Razr Maxx lag - getting unbearable!

brunla

Reaction score
What is going on with the Maxx lately? Press home screen button and it takes 10-15 seconds sometimes to pop up. Phone is so slow.
Restarting everyday. Clearing Cache from root menu every few days. Only temporary fixes. Did a Factory reset a few weeks ago and helped, but now back to where it was. Just put on a task killer and auto cache clear. Does nothing.
Why is it these Motorola phones always start doing this (Droid,Bionic,etc.) every time a new phone is coming out? I am starting to get really suspicious of Motorola and Verizon. Thinking of switching to Samsung because of this constant lag issue with these phones.
Any fixes?

stam101

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. I'm on stock as well and most of my apps take 10-20 seconds just to pull up.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I would think that doing a fdr would've fixed the issue...I haven't heard about any viruses for android...but perhaps you should download an anti virus app and run it.. but then you should delete it..those apps change how the phone functions and can themselves cause lag..

skipbl92

Reaction score
I have been having the issue for a while. I use the fast reboot every time after unlocking. I thought originally it was some apps (which may still be a factor), but I really think it has something to do with the Motorola UI. I love the 3300 battery, but I only get 24 hours out of it unlike when I first got the phone. If I have to charge once a day anyways I mind as well get a phone with cool features, etc. I think I see a Samsung in my future.

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yes I have had lag issues as well. I have found it has a lot to do with apps. I have got rid of ones that I just don't need. Part of the issue I think is the 1G RAM its just not enough and the phone gets slow at times. I hate that when I am out and about and go to use it and its in one of its lag tantrums. I just want to throw it out of frustration! I have found turning off wifi when away from home seems to help a lot. I also tend to restart my phone anytime I download a new app or delete one and I also do not allow auto update that slows the phone down like a turtle in January. My battery life is still great after learning some tricks with turning wifi on and off. I am also watching the new phones closely. My update is not until late February but I am so sick of the lag my first moto was even worse. I still like the phone well enough but the constant maintenance to keep the lag down gets annoying.. But yet I have heard stories that Samsung and HTC have their own issues so I guess you pick your poison preference..

wcjeep

Reaction score
The weird Moto lag issues is why I left the fold awhile ago.

4low4fun

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue.. Phone just slow as sh#$ I deleted Facebook and wiped cache and now its like my phone is brand new again! Dont know what it is about facebook but when I checked my memory status Facebook and weather bug where always at the top of the list..

skipbl92

Reaction score
My "update" is February 28th. I go my MAXX on the leap year deal (2/29/12). Facebook is one of the problem apps. What is the point of a smartphone if you can only use the phone? All manufacturers have issues and I understand that. I was a Moto guy and switched to LG until the Original Droid came out. I've been pulling for Moto especially since they became Googorola. I am on unlimited data right now and don't want to give it up. So buying a phone outright or the 12 month deal Verizon offers I can't afford, so I am just reviewing and watching plans and devices. When I am at the point of wanting to throw my maxx against the wall I will make a decision. Sorry for being all over the place as I am responding on my phone and as things come to me.

moset

Reaction score
I think weatherlover1 is right. I'm bad about trying new apps and keeping them even if I never use them. I had lag bad, deleted a bunch and got rid of it. Remember after a FDR the apps reinstall from the store so you're soon back to where you were (depending on settings).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

YellowJacket

Reaction score
The lag depends a lot on what you have installed on your phone. As mentioned above, Facebook HOGS resources. Also, many free apps that push ads to your phone will search for your location in order to push a content/location specific ad to you. If you are in an area where a GPS signal is weak, such as in a building, it will take longer for the app to load because it is trying to find your location to send you specific advertising. I have this problem with one of my apps. Load it indoors and it can take as long as 20 seconds to load and runs very slow. Load it outside and it starts almost instantly.

WiFi and Data signal also make a big difference... not sure why but they do.

