Need help with first steps to rooting

Sbeck

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've had my X for about a month now and I'm reading to root. The main thing I want is the free wifi tether. Are the steps root and then backup?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

KHeeney5

Reaction score
Yes. I suggest getting titanium backup from the market and backing up using that (will back up apps and data) Then you need z4root to root. And then you need Droid X Recovery Bootstrap to boot into recovery. Then backup from recovery (nand backup) to make a 'screen shot' of your current stock rom. Then install what ROM you want.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
S

Sbeck

Reaction score
So I use titanium backup BEFORE the root? Then root, then backup with nandroid backup from the system recovery mode that I got to using the bootstrap?

KHeeney5

Reaction score
So I use titanium backup BEFORE the root? Then root, then backup with nandroid backup from the system recovery mode that I got to using the bootstrap?

Sorry I'm trying to find a post I made with step by step directions. If I were you I'd read plenty before you root. Hang on. I'm working on finding this. Sorry for not answering yet! Hold tight!

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
S

Sbeck

Reaction score
Is nand backup the same thing as nandroid backup? If so, what's the price? Titanium backup pro is right at $6. ...and I need both?

KHeeney5

Reaction score
Here are all of the ROM's for the X on this site:
Droid X Roms - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Here is ApeX:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/fa...id-x-running-running-fast-can-12-16-10-a.html

Directions:
**Read this list entirely through twice before you do anything.
**I also HIGHLY suggest reading all of the instructions in the original post of ApeX if that is the ROM that you choose to go with.

---Download the ROM that you want to install and make sure that it is in a .zip folder (some browsers rename), and that it is on the main directory of your SD card (it makes it easier to find if it is not in folders)

1.) Make sure you have Z4Root installed. Google it. Current version is 1.3 and you'll have to get it at XDA's website because it's not in the market. Google 'Z4Root 1.3'. Download the .apk file and install on your phone.
2.) Download and install Droid X Recovery Bootstrap from the market.
3.) Reboot
4.) Run Z4Root, click "Root Me"
5.) Phone will reboot after rooting
-If you want, now you can backup using titanium backup. What this will do is back up all apps and data so that if you flash a new rom you can restore all apps and data. Otherwise. The market will automatically push all your apps to your phone. But you won't have the data. I recommend the paid version. One click and you can back all apps up. Honestly it may be easiest to start fresh without backing up apps if you don't mind having them all redownload and losing data and such. Anyhow.
6.) Run Droid X Recovery Bootstrap
7.) Click Bootstrap Recovery
8.) Click Ok when the pop up shows
9.) Click Reboot Recovery
10.) Phone will now boot into recovery

Now you are at the Recovery screen. Uses the volume rocker to navigate up and down, and the camera button to select. Also, the power/sleep button can be used to go back.

11.) Scroll down to "backup and restore"
12.) Click backup
13.) This will backup your stock ROM (basically a screen shot off your entire system as it stands, so of you ever need to unroot and go stock, this is the file that you will flash in the bootstrapper. Then all you will have to do is unroot using z4root and you will be stock.)
---File will be stored in the /clockwork folder on your SD card, I recommend backing up this file to you computer also.
14.) back at the main screen, press "wipe data/factory reset"
15.) The press "wipe cache partition"
16.) Then go to "install zip from sd card"
17.) Then choose "Choose zip from sdcard"
18.) Select the ROM (the ziped folder) that you put on there)
19.) click yes
20.) it will install, should put you back at the main menu with the top option being to reboot system now, select this, and you're done!

Again, I suggest reading the 1st post in the rom that you think you are going to use, most developers also include instructions. Read everything twice (including this), and do it once, successfully. THERE YOU GO! HAVE FUN!

Let me know if you have any issues.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
S

Sbeck

Reaction score
If I root and don't like it or want to go back to stock, how hard is it to go back to 100% stock?

KHeeney5

Reaction score
If you just root, easy. Just click unroot in z4root and it'll unroot you. Then uninstall any 'root' apps that you have downloaded.

If you ROM, just run a back up in bootstrapper like I listed in the step by step process. If you need to go to stock, just click 'restore' in the bootstrapper and choose that file go restore to. Then once you have done that, just unroot and you're stock.

If I root and don't like it or want to go back to stock, how hard is it to go back to 100% stock?

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
S

Sbeck

Reaction score
Thanks khenny5, you've been a great help. I'm going to read and reread and then in the morning I'm rooting!!!!

KHeeney5

Reaction score
No problem. The writeup I did (the link I posted) is a little more detailed, I'd read that. If you have any questions shoot me a PM. I will be busy tomorrow but will try to check my phone often! If all goes well let me know. :)

Thanks khenny5, you've been a great help. I'm going to read and reread and then in the morning I'm rooting!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
S

Sbeck

Reaction score
I was noticing step 14 says wipe data/factory reset. Does this wipe my Droid X out just like the day I got it?

Sent from my DROIDX

KHeeney5

Reaction score
Yeah. You have to clear all data before you install a ROM. Which is why you back up first. :D

I was noticing step 14 says wipe data/factory reset. Does this wipe my Droid X out just like the day I got it?

Sent from my DROIDX

Sent from my DROIDX