Well I got a Droid.. already frustrated.. please help

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
Xythil-
Just follow Pilotcharles747 help and follow his lead. and by all means click the link on reply #26! That is if you are hellbent on modifying the thing immediately. I kind of agree with Desmo and leave it stock for a bit.

So much for clicking the link...... Pilotcharles747 does it again......

I am following those directions

They are WAY CRAZY complicated compared to that other guys videos

However so far eveyrthings going fine

Although it did force me to check a box allowing outside programs, is that ok?

also will this create the nandroid and everything I need? after this I can just throw on blackandroid 7 and be golden?

SANhacker

Reaction score
PILOT,
Any chance of making your recent post a sticky ???
Seems like it would save a lot of people a lot of time and you basically nailed the whole process.

Just a thought.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
PILOT,
Seems like it would save a lot of people a lot of time and you basically nailed the whole process.

Just a thought.

only a mod/ admin can sticky a thread. But there is so much more I have how to install swype, metamorph and more: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/25263-seen-some-questions-here-video-droidmod.html

What exactly does this process get me to ? I am currently downloading the ROM file. But there is like 30 steps after that. What do those steps accomplish?

All I truly want is

1) Tethering/Making a wifi hotspot for myself for my PC and Ipod
2) Overclocked to improve preformance
3) Add multitouch /pinch zoom
4) Remove all the lag from my browser/menus so that my movements are instantly picked up by the device, not slightly delatyed like the stock droid

Thanks again for all the help mate

SANhacker

Reaction score
However so far eveyrthings going fine

Although it did force me to check a box allowing outside programs, is that ok?

also will this create the nandroid and everything I need? after this I can just throw on blackandroid 7 and be golden?

You're fine. Yes, it's okay to allow outside programs. Think about it, you are now rooted and need to allow outside programs.

Sure enough, load blackandroid 7 or any other ROM you choose. It's your phone and now that you are rooted, the world is on your plate. With a nandroid backup on your sdcard, who cares what you do. You can always go back to stock. Now it is customized to your liking. Go try any ROM that fits your mood or fancy. Switching from ROM to ROM is like five minutes.

Best of luck and hope this helps.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It will completely root your phone and install the nandroi back up; if you chose to go blackdroid follow these steps after rooting with droidmod:

Before you start make sure u back up your data and apps. Install a backup like titanium backup makes your life easier

Thanks droid life for making this vid, give them some love

follow this first
the main request i've received over the last week has been "can you show us how to install a custom rom?!?" and today i finally had a chance to put a video together. in this video we chose to use Blackdroid's new Ultimate Droid 5.0 over Bugless Beast, but as i've noted in the video, the installation instructions are the same for both so please after this video, do not ask me to do another video for Bugless.
*warning time* - as always, you are performing these tasks at your own risk. we are not recommending that you do ANY of these, but simply providing information to you. there is a chance you could brick your phone or do other permanent damage so please do as much research as you can beforehand.​
before we get started - you need to make sure you've rooted your phone. the best way to do that is by using droidmod1.0 or through this video. you should also install the droidmod1.0 rom which this video will show you how to do. after you've completed those 2 steps, you need to download the file below and then it's on to the video or step-by-step instructions...

download: ultimate droid 5.0 (alt link) (alt link2)

[video=youtube;R65WlXSBCQQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R65WlXSBCQQ&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - How to Install a Custom ROM on a Motorola DROID[/video]
[video=youtube;R65WlXSBCQQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R65WlXSBCQQ&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - How to Install a Custom ROM on a Motorola DROID[/video]​

step by step instructions
step-by-step instructions...
Nandroid Backup Installation Instructions:
-Update & backup any files you wish to restore, this will wipe /data
-Extract the files from the archive using WinRAR or a similar program
-Place the extracted folder (the ROM) into the "nandroid" folder on your sdcard
-Reboot into recovery mode (hold the power and "x" button at the same time)
-Wipe data/factory reset
-Wipe cache partition
-Backup/Restore
-Advanced Nandroid Restore
-Choose backup (select the ROM) "ultimatedroid5"
-Perform Restore
-Enjoy!​
*note 1* update 3/4 - to get back to stock - in theory you should be able to get back to droidmod1.0 by booting into recovery and choosing one of the nandroid backups that droidmod created during its install. once you get back to that recovery image, you should then be able to install droidmod1.0 again and revert back to stock. (any rom pros want to weigh in on that logic?)

*note 2* - for all the support in the world on this rom, visit Blackdroid's running thread here.

*note 3* - metamorph tutorial in the works still.

*note 4* - "will i receive the 2.1 ota official update if i do this?" answer is "no."

SANhacker

Reaction score
All I truly want is

4) Remove all the lag from my browser/menus so that my movements are instantly picked up by the device, not slightly delatyed like the stock droid

Everything you are asking for is available. Just need to be clear about each function and how to proceed. i.e. Multitouch is very common in today's ROM's, overclock is present in some but not all ROM's, tethering is also a preferred option and not every ROM supports tethering without installing a update.zip file with a specific kernel. If you are still there and listening, I would suggest you download Bugless Beast which runs on Android OS 2.1 and his (Pete) current version is .7 as of this writing.

If you want to wifi tether, overclock, etc. he has complete instructions at the following link.
Thread: Bugless Beast V0.7 (ESE53 Beta) New Patchers Available!

