Nandroid backup for idiots guide.

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok I have search for the past hour, this forum, alldroid forums, crackberry droid forums and I cant find the answer. I just rooted my droid, and would like to put on the multi-touch browswer, and most instructions say "make sure you do a nandroid backup", but every search I have done doesn't explan how to do this. I can't move on because of this and its making me really frustrated. :icon_eek: Help please.

tats_06

Reaction score
Ok I have search for the past hour, this forum, alldroid forums, crackberry droid forums and I cant find the answer. I just rooted my droid, and would like to put on the multitouch browswer, and most instructions say "make sure you do a nandroid backup", but every search I have done doesn't explan how to do this. I can't move on because of this and its making me really frustrated. :icon_eek: Help please.

Here is the one I just posted from CyanogenMOD: How to do Nandroid Back UP and Restore

:)

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
im pretty sure that link is not for the Droid. thats not even how you get to recovery mode. uou hold "x" and the power button to get to recovery mode...and for the droid, in order to make nandroid backups and restores you HAVE to install SPRecovery first

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
go to rootyourdroid.info and you can get SPRecovery .99.2b there which is the latest version. this will have a step by step guide as to how to install it as well as making nandroid backups/restores...

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
you shouldnt even need an "idiots guide" its not that hard to do. i installed a month ago with just using the forums and tutorials that are all over the place. im just concerned about all these people asking questions like this whenever it sounds like they shouldnt be messing with it if they dont know what their doing to that extent...ive seen A LOT of questions like this recently and Ill bet we see more bricked droids than ever!! cause from the looks of it people are rushing to root and hack their phones because it seems like the "cool thing to do"..IF YOU DONT FULLY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOURE TRYING TO DO FRONTWARDS AND BACKWARDS BEFORE YOU DO IT, THEN DONT DO IT!! These things can SERIOUSLY damage your phone so learn everything about it BEFORE you do it

OP
HolyGrail

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you shouldnt even need an "idiots guide" its not that hard to do. i installed a month ago with just using the forums and tutorials that are all over the place. im just concerned about all these people asking questions like this whenever it sounds like they shouldnt be messing with it if they dont know what their doing to that extent...ive seen A LOT of questions like this recently and Ill bet we see more bricked droids than ever!! cause from the looks of it people are rushing to root and hack their phones because it seems like the "cool thing to do"..IF YOU DONT FULLY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOURE TRYING TO DO FRONTWARDS AND BACKWARDS BEFORE YOU DO IT, THEN DONT DO IT!! These things can SERIOUSLY damage your phone so learn everything about it BEFORE you do it

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty tech savvy, but even the most tech savvy people are not (right away) going to understand a OS they don't know. Its just after a hour of searching couldn't find a walk through guide on how to do a nandroid backup on the droid. I found guides for the G1 and the Eris, and another guide, but it had broken links. My frustration arose an I got stuck. :blink: I will try your advice and check out rootyourdroid. I did get multi-touch working by the way. :icon_ banana:All I can say is wow, this browser kicks ass. Its smoother then the 2.0.0 That I just upgraded from. No choppiness. Milestone Browser > 2.0.0 > 2.0.1 Thanks again.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
youre welcome man, thats a helpful site. Im not trying to be mean i swear. it just worries me that people arent taking that stuff seriously...ive done a lot of stuff with ROMs and what not and I had a CLOSE ONE just the other day...it was truly scary. the multitouch browser thing really isnt that big of a procedure compared to some of this other stuff with the actual ROMs. And youll probably lose your multitouch default browser if you install a new ROM, just make sure to make nandroid backups before yoh do those things. what the backups do is make exact copies of your system file, data file, etc. all the important stuff in the main parts of your phone, so that if something does go wrong, you still have the exact copies of all those core elements of the phone that make it work...

OP
HolyGrail

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No roms for me, just waiting for 2.1 :) After I do the nandroid backup, I have to figure out how to stop OTA updates, so long night for me.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
youre welcome man, thats a helpful site. Im not trying to be mean i swear. it just worries me that people arent taking that stuff seriously...ive done a lot of stuff with ROMs and what not and I had a CLOSE ONE just the other day...it was truly scary. the multitouch browser thing really isnt that big of a procedure compared to some of this other stuff with the actual ROMs. And youll probably lose your multitouch default browser if you install a new ROM, just make sure to make nandroid backups before yoh do those things. what the backups do is make exact copies of your system file, data file, etc. all the important stuff in the main parts of your phone, so that if something does go wrong, you still have the exact copies of all those core elements of the phone that make it work...

I take you very seriously and I hope others do too. That's why I don't root my Droid even though I do consider myself a bit tech savvy. But after looking at the "how to" I said, "Nope, not for me."

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
No roms for me, just waiting for 2.1 :) After I do the nandroid backup, I have to figure out how to stop OTA updates, so long night for me.

wait, if you want 2.1 then why are you blocking up OTAs?

I take you very seriously and I hope others do too. That's why I don't root my Droid even though I do consider myself a bit tech savvy. But after looking at the "how to" I said, "Nope, not for me."

and thank you very much Hook I appreciate that, and yeah, if someone doesnt feel comfortable about doing these things and doesnt fully understand it then they should not attempt it. Or otherwise they run the risk of totally screwing up their beloved and very expensive device...

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can tell you how to block OTAs, but I just wanna make sure that thats really what you wanna do...cause if your trying to block OTAs in order to keep root, then your still gonna have to install someones official 2.1 ROM that theyve modified for root permissions...

OP
HolyGrail

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't want the OTA 2.1 update because it might patch the root. I want to wait for the fix and do it manually.

OP
HolyGrail

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can tell you how to block OTAs, but I just wanna make sure that thats really what you wanna do...cause if your trying to block OTAs in order to keep root, then your still gonna have to install someones official 2.1 ROM that theyve modified for root permissions...

Exactly. Yes, if you could tell me that would be great.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
right now i am rooted and have a custom 2.1 ROM with modified smoky clear lookin notification bar...but as soon as i hear of an official announcement ffom VZW or Moto, im completely reverting back to stock, in every way. So i can recieve the OTA...but if you have to know how to block them, then the way i know of (which is supposedly the only way), is to find a file called otacerts.zip, and rename it to otacerts.bak, this is supposed to prevent the phone from recieving OTAs...

OP
HolyGrail

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cool, I'll check it out later, getting sleepy now. Thanks man. :)