Repurpose Your Old Android Device As A Make Shift Chrome Cast!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

You may have dozens of old Android devices laying around, but who in the heck has an extra $30 to shell out for a new Chrome Cast? No worries you can actually use that old dusty Android device as a make shift Chromecast! You will need Micro USB to HDMI cable or MHL adaptor for connecting your device to your TV for streaming.

On your Old Android device you will want to install the Unwind Launcher. This is a homescreen replacement app that gives you a "lean back" style user interface which is easy to navigate and scroll through while relaxing on the sofa. Now that you have the "Chromecast" device set up grab a second device to control it. This could be your daily driver (it doesn't necessarily have to be an old device). Download the app "Tablet Remote" to your second device to control the Chromecast. Also be sure to install the remote app on the first device so you can link the two devices.

MHL Micro USB : http://amzn.to/1q54Hdh

Tablet Remote

Unwind Launcher For TV Beta

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Will this is neat! Of course of you have one of the older phones that have an HDMI I port you'll be ready to go with a micro HDMI to standard HDMI cable.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Will this is neat! Of course of you have one of the older phones that have an HDMI I port you'll be ready to go with a micro HDMI to standard HDMI cable.
Finally gonna pull my Bionic out of retirement.