Stupid question time: how do I do a nandroid backup?

OpalCat

Reaction score
I know that I did one in the process of rooting my phone with DMUpdater, but I don't know how to just go and manually do a nandroid backup. Durrr, I know, but searching is kind of useless since nandroid backups are mentioned (but not explained) in like every other thread here.

gatewayad

Reaction score
I know that I did one in the process of rooting my phone with DMUpdater, but I don't know how to just go and manually do a nandroid backup. Durrr, I know, but searching is kind of useless since nandroid backups are mentioned (but not explained) in like every other thread here.

27. Hold 'x' and power button to boot into recovery you will be booted right into the recovery.

28. READ THE RED COLORED TEXT SO THAT YOU KNOW HOW TO NAVIGATE THE MENU.

29. Choose 'backup/restore'.

30. Choose 'Advanced Nandroid backup'.

31. Choose 'Set backup name'.

32. Type a descriptive name for your backup and press enter. For example, I always make mine something like: BuglessBeastOne, BuglessBeastTwo, etc.

33. Choose 'Perform backup'. The chances of you screwing something up without specifically trying to are pretty slim, but we are going to do this just to be sure. An image of your phone's current state will now be made. It will take a couple minutes. With this backup you can always revert back if you don't like the ROM. Keep in mind if you revert back to this image, you will still be rooted with sprecovery. Also keep in mind that you can redo steps 29-33 to do a complete back up of your phone ANY TIME you want.

Here is a great thread to bookmark
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
backup_4.png

You have now successfully backed up your Droid’s system. Next, you will learn how to restore a backup you’ve made.

Step 3: Perform Restore

Navigate to the “backup/restore” menu until you see the 4 Nandroid options. This time we will select “Simple Nandroid restore (latest)”.

backup_5.png

Once again the process is completely automatic. Just like in the backup, you will see a progress bar and informative text. After a few minutes, the restore process will be complete. You will see “(done)” towards the bottom.

Using “Simple Nandroid restore (latest)” is useful if you simply want to return to your most recent backup. However, if you want to restore to a specific backup out of a group, you will need to select “Advanced Nandroid restore”. The first menu option is “Choose backup”; select this.

backup_6.png

You will now be presented with a list of your backups. If you’ve only made one, it will be the only option. Select the backup you’d like to revert to.

backup_7.png

It will take you back to the previous menu where you can select and deselect certain areas of the backup to restore. You will also see the chosen backup displayed on the top. Keep the default options of BOOT, DATA, and SYSTEM checked and select “Perform Restore”.

backup_8.png

After a few minutes, the backup process will be complete. You will see “(done)” towards the bottom. You have now successfully restored your Droid’s system. When you are ready, press power until you back out to the main SPRecovery menu. Select “reboot system now” to reboot and finish loading your backup. Hopefully you won’t ever need to use this, but if you do, it’s a lifesaver that could help avoid frustration.

RootYourDroid.info

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
sorry i put how to restore from back up

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Full System Backup Using Nandroid

by Root Your Droid on Jan.20, 2010, under Guides, Root
As you learned in the Custom Recovery Image guide, SPRecovery is a powerful recovery replacement that allows you to make full system backups. What do we mean by “full system backup?” It is a package created by Nandroid, a utility within SPRecovery, that contains all of the data and system information on your phone. In essence, it’s a direct 1-to-1 copy of your Droid’s software. We can take this copy and save it in case something goes wrong. If we don’t like the way our Droid operates after a certain hack or if we brick it completely, we can take this backup and restore our phone to a working state.
It’s a very simple process and does not require a computer at all. I recommend making a Nandroid backup at least once a month and before every major hack you perform on the Droid. You can never be too safe, and it would be a nuisance to backup to an earlier state that does not have your most recent data. Remember, save often; avoid frustration.
Disclaimer
(1/5)
Requirements:

hr.png

Step 1: Boot into SPRecovery
Power down the Droid completely.
While holding “X” on the physical keyboard, hold the power button to turn on the phone. You may let go of the power button, but do not let go of X.
root_6.png

After a few seconds, a green-gold colored Android logo should appear behind the SPRecovery Console menu.
backup_1.png

You may now let go of X and are now ready to perform a Nandroid backup.
hr.png

Step 2: Perform Backup
From the SPRecovery menu, use the directional pad to navigate to “backup/restore”. Hit the gold, center button to select it. This will open a new menu with 4 options. For now, we will only concern ourselves with the “Simple Nandroid backup”. Select it at this time.
backup_2.png

Once the process has begun, do not power off the phone or press any buttons. At the bottom of the screen, you will see a progress bar showing the progress of the system backup. In orange text, you will also see what is currently operating.
backup_3.png

After a few minutes, the backup process will be complete. You will see “(done)” towards the bottom.
backup_4.png

You have now successfully backed up your Droid’s system. Next, you will learn how to restore a backup you’ve made.

from: Full System Backup Using Nandroid | Root Your Droid

OP
OpalCat

OpalCat

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I did it and now I feel so much better knowing I am backed up! Heh.