Root or Not to root...??

michaelearth

Reaction score
What functionality do you lose when moving to a custom rom vs. stock?

Basically most ROMs out there will remove Moto's BLUR. BLUR is basically how everything looks and motorola widgets, which arent many, but I particularly miss the social network one since its not a huge battery hog like the FB app. You will also lose Backup Assistant, lose the AWESOME camera app, FM radio capabilities, the lame VZW preloaded Bloatware(which i truly dont miss) and many other subtle but noticeable things. I dont remember them too well since i have not run Stock in ages. But there apps that aim to keep most of those functionalities in place while increasing performance. RubiX Blurry does this wonerfully and it was the ROM i was with the longest, but then switched to the more AOSP or "vanilla" ROMs (just more theme support there). There are ways to get some of the Blur apps back but it gets confusing.

Alright so are there any roms for the X that allow for the user to choose between blur or a more stock android experience?

From people that i know that have an X, they all seem to say Liberty is the best rom. What is Liberty like in terms of what you said above?

thanks

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Most of the best blurr apps don't rely on blurr framework and can be installed on a blurrless ROM (camera, gallery, moto music..ect). The only things that can't be installed are superfluous battery hoarding apps like social networking service and backup assistant. However there is one moto blurr feature which can't be implemented as AOSP and that's HDMI. Regardless all the custom ROMs can be tweaked to gain similar performance capabilities (blurry or blurrless). The best way to improve performance is to tweak the system level, via overclocking/undervolting, sysctl.conf edits, and build.prop edits; all other tweaks above the system level (ROM choice and app choice) have a negligible effect in comparison; unless they're apps that constantly fetch data from a server or run actively in memory.

Liberty out of the box does not implement the best system tweaks.. just has a cool toolbox which acts a friendly GUI for stuff you could already do in clockwork or terminal. Other ROMs like Rubix focused come pretweaked for improved performance. Apex also implements some nice system tweaks, including cron initiated system cache purge scripts. However the fact of the matter is, is that all the best tweaks can be implemented on any ROM. A persons ROM preference therefore comes down to augmented features like transition animations, toolboxes, ect.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I thought I heard Rubix Blurry has HDMI, right?

Yeah. All blurry ROMs implement blurr-res.apk and the necessary blurr framework components to use HDMI.

{{ WugFresh }}

HaHa, guess I should've figured that one out. Thanks bud.

No worries. Happy to answer questions. I tried packaging select files into a flashable zip to make HDMI work on blurless ROMs but I couldn't initiate the necessary services, so for now the only way to get HDMI working is to run a blurry ROM. But you can start with a blurrless ROM and add lots of blurr and vice versa, you can start with a blurry ROM and de-blurr, as in replace blurr apps with AOSP apps. But like I said early, the best way to improve system performance is to tweak the system level.

{{ WugFresh }}

qman66

Reaction score
While I agree you should root your X, I honestly have not seen much benefit to the custom ROMs in the X community. I have tried almost all of them and come back to stock every time, it is by far the most stable.

So unless you find form more important that function, I would not bother with it. If you do end up going with a custom ROM go with Liberty or Apex, they seem the nicest to me.
i guess each dx is different. because for me stock was by far the most battery draining rom and slowest even overclocked.