Repurpose Your Old Android Device As a Dash Cam!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yesterday we talked about making good use out of some of those older devices laying in your junk drawer. It turns out there are all kinds of things you can do with older devices! Many of you have already fleshed out your full fledged security camera system for your home, but you may want to snag one of those new security cameras to use as a new dash cam.

With the technology available to monitor your surroundings at all times, why not protect yourself. While the majority of police officers are good people who live to protect and serve we have all seen the horrific videos of police brutality, and even some videos of officers acting badly when trying to write citations for no good reason. There are also those crazy accident videos. Having a dash cam can protect you in the event something bad like this happens to you.

The AutoBoy App turns your unused Android device into a fully functioning DashCam. The camera can be set to continually record as long as there is power. It can also be set to ditch old recordings to make way for new recordings. The app is basically feature rich. Check out this app from the link below.

via Play Store

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
It saves in 5 minute clips. Looks to be the major complaint with time missing between the cutoffs.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
5 minutes is the default it looks like. You can select it to record up to 3 hours.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If I drove more in the average day, this might be fun to test out...Although, we're supposed to get 5-8 inches of snow tonight, so there's a chance I'll have to go out and make my plow rounds one last time this year...

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
IMO, buy an actual dash cam. I have this one. Its fairly inexpensive and does its own thing without issue. Its a capacitor model so no issue with batteries dying over time. I wouldn't trust this especially if someone sees a phone on your windshield when parked. They may think its a new phone and try to break in.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I don't think this is meant to be used with old cell phones without connectivity. As John said, it will be an easy target for someone that thinks you left your cell in your car. I'd rather pay $50 for a true mirror dash cam, than have my $400 window smashed for an old cell phone.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
IMO, buy an actual dash cam. I have this one. Its fairly inexpensive and does its own thing without issue. Its a capacitor model so no issue with batteries dying over time. I wouldn't trust this especially if someone sees a phone on your windshield when parked. They may think its a new phone and try to break in.
How does the suction hold during really hot weather?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Most phones have hard time producing quality video at night so this would be a major concern.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
How does the suction hold during really hot weather?

It loses suction once or twice a year, usually when the seasons change. I could easily put some double sided tape on it then suction it and I doubt it'd ever be an issue again. But when it does lose suction, its just hanging right below my mirror and takes me 10 seconds to put it back up.