If you want to go it alone, that is also an option. I've been patching kernels together for months now with limited success. I rely on the likes of Pete and Chevy to keep me from putting the proverbial bullet in the head. Just my two cents.

devildog9999

Reaction score
PILOT,

Just a thought.

only a mod/ admin can sticky a thread. But there is so much more I have how to install swype, metamorph and more: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/25263-seen-some-questions-here-video-droidmod.html

What exactly does this process get me to ? I am currently downloading the ROM file. But there is like 30 steps after that. What do those steps accomplish?

All I truly want is

Not trying to be mean, or flame, but how long have you had your Droid? The instructions are so VERY clear that it amazes me that you are so frustrated already. The info is all here and rooting, and then further customizing the Droid is really not all that difficult if you did your research. Take a deep breath, read some more, and then move forward when you understand all of the basic terminology. If you really do not understand what all of us have told you, perhaps you should go back and re-read the rooting threads.

By reading what I quoted you saying - you know what you want, but do not know how to do it. All you need to do is read some more, and take your time.

Grabraham

Reaction score

All I truly want is

Not trying to be mean, or flame, but how long have you had your Droid? The instructions are so VERY clear that it amazes me that you are so frustrated already. The info is all here and rooting, and then further customizing the Droid is really not all that difficult if you did your research. Take a deep breath, read some more, and then move forward when you understand all of the basic terminology. If you really do not understand what all of us have told you, perhaps you should go back and re-read the rooting threads.

By reading what I quoted you saying - you know what you want, but do not know how to do it. All you need to do is read some more, and take your time.

Less than 8 hours... XYTHIL- SLOW DOWN- It sounds like you are running before walking and that is all cool and people are trying to guide you along the way but you really would find this all a lot:greendroid: easier if you got to know the phone a little before going down this road ...

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I want to participate in this thread, but I dont know what to do except tell the OP to slow down and take a breath, I know he's only had the phone for a few hours....

+1 for the poster who said the OP should play with his phone for a couple days before trying to root.

devildog9999

Reaction score
Jumping from WinMo to Android, I understand where he comes from... Took me over 2 weeks to "catch up" on the new lingo and get up to speed. Now I am running a linux box, and experimenting with development. :)

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
Alright guys.. Thank you so much for actively trying to help me.

I followed the instructions and now have DroidMod running. I even got tethering working. I was able to use my ipod touch to connect to my droid and was able to play a lag free match of starcraft 2 on my pc. Pretty amazing I now have decent internet anywhere I want it now.

Now that I have a custom MOD installed perhaps you all could answer a few questions of mine.

1) How do I get back to that screen whrre I could choose a MOD?
2) At that screen I saw "stock 2.0.1". If i choose this will it return my phone to factory settings?
3) When I go to options I still see firmware version as 2.0.01. Does that mean I am not running 2.1?
4) What exactly did I do? I know I ROOTed the phone, which gives me full access. I know I then installed a custom MOD. But what where all those packages? Do you have to make those choices everytime you install a MOD? Will any further MODS I install be running on top of DroidMod? Or will new MODs overwrite DroidMod?

A) I want to install BlackAndroid 7. I notice it has the largest community on this site. what is the simplest way to do this? (EDIT i see that video and I will watch it)
B) Does BlackAndroid 7 support tethering?
C) How do I go about overclocking once I have black android 7 installed? Does it require another program or does it come with the ability to do that already?

Lastly some tweaks I am interested in...

What is the best, most slick browser? The stock one feels kinda laggy on most sites. Mind you fully loaded pages, not while loading pages. On a fully loaded page what happens seems to be a bit behind my gestures.

Is there a way to get my phones screen/backlight to turn on when I get a text msg? Kind of like a popup notification?

Is the stock keyboard the best out there or should I look into a different one? Any suggestions?

I think that just about covers it. Thanks everyone so much for being so helpful. I just got this phone like 3 hours ago so yes I kind of did a running jump into the oceans heh.

I really just want to see if i can truly love this phone. The potential is amazing, and the interface is growing on me, WAY less limiting than the iphones. However I still am a little worried about the lag between my gestures and what occurs on screen. I need that to be next to perfect for me to truly love this device!

bacalao

Reaction score
Bro, haha, I was just convincing a few hours ago and now you're rooted and on Droimod! Haha that's awesome. I was really satisfied with the stock 2.1 browser incorporated into chevy's SS ROM, but thought I should give dolphin, opera mini, and xscope a try. So far I'm really liking xscope! Try it out. And also look into mybackup or titanium to back up apps and data as you change ROMs.
Ok to answer the question about keyboard options. I use the hard keybrd 95% of the time. As for soft keyboards, I like the htc keyboard and swype. Try swype, it works pretty good for me when I write quick texts in portrait. Also download handcent for text messages, its off the hook.
You will probably use the SPRrecovery for most other work you do.
I'm sure you made an image of the stock to nandroid restore in case you need to.
The version says 2.0.1 because it was built off that version. If your were to change a newer 2.1 ROM, you would have to do a wipe in SPRrecovery. For ex, you mentioned ultimatedroid v7, you would download their file(s), go into recovery, wipe data and cache, then proceed. After you have a 2.1 based ROM running and you changed to another 2.1 based ROM, you may not have to wipe. This is where having those backup programs would be awesome.
Ok sorry for giving you a long ass rant. Hope you like your new phone, before you start jumping around and turning into a ROM guinea pig like me, play your bad boy for a while. Learn the ins and outs of android and set it up to serve you best.
Over and out

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I missed something, you just got your phone. Thats bad juju ...you are rooted now, but I had assumed you had it for awhile. I would not recommend rooting until you atleast had it a week or 2 maybe longer. The reason why is their may be a hardware issue with the phone and if you root you may not know if it is the phone or the rom messing up. I would recommend you play with it before you start flashing a bunch of other roms for real.