Do you have a landline phone still?

Beka27

Reaction score
Just wanting some people's opinions on why they do/do not have a regular old landline phone.

We have kept our landline, but it seems like we NEVER get any phone calls on it except for various charitable organizations and a whole slew of political candidates during election season. It's to the point that when I hear it ringing, it takes me a second to realize what the heck that noise is... LOL!

I guess my concern is having access to emergency services. My husband and I both have a cell phone but if those phones were not working or available for whatever reason, that could be an issue. We have a 7-year-old child and while he's DYING for his very own cell phone, I still think he's too young. So not having a landline would potentially cut him off from being able to dial 911 in an emergency.

I also use my house number for any random forms I need to fill out that require a number. I prefer to not give out my cell to any businesses. Finally, we have a bundle for our home phone, internet, and cable service, so I don't even know if it would be any cheaper if we called and removed home phone. It would drop that off the bill, but the other two things would probably go up in cost.

We just upped our plan from 700 to 1400 minutes because of the special promotion Verizon is doing (with the $20 per line discount.) So we've definitely got the extra minutes floating around...

Thanks for reading my random post. What is everyone's thoughts on this? Do you have a landline, did you dump your landline, was it the best thing you ever did?

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
No landline here. My fiancee and I both have cell phones and she got a MagicJack a while back. She used that to keep her cell minutes down.

If you have Verizon for all your home services, you should be able to dump the landline and maybe get a "Double Play" bundle with just TV and internet for a reduced cost. That's what I have and it's about $15-$20 cheaper than with the landline. Our 1 year contract is almost up so we can switch plans soon...I see there are some other duo options available that are cheaper or have more features available.

Call your provider and see what you can do.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

SANhacker

Reaction score
15-20 hours of conference calls per week require me to keep my land line. I can usually tell when others are dialing in on a MagicJack, VoIP or cell and the degradation of quality has kept me on the land line with a high quality headset.

OP
Beka27

Beka27

Reaction score
A friend of ours had the magic jack and had nothing but issues with it. Its cheap... So I guess you get what you pay for.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got rid of my land line oh, at least 5 years ago. I had Vonage for quite a while and if you're looking for VoIP that's my recommendation. I quit Vonage a couple of months ago, and now just rely on my Droid.

Plus: Save money.

Minus: In an emergency I'm not certain that 911 can find your location as easy as a land line or Vonage. Vonage goes directly to 911 with your location.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
No landline here. I got rid of it a few years ago after realizing I rarely if ever used it : )

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
We got rid of our landline about 8-9 years ago. We have two small children now and I was also concerned about calling 911. I used it twice so far when I noticed some suspicious activities around my neighborhood. I got connected to the local sheriffs dispatch who transferred me to my city pd. Had no problems. We make sure a babysitter has a cell phone or we leave one of ours at the house with them. At the time it saved us $45 a month. We would be sitting on the couch and people would call us on our cell phones. No point in having a home phone if no one is going to call you on it. We don't get solicitors calls, and with 1400 minutes and 5 lines we never go over our limit.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Lenagainster

Reaction score
We had a landline, same number, for 44 years. Wanted to cut the cord mainly for convenience as long as cost wasn't too much. Figured when someone wants to call us, they are trying to call a person, not a house. Got a Google Voice number for businesses and all calls to that number go to voicemail. I get a text if someone leaves a message. Have the 1400 minute, $20 discount data plan, plenty of minutes with the 10 F&F feature. No telemarketers, charities or political calls. No problems associated with switching numbers to our cells for those businesses that we figured needed to contact us immediately, like Doctors, insurance companies, utilities, banks, credit cards. Glad we dropped the landline about a year ago.

R

RETG

Haven't had a land line since 2002, when I lived in TN. When paying the bill one day I realized I had not touched the land line phone for over two-months, so I switched from Bell South to Charter Communications for cable/internet and dropped Bell South. Never looked back, and never regretted the decision.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
unfortunately i have two landlines at home still ....

1 is a dedicated fax for both my business and my girlfriend works from home a good bit of the time. Then the other is a regular phone line since my girl works from home.

At least her work covers the charges for it.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Traditional land line -- $50/month (plus taxes and fees) and I get unlimited calling anywhere in the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico. I can give people my home number and I don't have to worry about getting bothered while on the road, I don't have to worry about cell signal issues, it works if the power's out, it works if the cell towers are down, and I have emergency dialup internet access if my cell goes down because where I live I can't get anything but dialup, 5GB data plans with a 3G USB modem, or satellite. Not going there. :)

OP
Beka27

Beka27

Reaction score
I was looking briefly on our service providers website, and it looks like the deals they have for just internet and cable are barely less than what we are paying for all three. And like I said, I do like knowing that I can give companies my house number and not have them calling my cell and tying up that line. Maybe I'll dump it at some point... just not now.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Yes and No...

Yes it's a house phone but over Comcast...

G

gatewayad

Whats a land line?

Ha! just kidding haven't had one since 2003 maybe 02, so my cell and my Alert1 necklace is all i need (Help I've fallen and I cant get up) and I think since i keep my phone on my hip i can get rid of the Alert1

Again all above is a joke except not having a land line since 03