Moto Z - how do they choose these names?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
We had the Moto X but no Moto Y and now the Moto Z :)...do you wonder who gets paid to give the Moto Line their "initial"?

Sound off below and how you think the "think tank" works on naming devices!

And as a side note....May the Force be with you :)...I know, I know corny right! But I couldn't resist since that is part of the Moto Z family :)...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Y could be misconstrued as WHY. The Moto Y just doesn't sound right. There's far too many that think the word why is actually spelled Y. But let's not go there with all the misspellings and grammatical errors that seem to be the norm today.
Either that or they're maybe following Samsung with their skipping a number with the next Note.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I agree Y could be taken as why. But once you hit Z where do you go from there? Guess it is time to start thinking up some catchy names.

Tap'd from my 6 Plus

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree Y could be taken as why. But once you hit Z where do you go from there? Guess it is time to start thinking up some catchy names.

Tap'd from my 6 Plus
If they started using numbers, such as Moto 1, it could very confusing when you get a firmware update. "Moto one gets 6.1" . Ummm what? I was already confused when they did a Moto X (I think it was called Droid X?) a few years back then did Moto X again.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><