Original Droid on 2.2. Launchers insanely slow

apastuszak

Reaction score
Ok, I have had this problem since 2.2 was released. Every launcher I try is now insanely slow, especially when I exit an app. The launcher loads, but it takes forever for it to show the icons and widgets.

The stock 2.2 launcher does it. Launcher Pro does it. ADW Launcher does it. The only launcher that comes reasonably close to a decent speed is Zeam, and even Zeam is slow.

I rooted the phone and installed an overclocked 1Ghz kernel and it made no difference to the speed of the widgets and icons taking forever to refresh when a launcher loads.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Usual questions. Are you running a task killer or virus protection? Rooted or not you don't need one.

My D1 stock launcher works fine. I see a lot of talk about redraw and that may be your issue. Don't know what the fix is.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I have a stock Droid and no task killer or antivirus. My icons are also sometimes slow to load after hitting the home screen when in an app. It started with 2.2, maybe even with 22D. I can't remember which. I just live with it, as it only happens occasionally. Most of the time I get the icons instantly, but occasionally it takes up to 5 seconds to redraw.

chromashadows

Reaction score
Usual questions. Are you running a task killer or virus protection? Rooted or not you don't need one.

I have a virus protection because this IS a windows phone and downloading apps CAN put a virus onto the phone. I have had warnings come up before when downloading (non 3rd parties as I don't have that option turned on on the phone settings; all apps are from the market ONLY) an app that it had a virus.

And task killers ARE necessary as well. If you don't kill tasks, your battery gets sucked dry faster than a bit of water in the sahara desert. It always runs things I do NOT use and that also runs the battery down. How do we turn off such useless battery draining things without a task killer? Advice would help. My battery drains in about 3 hours if I ignore task killer. If I turn things off via task killer, keep the display fully dark, set screen to turn off at 15 seconds, etc, my battery will last a good day or two.

Jmart922

Reaction score
Haha windows phone? Seriously? The redraw isn't the only problem dude, personally I uninstalled ATK and anti-virus and my phones been running better, just my experience

Darkseider

Reaction score
Welcome to 2.2 with the stock launcher! The best thing to do is use a replacement launcher like Launcher Pro from the market. The next thing if the redrawing is still bothersome is to backup your data and apps and do a factory wipe and re-install your stuff. Lastly is root the phone, install a custom ROM and kernel and apply the many hacks found to keep the launcher in memory, etc... which helps reduce this as well. Yeah I know... decisions, decisions...

Darkseider

Reaction score

I have a virus protection because this IS a windows phone and downloading apps CAN put a virus onto the phone. I have had warnings come up before when downloading (non 3rd parties as I don't have that option turned on on the phone settings; all apps are from the market ONLY) an app that it had a virus.

And task killers ARE necessary as well. If you don't kill tasks, your battery gets sucked dry faster than a bit of water in the sahara desert. It always runs things I do NOT use and that also runs the battery down. How do we turn off such useless battery draining things without a task killer? Advice would help. My battery drains in about 3 hours if I ignore task killer. If I turn things off via task killer, keep the display fully dark, set screen to turn off at 15 seconds, etc, my battery will last a good day or two.

Wow.. ok really? You're joking, right? RIGHT? If not I suggest two things. Sell your phone IMMEDIATELY and go purchase a non-featured flip phone. Then with the extra money buy yourself a clue. Ok I am done, for now.

EDIT: OK. Now that I have had time to breathe and relax a little. Android is NOT a Windows phone and is no way tied to Microsoft in any way, shape or form. Android is a mobile operating system that is based on Linux and uses the Linux 2.6 kernel and is developed and distributed freely by Google.

Task Killers are the root of all evil, burn them! BURN THEM WITH FIRE!!! My suggestion is to backup your data, wipe your SD Card and install the apps you want from scratch and restore the data. Lastly as to a virus. Is it possible? maybe. Will it do any real damage. No. Prior to installing any application it tells you what it needs access to. You can make your decision from there. Any popular app, particularly those produced by large software house or service companies are safe. The no name "sexy girls MCMXVCIII wallpaper" app is probably a BAD idea and doesn't require a degree in rocket science to figure out.

Last edited:

neilrl79

Reaction score
In the Bugless section of this forum there was a really helpful write-up on reducing/eliminating re-draw. I'm using it on UD8 with the launcher 2 that it came with and I've noticed incredible improvement.

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
I have a virus protection because this IS a windows phone and downloading apps CAN put a virus onto the phone.

And task killers ARE necessary as well. If you don't kill tasks, your battery gets sucked dry faster than a bit of water in the sahara desert.

For the love of all things holy and right, please tell me you're joking.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Wow, thanks for enlightening me. Here I thought this was a linux based system! I'm going to put virus protection on my phone right away.:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Seriously, I think you need to spend a little more time in the Forum and read about the Droid and how it works. Then you would understand that Virus Protection is an unnecessary resource hog and that it does not need task killers. It's actually a Google phone. And you can start reading about task killers here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

OP
A

apastuszak

Reaction score
Nope....

No task killers, no antivirus.

I am on the original Droid.

Rooted with 1 Ghz kernel.

OP
A

apastuszak

Reaction score
I have Launcher Pro on the phone and it's not any faster.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Hahaha!!!! One of the funniest things I've read all day...and I've been on the FML app!!
Android has nothing, repeat NOTHING to do with Windows (wouldn't own it if it did)! The Linux system already has a task killer so another one will only add to someone's demise!