SwiftKey keyboard lags

brucebanner77

Reaction score
Just as the title says. I have been using SwiftKey since my S3 days. Here lately (a month or so ago) if will work fine for about to days, then it will start to lag. I could type about 4 characters and it would not respond, and then all at one all the characters will appear. I've cleared the cache and data on the app. It will work good for about 2 days then start lagging again. Is anyone else having or had this problem? If so what fixed it.

Verizon
Motorola Droid Maxx (US)
Android 4.4.4 (kit kat)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
Went to the SwiftKey keyboard support page, and this is a known issue. They did purpose a couple of problems that may cause this. 1. There are high memory apps running in the background and to try closing them. 2. It's a low end device with inefficient memory to properly use the keyboard.

Question: how do you kill apps running in the background? Is it by going to recent apps and swiping the apps away???

Motorola Droid MAXX - App Disabling For Maximum Speed Battery Life - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I can not find some of these apps in muy app drawer. Where are they? (found them, go to app drawer, select manage apps)

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Go into settings, apps, running.. And you will see a list of all current running apps..

Swift key does this on my Maxx.. And makes typos out the butt on my turbo.. Something with the last update..

I'd reboot my device every few days.. It will knock down the number of running apps and gives the device a chance to get itself back in working order.. So to speak..

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
I've been doing that ; rebooting my phone about once a week.
I went thru that list in that article and disable quite a few apps, then I cleared the cache and data in the SwiftKey app. It's way better now. But will it remain is the question.

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
Is there an app that trully kills the apps, that is more convenient than going to app drawer then to manage apps???

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
There are app killers or task killer apps.. But the problem with many of them is that they will kill an app needed for another apps function.. Causing instability and crashes... You can try some out.. But they usually don't work very well on account of this issue..

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
Hmm, that sucks.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Just a thought for SwiftKey: when your KEYBOARD requires a hefty quad-core device with over 2GB of RAM, it's time to pare things back a bit.

My Moto X does the same thing and I have a GB free RAM.

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
What do you mean when you say "pare things back"?

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
Also, are you saying the Droid Maxx is not capable of running SwiftKey any more now that they have it so advanced?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Try the version without all of the emoji stuff on it.. I think they have a version like that..

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I don't think they do anymore. When they released the hub update, that was it.

When I say pare back, I mean cut back on stuff. Obviously a keyboard shouldn't need 60mb of RAM if that's too much for most devices. Obviously if the majority of devices can't run the keyboard properly because they doesn't have enough oomph, you're asking too much from them. Optimize. Limit. Trim. Make things optional downloads with a performance impact warning. Things like that.

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
Oh ok, your speaking reference to SwiftKey, not myself.

I've been using SwiftKey since the S3 came out. I hate switch.

I will say ever since I disable a bunch of those apps and deleted a few I no longer use, I haven't had any lag from my keyboard. (hope I didn't speak too soon)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I had to switch to Google keyboard for now because Swiftkey would freeze up my whole phone, very annoying when it came to texting. Hopefully they fix the Swiftkey issue soon because I keep mistyping with Google. Though compared to two days ago, I've gotten a bit more accurate.