OFFICIAL FRG22D OTA patch is here. DOWNLOAD NOW!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I just grabbed the package and am checking it out now to see what all is in it. Just because it is small doesn't mean there isn't anything fun inside.

First, like the OTA before it, this one will attempt to enable what I call the FRS. If it succeeds, flashing on a custom recovery will not stick unless you change your kernel or disable the FRS in another way (see the link).

Second,package is coded to install over the following builds:
Code:
verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG01B/45394:user/release-keys
verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG22D/50454:user/release-keys

That second one in the list is the same build fingerprint as you'll have when the patch finishes (and is also the same build fingerprint that was in P3Droid's leak earlier in the week).

Perhaps there was an earlier OTA with the same build fingerprint that saw very limited distribution. Why else would you design a package coded to install over it's own build fingerprint?

Anyway, that's what I see in there on first glance.
So, let me get this straight. I get blasted and mocked before the official patch rolls out for saying they were going to do this, and now they're doing it? Wow. I guess I need to get out from inside this tinfoil bunker and out from under this tinfoil hat I'm wearing and realize people don't do that in the real world.

joeybarclay

Reaction score
this may break Universal Androot. sorry if someone already posted this

BoxcuttaStyle

Reaction score

I can confirm this. Was on FRG01B last night, rooted and happy. Today I installed the update and UA was unable to root. I am now going to wipe and roll back to see if I can get root back.

jase

Reaction score
Easy fix. Do this procedure. Only hazard is that you've already got busybox on your phone and the update.zip in that procedure is going to put it on again -- maybe in the same place, maybe not. It will get your root working again (unless your root was really odd before which it might have been if you used one of those quickie rooters -- I have no idea where they put things) and you'll also have SPRecovery and the FRS will be disabled.

Huge thanks, Moto! That was the next step, and you saved me some time tracking down that thread and making sure I had the right one.

I should also mention that it worked like a charm. I guess now I need to go the rest of the way and learn what to do beyond just SetCPU and tethering, which is all I had done previously.

Into the deep end. Time to learn to swim! Thanks again!

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Good point -- but it's not the recovery they flash on that you have to worry about -- it's the bootloader. We can replace the recovery at will on the Droid as long as the bootloader cooperates. This update does also install an updated bootloader but I've not had a chance to take a look at it yet to see if it is 2C.7C again or a new one.

I'm going to run it "as is" onto my DEV phone and see what bootloader we get. The recovery doesn't worry me. Will report back shortly.

Woops. My bad. This update does not have an updated bootloader. I was looking at the updater-script out of the FRG01B OTA. This one just updates the boot image and the recovery image, but not the bootloader.

The update will also break your "su" on the phone if you're rooted because it changes the permissions on everything in /system/bin to 0755. The su file needs to be 6755 to work.

I haven't had a chance to go through it extensively, but it doesn't replace the bootloader and everything it does replace can get put back with a nandroid restore, so it's fairly harmless (which is not to say it won't mess anything up).

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score

I can confirm this. Was on FRG01B last night, rooted and happy. Today I installed the update and UA was unable to root. I am now going to wipe and roll back to see if I can get root back.
Maybe too late to stop you but that's definitely the hard way.

BoxcuttaStyle

Reaction score
Well rolling back doesn't appear to be an option as it keeps failing. So what's the next step? I'm guessing I need to install SuperRecovery again, go back to 2.0.1 and update from there.

wish me luck

keiichi25

Reaction score
Motorola Droid
Android Versions 2.2
Baseband Version C_01.43.01P
Kernal Version: 2.6.32.9-g874c292 android-build@apa26 #1
Build Number FRG22D

Stock Droid, unrooted. Flash Player 10.1 showed up in market and installed and working.

Did notice that it also did a little update on the default email client where it prompted me about re-affirming security with an Exchange server and warning me that the Exchange server can remotely erase e-mail on the droid (For the exchange side).

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Good point -- but it's not the recovery they flash on that you have to worry about -- it's the bootloader. We can replace the recovery at will on the Droid as long as the bootloader cooperates. This update does also install an updated bootloader but I've not had a chance to take a look at it yet to see if it is 2C.7C again or a new one.

I'm going to run it "as is" onto my DEV phone and see what bootloader we get. The recovery doesn't worry me. Will report back shortly.

Woops. My bad. This update does not have an updated bootloader. I was looking at the updater-script out of the FRG01B OTA. This one just updates the boot image and the recovery image, but not the bootloader.

The update will also break your "su" on the phone if you're rooted because it changes the permissions on everything in /system/bin to 0755. The su file needs to be 6755 to work.

I haven't had a chance to go through it extensively, but it doesn't replace the bootloader and everything it does replace can get put back with a nandroid restore, so it's fairly harmless (which is not to say it won't mess anything up).

Moto...

Should I uninstall or remove busybox before using your file that contains busy box? Have you had a chance to see if it overwrites an exising busybox or just adds another copy?

usranger80

Reaction score
Ok, so I have read through this entire forum, as well as other forums over at DL, MDW, etc... and either I am just a little slow or I can't seem to find a definate answer for these questions, probably the first option.

1. I am rooted, running Pete's FRG22 from awhile back, can/should I install this, or am I DEFINITELY going to lose my root

2. If I do flash this and loose root, has a method been established to restore root and keep the update 22D?

3. When P3 released his leaked version of 22D there was some speculation about it and everyone said they were waiting to install it because something "wasn't right" , is that leaked version going to give me the exact same thing as this OTA release will if I flash it, or are we still debating over that leak?

I am sure these questions have been answered already but if someone can dumb it down in a nutshell that would be great, and I don't need anyone insulting my intelligence in a reply, I have already done that at the beginning of the post. Thanks in advance

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not dumb questions, I think everyone is trying to figure out the answers.

Ok, so I have read through this entire forum, as well as other forums over at DL, MDW, etc... and either I am just a little slow or I can't seem to find a definate answer for these questions, probably the first option.

1. I am rooted, running Pete's FRG22 from awhile back, can/should I install this, or am I DEFINITELY going to lose my root

2. If I do flash this and loose root, has a method been established to restore root and keep the update 22D?

3. When P3 released his leaked version of 22D there was some speculation about it and everyone said they were waiting to install it because something "wasn't right" , is that leaked version going to give me the exact same thing as this OTA release will if I flash it, or are we still debating over that leak?

I am sure these questions have been answered already but if someone can dumb it down in a nutshell that would be great, and I don't need anyone insulting my intelligence in a reply, I have already done that at the beginning of the post. Thanks in advance

dwoid

Reaction score

Pete's FRG22 was loaded using a custom recovery, unless you subvert that recovery, you will *not* be able to use this patch. If you do subvert that recovery, you *will* loose root.

No, but you can load P3's FRG22D and keep root.

There is debate over what P3 meant by "received OTA" in his OP. The wording was curious, perhaps put that way to avoid another C&D order. However there is little doubt that P3's FRG22D leak is a real Verizon release candidate and it probably is the installer that will be used in the VZW stores when needed for customers.

I can't speak for everyone, but I've been running P3's FRG22D since shortly after he released it and consider it the best Froyo leak or OTA that I've run yet (and I've tried them all). Smoother, crisper, and it does allow Flash to be installed from the Market.

You've got to choose though. Good luck! dancedroid