need some more explaination on rooting

uzer501

Reaction score
Hi guys!
well ive been doing some heavy research on anything and everything i possibly can so i can jump right in to using my droid x when it finally comes in the mail soon..

my main question is about rooting the phone.. a couple things here. i know this will sound rediculous but i could find a definite answer for "what is a ROM"?? ive been looking though many rooting guides to root a droid X 2.2 but its hard to understand when i dont even know what a rom is..

whats a good rom to get? also i want to back up my phone before i root so that if it turns to a brick i can restore it as if i just took it out of the box.. is that possible? i read its not possible to backup such a thing till after i root so either way, i would love a step by step on how to do so! also i know there are many guides to rooting but i wasnt sure which one to go by so i would like to know whats THE #1 guide to rooting a droid x 2.2 that everyone uses?

thanks for all your help!!

gbright666

Reaction score
Check out droid forum/droid x/droid x hacks and u will find everything u need

I used z4root in the market. Real easy 1touch root button. Just do a fresh reboot first.

Backing up first is not possable as far as I know but after root bootstrap is the way to go.

Titanium backup pro is good for freezing pesky apps.

Hope this helps

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
U

uzer501

Reaction score
ok

thanks for your help.. im still confused on to what a ROM is tho.. ive looked everywhere and couldnt find a definitive answer.. its a real noob question but once i figure that out i will pretty much know what i need to know about my droid... any answers for me?

gbright666

Reaction score
Sorry im Perth green myself and I don't know a thing about roms. Try going to droidfotums/droidx/droidx roms they should be able to help.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

drtrider

Reaction score
Think of it like this. Android is the foundation. The ROM is the house, and the theme is the paint.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Think of it like this. Android is the foundation. The ROM is the house, and the theme is the paint.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I really like that analogy, but to expand a little, a rom is short for read only memory. Its essentially a custom system version which adds certain functionality that is left out of the stock android one.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

MonKENy

Reaction score
but what is the POINT of a rom? Im trying to explain the benefits of rooting to a friend. what is a great rom and what specifically will it do or allow us to do?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
It does a lot of stuff stock doesn't, and the rest of the stuff it does better.

This came from my brain by way of my finger and my phone. Don't ask where any of them have been. Especially the brain.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can't tell you which rom since were on different phones but I will say many roms will give a vanilla experience meaning no or little blur. Also they are designed to speed up the phone and or save battery life. The experience is a little different on a droid x or 2 than it would ba on a droid 1. Some roms made for the d1 will change the entire user interface which afaik hasn't really been done on either of our phones. Essentially though a rom will optimize the performance of the phone while also ideally adding the ability to customize it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
U

uzer501

Reaction score
so..

so a ROM is like a custom theme for your phone? what would be the best kind of rom to have for the DX?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
No, it's not. A theme is a theme. A ROM is a replacement for the OS.

Whichever works best for you. Do some research and see. There's a whole section dedicated to Droid X ROMs.

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
Yeah you cant really get a definite answer because their really isnt a definite answer.(at least in my knowledge) A ROM is basically how your phone functions but not really in how it looks. Some ROMs, but none of the X ones(as far as i know), change how the ui looks. Themes change how things look like. A ROM, depending on the dev, makes your phone faster, more 'snappy', conserve battery better, remove and maybe add new features not available stock. Again it just depends which one you get. Do some more research on ROMs section, there is plenty of info there.

drew

Reaction score
No, it's not. A theme is a theme. A ROM is a replacement for the OS.

A lot of your posts have helped me GREATLY. I think I have a different perspective on the ROM.

I feel the ROM is more like a service pack than a true replacement. The OS is still Android, regardless of ROM. So I'm running the Android OS, with the MIUI "service pack" that gives me new features, enhancements, etc. (and things can go really sideways if the service pack install screws up)

Now that I have my service pack installed, I can now choose to "theme" it which could be considered like Windows 7 with the Aero interface and turning that on/off. Actually, you can even look at Windows XP in the display settings and change the "theme". You're changing fonts, colors, etc (hence the nice "paint" analogy)

I've been flashing all day and flashed my first ROM. There's been a lot of learning today by trial/error and some frustration. I think I finally settled on MIUI that was released yesterday.

OP
U

uzer501

Reaction score
well ive been doing some digging through the rom forums here and would still like to hear an educated opinion on what they think is the best rom for the droid x.. i think i pretty much get it now, that its like an os add on to make it run better.. so what is the rom that everyone strives to have on there dx?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
well ive been doing some digging through the rom forums here and would still like to hear an educated opinion on what they think is the best rom for the droid x.. i think i pretty much get it now, that its like an os add on to make it run better.. so what is the rom that everyone strives to have on there dx?

One that's fast, feature-rich, easy-to-use, stable, doesn't boot-loop their phone, and above all doesn't make their battery cry like a little girl who lost her favorite puppy. :)

If you're looking for a specific ROM then don't. You'll get a dozen different answers from twenty different people. Just start trying them. What works for you won't always work for me, or for him, her, the strange guy in the corner, the woman at the end of the block with a hundred cats, or the cute girl on the bus. ;)