Be careful about what apps you load. Many of the free apps (but not all) can be buggy or try to push a bunch of garbage to your phone.

Another thing to do, and I do this daily is to clear the phones cache which will free up memory. I use the free app called appcache cleaner to do this on my phone and it works great. Yes, it too pushes ads but it does its job well.

As for getting a samsung, I'm all about the GS4 and love it and want one too. However, one of my co-workers has one and at the end of our 10 to 11 hour shifts when I have close to 70% of my battery left, he has between 4 and 10%.... and sometimes has already had to plug in and charge.

David

skipbl92

Reaction score
I think weatherlover1 is right. I'm bad about trying new apps and keeping them even if I never use them. I had lag bad, deleted a bunch and got rid of it. Remember after a FDR the apps reinstall from the store so you're soon back to where you were (depending on settings).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I made sure before I did the FDR to Disable Automatic Restore prior to performing a Hard (Factory) Reset when attempting to determine whether a 3rd party app is the cause of an Operating System / Application issue.

Then when I logged onto the device it only updated the apps that come with the build. Unfortunately Facebook is one of them. I just decided not to log onto FB, so I shouldn't have issues there. I am basically running my device as stock except for 2 additional apps I downloaded: Lookout Mobile Security & DropBox.

So we will see how the device performs!

skipbl92

Reaction score
So I did a factory reset. Everything was wiped and basically the phone is as if it was my first smartphone. I added 2 apps beyond the stock and then fully charged the phone. I did not sign into Facebook or setup Twitter. I only setup my personal email, Google products, DropBox & Lookout Mobile Security. I just looked and my battery is at 80% discharging and it has been over a day. Also I am using WiFi when at work and home. So when it comes time to put the phone back on the charger I will slowly add apps back to see which one or ones are causing the lag & battery drain. My guess Facebook is the #1 culprit.

skipbl92

Reaction score
So I wanted to give an update. Yesterday (8/28/13) at 3:30pm Eastern I was at 60% discharging and at 2d 0h 22m 11s on battery. It is now (8/29/13) 1:05pm it shows 40% discharging at 2d 17h 42m 35s on battery. For some reason the phone did not record around 4 hours of time. So I should be closer to 2days and 21-22 hours.

Remember this is resetting the phone to stock and with less than moderate use.

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
As for getting a samsung, I'm all about the GS4 and love it and want one too. However, one of my co-workers has one and at the end of our 10 to 11 hour shifts when I have close to 70% of my battery left, he has between 4 and 10%.... and sometimes has already had to plug in and charge.
If manufacturers weren't always hellbent about having the "thinnest phone available", we might actually have phones with decent battery life. I'm glad Motorola offers the RAZR in two different varieties, one with a similar battery to other phones, but thinner, and one that has a battery that actually lasts like a Smartphone is suppose to last. I wish there were other phones out there which compared to the MAXX's long-lasting battery. I'm actually on the edge of my seat, waiting to see how the Galaxy Note III fares up. No SD Card on the new MAXX is beginning to turn me off to getting another Motorola phone.

I've also had problems with my phone lagging. I did an FDR, changed launchers, and it was worse. Did another FDR, went back to my original launcher and now it's working pretty good. It doesn't last as long as it did before, but I haven't set up all of my SmartActions like I had, before. Those might've been slowing it down, but did wonders for my battery. I started with the Go Launcher EX, tried Apex and also tried Nova. I like the features on GO the best.

In terms of Facebook, isn't there a way you can change the update frequency? I would think this would have an effect on your battery. I can easily get through a day without charging, and I charge my phone at night, so this isn't an issue for me. I wonder if there's a way for you to set it so if will only update when you slide the screen down. If so, that might help, too.

TheWitness

Reaction score
Dump the blur and goto CyanogenMod 10.1.2. Its smooth and clean. It'll take some research. Then, lastly, if you subscribe to update notifications, that will kill you battery. JellyBean is a battery killer on the RAZR too.