more sales

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
What Moto should do to appease the tech community as well as not hurt themselves would be to do this:

Ship the phone with an unlockable bootloader (not unlocked, but unlockable). Then on the Moto site have a way to hook your phone up to some software from Moto and unlock the phone. This process would void your warranty and they would have record of it. Is it possible? I don't know, but it seems a suggestion that would appease both sides

Sent from my CushZero using DroidForums

This is something I can get behind. I like the idea of options but being held accountable for your own decisions.

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The problem is out of 100 phones sold by moto, 2 or 3 may be modded by the owners.
Nuff said, they don't really care. Nor will they undermind their own development team and say "hey! Here's a great phone we designed for you! Take it and try to do better.".

i highly doubt the number is even close to this... i would be really surprised if 1 out of every 1000 is modified in any way shape or form. The rooting community accounts for less then 1% of all android phones.

OP
clueless77

clueless77

Reaction score
i highly doubt the number is even close to this... i would be really surprised if 1 out of every 1000 is modified in any way shape or form. The rooting community accounts for less then 1% of all android phones.

I tend to think the number is higher then that I mean just look at the overseas people doing same stuff

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I tend to think the number is higher then that I mean just look at the overseas people doing same stuff

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

okay right now there are give or take 100 million android devices currently active all around the world. Do you really think there are a million rooted phones?

from previous polls ive seen on this forum less then 5% were actually rooted. Currently there are 233k users so that amounts for approx 11k people. Yeah i know this forums counts for a tiny tiny tiny portion of the android community but it gives a good reference of total users.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
okay right now there are give or take 100 million android devices currently active all around the world. Do you really think there are a million rooted phones?

from previous polls ive seen on this forum less then 5% were actually rooted. Currently there are 233k users so that amounts for approx 11k people. Yeah i know this forums counts for a tiny tiny tiny portion of the android community but it gives a good reference of total users.

That's only on this forum, and if you look at ChainsDD's twitter he's said how many worldwide users have updated SU on the market. That's not counting all the installs that don't update. I think its low, but higher than you may think.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's only on this forum, and if you look at ChainsDD's twitter he's said how many worldwide users have updated SU on the market. That's not counting all the installs that don't update. I think its low, but higher than you may think.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

The problem with that metric is the market counts a download everytime someone flashes a rom. In the past two years I'm sure I've flashed at a minimum 500+ times, and I'm sure its way more then that to be honest. So the market isn't counting unique downloads. I highly doubt there's a million rooted. If I had to guess id say 100,000 or less...if that.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Of all the people I know who are using Android devices at least a third of them are rooted, and a few are running custom Roms. Maybe my situation is the exception to the rule, but I find that a lot of people who chose Android devices do so for the opportunity to explore and make it their own.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think there are more people rooted then we realize. During the d1 days it was thought of as a maverick thing. Now with android all over the place and phones getting bloated up and the economy the way it is. People are rooting to remove bloat and some use it to use unauthorized tethering apps. The oems and carriers are responsible for the increase in root users. During the D2 and DX early days people were stuck with apps they could not remove and carrier provided no solutions but hackers did. When the tbolt was released with random reboot issues the carrier again had no solutions but yet again the hackers did. Rooting has gone from badboyism to necessary and the carriers and oems are part of the problem. When iphone users jailbreak they dont do it to fix issues that the oem should have fixed before release they do it to get apps that apple wont allow on their appstore. Had a guy ask about rooting and he kept asking about is there a way to get cool apps and the people kept saying "yeah, its called the market". The guy kept looking for a link to this "special market", while android users figuring this guy is a moron. I caught on that he came from an iphone and pmed him so I can explain the difference between rooting and jailbreaking. So to say the amount of hackers are a small percent, I must say they are small but increasing daily and its because people are getting tired of waiting for the oems to do what they should have done before it hit the shelves and now they are taking it upon themselves to fix the problem.