New to MIUI, read the stickys but have a few easy questions.

dpaine88

Reaction score
Alright, So I have had my phone rooted for about 1.5 years now and have used a wide variety of ROMs from CM6/7 to Project Elite to Liquid.

I recall flashing MIUI for like a day or two when I was in my flash addict phase but it was on Froyo I believe. But I am now interested in trying it again :)

Just a few easy questions.

1) Is everyone using the Gingerbread version of MIUI? Lots of ROMs still have some bugs with Gingerbead for the OG, is this one pretty stable?(no reboots, missed texts, incoming call stuck on vibrate etc)

2) I went about 2-3 pages back and saw nothing but [DEV] builds, has there not been a [STABLE] build yet for GB?

3) I love the themes in the theme sticky posted on here, but they have not been updated since February. Are these themes still usable?

4) Lastly, I have been using GO Launcher for a while now and love it, do most people stick with the MIUI launcher? Is it even possible to use a different one?

Thanks in advance!

chewy74

Reaction score
1. It depends on how may apps you're running in the background, what you're doing at the moment of incoming call or txt. For txt lock into memory with provided script. See OP for instructions

2. See this for more more info
http://forums.miui.us/showthread.php?1663-Stable-vs-Development-Builds

3. The old themes will for the most part work, but I wouldn't use the old ones. They are not in the updated file format used by the themer. Mtz so will take longer to theme...also some parts will not theme. Fc may occur

4. I prefer using stock launcher because it just goes with the miui experience. Using another launcher is like buying an iPhone only to overly it with an android UI...but yes, other launchers will work

Hope that helped

OP
dpaine88

dpaine88

Reaction score
1. It depends on how may apps you're running in the background, what you're doing at the moment of incoming call or txt. For txt lock into memory with provided script. See OP for instructions

2. See this for more more info
Stable vs Development Builds

3. The old themes will for the most part work, but I wouldn't use the old ones. They are not in the updated file format used by the themer. Mtz so will take longer to theme...also some parts will not theme. Fc may occur

4. I prefer using stock launcher because it just goes with the miui experience. Using another launcher is like buying an iPhone only to overly it with an android UI...but yes, other launchers will work

Hope that helped

Thanks chewy, you cleared a lot up.

I just have two more questions.

Is there an option to use the stable Froyo MIUI? I looked 6-8 pages back and couldnt find anything but the Dev builds on GB.

Also, hows the stock kernel? Are there any alternatives to use?

Thanks!

Taco

Reaction score
There are still froyo builds on here that do run smooth and there was one stable gingerbread build released in august or july I believe.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
dpaine88

dpaine88

Reaction score
There are still froyo builds on here that do run smooth and there was one stable gingerbread build released in august or july I believe.

Thanks Taco, is it the Froyo builds that work with the themes listed in the sticky? They all look kick-ass.

For the DEV builds, is there no usable themes for it?

Taco

Reaction score
Um I never themed my miui so I'm not sure honestly so I really don't know for sure. I like the stock theme tbh.

OP
dpaine88

dpaine88

Reaction score
Um I never themed my miui so I'm not sure honestly so I really don't know for sure. I like the stock theme tbh.

Thanks Taco!

Taco

Reaction score
No problem. But if you go back far enough there are froyo builds on here ... I flash them from time to time.

OP
dpaine88

dpaine88

Reaction score
No problem. But if you go back far enough there are froyo builds on here ... I flash them from time to time.

Hmm ok, I went back to page 9 with no success. I did a search for [STABLE] in titles without any luck either...

Unrelated, I am trying to lock SMS into memory with the script. Do you know the process name for it by any chance? /system/app doesnt seem to show the process names like in /data/app

chewy74

Reaction score
The stable build is nothing mind blowing according to magiman7. You will not really find a noticeable performance change. I do not believe the stable build has ever been released yet. I think it was explained in the link I provided above

I think the last froyo build before moving to gb was 1.4.17

I use ChevyNo1 ulv 1100 kernel. If you decide to experiment with a few, mag has the stock kernel posted a a flashable zip to go back to stock

Also the stickied themes threads were for the froyo builds. Go to miui.us to see the numerous updated themes available for the current builds

OP
dpaine88

dpaine88

Reaction score
Thanks dude, very helpful!

Will most of the themes on miui.us work? Or do they specifically have to be for the 10-28-11 build?

chewy74

Reaction score
They will all work with the gingerbread version miui but you should always look for the latest theme versions.