Original Droid on 2.2. Launchers insanely slow

joeybarclay

Reaction score
i used adw because of the keep in memory option. i almost never get redraws and i used to get them all the time and for a virus to be effective the user would have to grant it root access. most people are probably smart enough to avoid those tricky viruses like the one called "fakemediaplayertrojan.apk"

OP
A

apastuszak

Reaction score
Had Launcher Pro installed. Chose the Keep In Memory option in the preferences and am much happier now. Seems to launch a lot faster.

OP
A

apastuszak

Reaction score
Scratch that. Taking 5 seconds to load icons and widgets again. This is unacceptable. It's not just Launcher Pro. Zeam, ADW and stock are all doing it too. WTF!

Darkseider

Reaction score
Scratch that. Taking 5 seconds to load icons and widgets again. This is unacceptable. It's not just Launcher Pro. Zeam, ADW and stock are all doing it too. WTF!

OK. Seeing that you are rooted you can do the local.prop hack (no I don't know it off the top of my head). Two what ROM are you running? What kernel? When was the last time you just blew the phone out clean, wiped the SD Card and started from scratch? Also note that 1 Ghz doesn't mean awesome UI performance. I was at 1 Ghz with Chevy's LV kernel running BB v0.4 and my redraws were horrible at times. when checking free resources in running services I would have like 8+21 available in X. After blowing my phone out and installing BB v0.5 and a Slayher kernel I am now flying along. Could be a lot of things effecting performance.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Before Minfreemanager, I always had redraw problems running adw and launcher pro. I NEVER have them anymore with my Droid 1. Minfreemanager is NOT a task killer, so no one get excited please. Here are my minfreemanager settings:

OP
A

apastuszak

Reaction score
Ok, I force killed all the launchers on m phone. I set ADW.Launcher as my default. I turned on System Persistent and things seem a lot faster now after a battery pull.

I am running rooted stock 2.2 with Chevy's 1 Ghz ULV kernel.

I realize overclocking a phone is not the same as getting a new phone, performance-wise, but it should be faster than a stock Droid.

The only problem I am having with ADW is the app drawer. I like the horizontal layout, but when I swipe to move over it tends to select an icon rather than move to the next page of icons about half the time.

So far, performance seems more than acceptable using ADW.

velocity92c

Reaction score
There really is no fix for the redraws because if there was, it would be widely available and everyone would use it. Not to mention the devs of ADW and LP would implement the fix into their launchers by default. I've got 7 or 8 friends that have Droids and all of their phones redraw too, with a wide variety of setups. I've tried literally everything and while some things will temporarily relieve the redraws there is no permanent fix. I really believe Froyo has some terrible memory management. 'keep in memory' should work, and based on its name, as it sounds as if that would set aside a certain amount of memory for the launcher, but it just doesn't work. If someone tells you they have no redraw issues on froyo, they're lying. :)

velocity92c

Reaction score
Oh and the reply about windows phone, am I the only one that caught onto that obvious troll?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh and the reply about windows phone, am I the only one that caught onto that obvious troll?
I thought about that and if you look at previous posts it wouldn't appear that way. Maybe somebody hijacked this account, that seems like a more likely story. History shows he had an Eris before a Droid.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
ghostwheel-albums-random-picture2092-o-rly.jpg

Couldn't resist.

chromashadows

Reaction score
No my account wasn't hacked. I seriously didn't know and was asking an honest questiin :(.... I'm not a dood either. I'm a 37 yo female... I got the av because it was an app available which said it was necessary. I removed it. What abouts task killer? What do we do instead of that's to make sure things don't run that drain battery?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No my account wasn't hacked. I seriously didn't know and was asking an honest questiin :(.... I'm not a dood either. I'm a 37 yo female... I got the av because it was an app available which said it was necessary. I removed it. What abouts task killer? What do we do instead of that's to make sure things don't run that drain battery?

The back button...Android will take care of the rest.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Re: Task Killers.

Why is no one mentioning the "task killer" built into the OS?
MENU > SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > MANAGE APPLICATIONS
Button at the top: RUNNING

You can kill any running apps right there. The Task killers just provide a shortcut to that (while remaining in memory themselves and earning a bad rep for it).

Darkseider

Reaction score

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

There is your answer to task killers. Burn them! BURN THEM WITH FIRE!!!