contacting Google to clear our name. Fingers crossed it'll all be OK soon!
per the Alfred team.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Good news, and i like the idea about using for outside surveillance, makes perfect sense, as we're without young kids at the house anymore, I was at a lack of a place to put a nanny cam, the only place I figured was a cam to make sure the cleaning lady doesn't get into the goodie stash ;)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I know this is an older thread, and I don't normally resurrect old threads. But I am trying out the process of setting up an old phone as a security camera. The Alfred app seems to have some positive reviews since the debacle in 2016, and is highly rated by CNET. Anyone have any experience with the Alfred app, or setting up an old phone as a security camera?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oddly, I was just wondering this a few weeks ago. I remembered that there was a thread (this one) a few years back, but didn't recall the app name.
Eye will be eyeing this thread too..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yep, the Alfred app had some bad press a few years ago. I have it installed on both phones and tested that it works. Lots of ads. If I keep it I will definitely pay for the ad free version. I haven't had time to really dig into all the settings yet. I'm also going to research some of the other apps that CNET recommends for this purpose. I worry about my recordings staying private, unless I chose to share. But then again.....don't we worry about that with EVERYONE these days (Google, Apple, Facebook, etc.)? So maybe Alfred got a bad rap?

I will keep updating as I progress through the process. But the initial setup is extremely simple. I bought a 6' charging cable for my old Z Force and a phone tripod on Amazon. Install the app on both phones, pick the "camera" and the "viewer" and it's up and running. A home security camera for $14, not too shabby (Amazon - the tripod and long USB-C cable).

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I stopped using phones as cams when security cams became $20 or less. I have 5 yi home cams setup inside the house monitoring outside perimeter.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I decided to scrap the project for now. That app has too many ads to be every day useful. And it looks like you can do a $2.99 a month subscription to try it. But when you go to subscribe it's a $29.99 yearly subscription. Too much for me personally, for something I will not use every day. I'm going to look into other apps and even small wifi security cameras on Amazon.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just make sure that cam has local storage like sd card so you don't have to subscribe to cloud service.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I decided to scrap the project for now. That app has too many ads to be every day useful. And it looks like you can do a $2.99 a month subscription to try it. But when you go to subscribe it's a $29.99 yearly subscription. Too much for me personally, for something I will not use every day. I'm going to look into other apps and even small wifi security cameras on Amazon.

Good to know. That is excessive.
Just make sure that cam has local storage like sd card so you don't have to subscribe to cloud service.
I'm surprised you can't store videos from them on a local hard drive.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's the only way to monitize their business. They offer software for free so have to sell storage space.

Now cams cost money so they can offer local storage since they already make money on hardware. The greedy companies(nest, arlo) won't offer you storage for free, the wyze or yi will.