OTA update failing

walker164

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

OTA update keeps failing when I go into recovery to update. It gives me an error message, simplified, like this (sorry no screenshot):

apply_patch_check "(system/app/BooksPhone.apk)" "(4df2cf......insert long checksum here....)" "(91dc91cc....insert long checksum here.....)"
E: error in tmp/sideload/package.zip

Been googling around and found this: Solution for Failed OTA Update (due to removed apps) - xda-developers but it hasnt helped me so far. I reinstalled Google Books and made sure it wasn't frozen, didnt work. I uninstalled Google Books a while back with TiBU with root perms cause I figured I would never need it. System app apparently. I think that's what my problem is. I copied "BooksPhone.apk" and "BooksPhone.odex" into /system/apps/ but that still didnt fix it. I get the same error. I got a pre-OTA "BooksPhone" files from that webpage. Also, normal OTA install (not through recovery console) didnt work either.

Any help or links to more pages would help alot. I want more reliable 4G!!

Thanks

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hey everyone,

OTA update keeps failing when I go into recovery to update.

Safest and fastest solution is to flash Fastboot ROM.

You will need to follow the instructions to flash the Fastboot ROM which takes you back to stock .744, then root and protect, then OTA to .748 (2.3.5) and eventually back to .173 (2.3.6).

Instructions can be found here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1416058).

Your files and settings will be preserved as long as you don't do the factory reset after flashing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
walker164

walker164

Reaction score
Safest and fastest solution is to flash Fastboot ROM.

You will need to follow the instructions to flash the Fastboot ROM which takes you back to stock .744, then root and protect, then OTA to .748 (2.3.5) and eventually back to .173 (2.3.6).

Instructions can be found here ([Fastboot Files] Gingerbread 2.3.5 CDMA Droid Razr XT912 Verizon USA [Fastboot Files] - xda-developers).

Your files and settings will be preserved as long as you don't do the factory reset after flashing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Great - I'll give it a try later tonhight.

Thanks