Stable Home Replacement???

onefix

Reaction score
So, I've got a Moto Droid and I've tried many of the home replacements and each one that I've tried has problems. I am only looking for one major feature and I'm willing to live with a lot of limitations after that...I want a customizable launcher tray.

Below are a list of Home replacements and my opinions on the ones that I have tried.

LauncherPro - Love the Launcher, like the 5 rows feature, but it takes the home screen too long to load (like ~10 seconds)...this is the most recent one that I have tried and I have finally given up with the slow speed.

ADW - Seems to have the same problems as LauncherPro. I also liked LauncherPro's icons for the launcher.

Home++ - Nice Launcher, lightweight, but too many Force Closes and doesn't look to be updated regularly (this is the first one I used).

Zeam - Slowed way down, and most recently, too many FCs under 2.2 (this is what I used before LauncherPro).

aHome / Open Home / GDE / etc - These are older and are nice if you want a theme, but they don't really have the newest features.

So, I ask. Has anyone been able to find a fast + stable home replacement that has a good launcher tray? Are your findings of these apps the same as mine or am I missing something with one of them?

meaker

Reaction score
Launcher pro load up quick on my phone.. It's faster then my stock home.. Might want to give it another try..

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
You need to try to tweak the settings on launcher pro. The developer has said that one general setting does not work for every phone and to try to edit the settings to find the most stable one for your set up. I used to have insane redraws but now i have none at all. You just need to find what settings work for you

bishoy

Reaction score
launcher pro all the way. try uninstalling and reinstalling

eliassami5

Reaction score
there is a setting to keep launcher pro in memory, check that setting and then go to advanced and start at a low memory profile and work your way up till your screen dosent have to reload as often. Android closes the home screens to free up memory for whatever memory intensive app you are using at the moment. Usually flash content on the internet needs a lot of memory as well as a lot of games in the market. Its something you will have to live with, but tweak the setting a bit and you wont have to deal with it too much.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If you don't get carried away (in a way no other launcher can even approach), Sweeterhome is pretty flawless. I have 14+ "screens" and over 2 dozen widgets and I have redraw issues, not horrible but usually only after flash or extended browsing.

Anyway, go to Sweeterhome.com and download the latest beta. Then go download a theme until you find one with a home button you like. These are COMPLETELY customizeable as far as what apps to include in a tray, or have a button launch a shortcut. I have just simple buttons that I tweaked the aesthetics on (I think they look pretty good), but have seen other people do some pretty advanced things with icons instead or graphics/pics they brought in.

There's a learning curve and it can be a bit cumbersome to use, but NOTHING remotely comes close to the customization at your fingertips - almost nothing you can't do and it has some really nice custom widgets or lists (call log, contact list, date/time blocks, tagged trays). I've tried all the other launchers to see why the fuss is and don't get the obsession at all. When Sweeterhome goes public it's going to explode - look at how popular themes are and then think about being able to design and distribute a complete homescreen set-up. I think it's a game changer.

I actually really like what I did with my apps - have a button that takes me to a "screen" where I have my 8 top tool apps and most frequently used settings/control widgets....Have 8 more buttons along the side of the screen that have all my apps presorted - access is instantaneous and I never have to scroll for something or wait for it to load.

Last edited:

EbE404

Reaction score
If you don't get carried away (in a way no other launcher can even approach), Sweeterhome is pretty flawless. I have 14+ "screens" and over 2 dozen widgets and I have redraw issues, not horrible but usually only after flash or extended browsing.

Anyway, go to Sweeterhome.com and download the latest beta. Then go download a theme until you find one with a home button you like. These are COMPLETELY customizeable as far as what apps to include in a tray, or have a button launch a shortcut. I have just simple buttons that I tweaked the aesthetics on (I think they look pretty good), but have seen other people do some pretty advanced things with icons instead or graphics/pics they brought in.

There's a learning curve and it can be a bit cumbersome to use, but NOTHING remotely comes close to the customization at your fingertips - almost nothing you can't do and it has some really nice custom widgets or lists (call log, contact list, date/time blocks, tagged trays). I've tried all the other launchers to see why the fuss is and don't get the obsession at all. When Sweeterhome goes public it's going to explode - look at how popular themes are and then think about being able to design and distribute a complete homescreen set-up. I think it's a game changer.

I'll give a +1 to Sweeterhome. I've been using it for ages, it's matured nicely and the level of customization is really second to none.

That said, there are two caveats. First, there is a bit of a learning curve. You can download themes created for it, but you will have to do at least some basic editing (although that "basic editing" can quickly become an addiction).

Second, it is a beta (and has been that way for a while), so there are occasional bugs, although it's gotten to be quite stable.

I agree that when it is finished, it will be a game-changing app. Just not sure when exactly that's going to be...

Definitely worth checking out, if nothing else.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+2 to sweeterhome! NOTHING can touch this home replacement :D

My current theme:

snap20100618_022944.png

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
As a rookie to SweeterHome I will have to agree: x3 to SH! I have become completely obsessed with designing, etc.

Yep, you were warned...

I think I'm pretty much done after many, many hours. Might play around with locker widget or something like that but I've pretty much overmaxed the Droid's memory. Maybe look into some themes and icon editing.

Can't wait to upgrade my phone in 6 months and then I can go nuts again, maybe doubling the size of my existing theme!

BeADroid

Reaction score
For my money you gotta go with Launcher PRO Plus - the widgets included are SICK!!! I must also agree with figuring our which settings work with your phone. I have tried all the ones you listed, and I love and will never leave Launcher PRO. If you are not rooted, it gives you the 3D app drawer and other cool features. IF you are having probelms, check out the launcher pro forum. It can be really helpful.

brando56894

Reaction score
I usually switch between Launcher Pro and ADW depending on which on works best with whatever rom im on. Im currently using ADW on Sapphire v1 and its flawless compared to what LP was (redraws even after tweaking settings various times). I may check out sweeterhome...

+2 to sweeterhome! NOTHING can touch this home replacement :D

My current theme:

snap20100618_022944.png

LOVE IT!!

Dubbin1

Reaction score
Sweeter home didn't last long on my phone, I like launcher pro much better.

holc2600

Reaction score
New to Sweeter Home

I just downloaded SH directly from the website, but I can't find it anywhere. After downloading, I shut my phone down & restarted it, but it doesn't come up. Any help???