LauncherPro swap in /system?

slider112

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Quick question:

I'm running LGB 3.0 on my D1 and loving it, but wanted to make one change to things; specifically to LauncherPro. I'm currently using LauncherPro, the latest version (0.8.6), it's my only home launcher, and it's installed in /system straight from the rom install. I have a themed previous version (0.8.4.1) that I'd like to use instead. Unfortunately different apk signatures prevent a straight up install on top of the current version. My question is this: instead of going through the process of installing another launcher (ADW for example), uninstalling the current version of LauncherPro, installing my version, removing ADW, using my version... Would it be possible to take my LauncherPro apk, put it in a zip file, and flash it to system and overwrite the current version, just like any other app? Done this many times with themed markets, gmail, etc... all system apps as well. Theoretically I'd think it would work fine, but with it being a home replacement I'm a little skeptical that that's all it would take. Does anyone have any experience with this or believe that this would work?

As always, thanks in advance!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
It might work. The only thing that may cause an issue is sometimes I know older versions do not flash over newer ones. You could try it but if it does not work then just use the switch in liquid settings to install another launcher then flash it. I know you said you do not want to do this but within liquid setting it is a one script move instead of all the installs and delete.

OP
slider112

slider112

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply JSM...

Got the zip file built and ready to go but decided to just use the old rename/copy/paste method first to see if it worked... renamed the current LPP file in /system from .apk to .bak, then renamed my LPP apk file and changed permissions to match the original and moved it into system... worked like a charm, settings took effect immediately. Like I said, I had done this many times prior with market and gmail apk's and am pleased to report that it works flawlessly with the LPP apk as well! Nice to have my green themed LPP up and running on this kick ass rom :D

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
That's actually my preferred method for installing system apps. Works almost every time just didn't think to suggest it. Good catch.

Enjoy all that sweet green!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
slider112

slider112

Reaction score
That's actually my preferred method for installing system apps. Works almost every time just didn't think to suggest it. Good catch.

Enjoy all that sweet green!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Thanks JSM; yeah, I agree... that method has always worked best for me. Definitely glad it worked in this case too. The one feature that my themed version has that the market version doesn't have is green dock pop up bubbles instead of red for missed calls/gmail/sms. I'd love to get the current version edited the same way some day. Sounds like a small thing, but when I had red bubbles popping up in a green and black theme it just wasn't the same :biggrin: