Root or Not to root...??

reyoung17

Reaction score
I've had the Droid X for a few months now. But have grown tired of the factory look... I'm debating on rooting it to be able to install a new ROM and theme. Also wanna be able to tether it... I have z4root to root it. Not so much worried about being able to root it. From what I've read its click it and it does its thing. However, what I am worried about is how to install a new ROM and choosing a good one. Any suggestions?

tnronin

Reaction score
I was hesitant to root my D1. Glad I did it. Once you get the terms down doing this stuff isn't hard. I'm not an expert by any stretch. I'm learning as I go. I wanted to extend the battery and CM has done just that.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Technoman

Reaction score
Rooting is not the issue, but loading custom ROM's is different with the X versus the Droid 1. It is up to you, and you need to do it for yourself. Don't let anyone else talk you into it.

OP
R

reyoung17

Reaction score
Rooting is not the issue, but loading custom ROM's is different with the X versus the Droid 1. It is up to you, and you need to do it for yourself. Don't let anyone else talk you into it.

No one is talking me into it. I'm wanting to do it myself. Just not sure I know everything i need to know in order to do it correctly. And the last thing i wanna do is lock down my phone.

guest00459

Reaction score
Peer pressure! Anyone have any roofies? We are going to date rape your phone

B

doomer4life

Reaction score
Lol anywho what questions do you have? What are you specifically worried about?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

jonecat

Reaction score
While I agree you should root your X, I honestly have not seen much benefit to the custom ROMs in the X community. I have tried almost all of them and come back to stock every time, it is by far the most stable.

So unless you find form more important that function, I would not bother with it. If you do end up going with a custom ROM go with Liberty or Apex, they seem the nicest to me.

OP
R

reyoung17

Reaction score
I have a friend that is running liberty v1.5 on his droid x and he says he likes it. Haven't looked at apex, I will check it out. What is the process in order to load a ROM though. I installed a ROM Manager and titanium off the market to use but haven't researched what I need to do to install a custom ROM yet. I ended up rooting it last night though. Main reason i wanted to root was to be able to tether. Installed a tethering app and it works perfectly. However once I understand how to add ROMs I wanna try doing that as well. B/c I wanna get rid of some of the stock apps that I'm never gonna use... (Kindle, Amazon MP3, etc...) So any info on installing ROMs will be greatly appreciated...

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
All ROMs iver tried are as stable as the earth. Anything can happen but we live and thrive in it. The ROMs arent as unstable as Jonecat makes it seem. I rarely run into random reboots or freezes or heat. But switching to ROMs will make you lose ALOT of functionality that the phone already comes with, which is i think why jonecat goes back to stock. And i dont blame him i just hate going back to stock because of that hideous look so i theme my heart out with ROMs.

guest00459

Reaction score
...But switching to ROMs will make you lose ALOT of functionality that the phone already comes with, which is i think why jonecat goes back to stock. And i dont blame him i just hate going back to stock because of that hideous look so i theme my heart out with ROMs.
This pretty much sums it up for me :)

B

michaelearth

Reaction score
All ROMs iver tried are as stable as the earth. Anything can happen but we live and thrive in it. The ROMs arent as unstable as Jonecat makes it seem. I rarely run into random reboots or freezes or heat. But switching to ROMs will make you lose ALOT of functionality that the phone already comes with, which is i think why jonecat goes back to stock. And i dont blame him i just hate going back to stock because of that hideous look so i theme my heart out with ROMs.

What functionality do you lose when moving to a custom rom vs. stock?

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
What functionality do you lose when moving to a custom rom vs. stock?

Basically most ROMs out there will remove Moto's BLUR. BLUR is basically how everything looks and motorola widgets, which arent many, but I particularly miss the social network one since its not a huge battery hog like the FB app. You will also lose Backup Assistant, lose the AWESOME camera app, FM radio capabilities, the lame VZW preloaded Bloatware(which i truly dont miss) and many other subtle but noticeable things. I dont remember them too well since i have not run Stock in ages. But there apps that aim to keep most of those functionalities in place while increasing performance. RubiX Blurry does this wonerfully and it was the ROM i was with the longest, but then switched to the more AOSP or "vanilla" ROMs (just more theme support there). There are ways to get some of the Blur apps back but it gets confusing.

aimless

Reaction score
Rooting is the way to go. I guess, "To each his own..", but from what it seems like you may loose when not stock, you gain in speed, customizing, and functionality!! I couldn't go any other way.

Focused 2.0 DroidX