Insurance Policy for VZW & Asurion

nerdbox08

Reaction score
VZW Warranty - Asurion - ProtectCell - State Farm (insurance)

Many people are questioning the best coverage in terms of insurance for the MotoDroid. I've contacted Asurion, ProtectCell and State Farm in regards to insuring my device and I've compiled a list of commonly asked questions and must know information.

Useful links about insurance
Verizon's Equipment Protection Information

Asurion
Asurion's Device Return Procedure
Asurion's Claim Page
Asurion's Number Lookup for Claims

State Farm Insurance

ProtectCell
ProtectCell Request a Phone claim form

Verizon
Verizon's Extended Warranty
Verizon offers an Extend Warranty with no insurance for $1.99 a month, but this only extends the warranty for manufacturers defects and will not cover a lost, stolen or damaged phone.

Insurance vs Manufacturers WarrantyYour insurance protects you against: lost, stolen or accidentally damaged phones. But what happens if your phone has a defect upon purchase? You do have a standard manufacturers warranty that Verizon themselves will service for you, odds are, with a refurbished device, but at no charge to you. Purchasing Verizon's Extended Warranty will carry you past the time limit the manufacturer offers, keeping you protected in the event of a malfunction.

Asurion
Asurion through Verizon
Insurance must be purchased/added to the line within 30 days of purchasing or upgrading your device.

Contact Number: 888.881.2622

Essentially smart/data phones are considered advanced devices and fall under that category. All information regarding non-advanced devices will be ignored in regards to this thread.

Verizon offers insurance through Asurion for their customers at a rate of $6.00 with an $89 deductible.

Verizon also offers an extended manufacturer warranty + insurance at a rate of $7.99 with the same $89 deductible.

Keep in mind the deductible is non-refundable.

Coverage
Asurion states the coverage for a replacement device as follows: Coverage for your phone if it is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged.

Accidental damage covers everything from water damage to a scratch on the screen. The representative affirmed that any damage, as long as it is accidental, is covered under the plan.

Asurion states that replacement of a device is dependent on what is available in their warehouse. They are under no obligation to make sure the phone is the same color and in the event your device has been discontinued they will offer you a 'comparable' solution. They are also under no obligation to ship you a brand new phone and in most cases you will receive a certified like new phone.

Note:
I was informed that if my device was touch screen and was no longer being made, Asurion could offer me a device that is *not* touchscreen as long as the rest of the features were the same.

Note on modifying your phone
Software is not covered under damage, but instead you will have to speak with either Verizon's or Asurion's technical department to determine a solution for the problem. There is a possibility it can be covered under your insurance if the phone can't be brought back to working order, but the rep would not 100% confirm this.

Claims

• You can file your claim online or over the phone.
  • Your phone will be shipped via UPS or FedEx overnight delivery(excluding weekends).
  • You are allowed to make 2 claims per phone number per year.
Example: I stepped on my phone and make a claim today(January 22nd, 2010), I get my new device tomorrow. I am cruising along in life and I drop the phone into the pool and make a second claim(August 09th, 2010), get my new device the next day. I am then no longer able to make another claim till January 22nd, 2011.

When they ship you a 'new' phone you will receive a battery and a charger with it. You will receive a standard, pre-paid package to ship back your phone.

Asurion offers a guaranteed 30 day malfunction warranty with your replacement device and it could possibly be valid for up to one year depending on the circumstances of the malfunction.

Protect Cell
Protectcell is an independent insurance company that handles cellphones. Here is a breakdown of their information.

Contact Numbers:

• Claim Center: 877.775.3274
  • Corporate: 877.368.6365

NOTE: You cannot charge Protectcell to your Verizon bill AND you have to set up the insurance within the first 30 days of purchase.

Cost
Protectcell offers two packages of insurance. There is no difference between the coverage except for the length. You also have the option to renew at the end of your coverage term.

• One year: 69.95
  • Two year: 119.95
I received different answers whether it was one solid payment or if it could be broken up into installments. You would have to contact your local dealer for a final answer on this one.

Enrollment
Protectcell requires you enroll with their program within the first 30 days of purchase.

You have to visit a local dealer to enroll in ProtectCell insurance. You cannot sign up via the web or by calling their contact numbers. You must furnish proof of purchase with date, etc.

Note: Some dealers are carrier specific. Example: ATT store will not service Verizon phones if the store is a dedicated dealer of ATT. (seems common sense enough, but I thought I would throw it in there).

Coverage
ProtectCell states the coverage for a replacement device as follows: Coverage for your phone if it is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged.

Accidental damage covers everything from water damage to a scratch on the screen. The representative affirmed that any damage, as long as it is accidental, is covered under the plan.

ProtectCell states that replacement of a device is dependent on what is available in their warehouse. They are under no obligation to make sure the phone is the same color and in the event your device has been discontinued they will offer you a 'comparable' solution. They are also under no obligation to ship you a brand new phone and in most cases you will receive a certified like new phone.

ProtectCell does not cover software or accessories, but they also have coverage on the battery in case it gets damaged.

Claims
You are allowed to make unlimited claims through Protectcell insurance, but the price does increase with each claim.

• Claim #1: $50
  • Claim #2: $100
  • Claim #3 and above: $150 - They cap the price of replacements at $150.
  • 2 Day FedEx service which requires a signature unless you specifically decline signature.
  • You must return the damaged device within 10 days.
Note: If you purchase ProtectCell on the same day as the phone will you be covered for damage, but you must wait 30 days before you could make a claim if your phone was lost or stolen.

ProtectCell guarantees a one year malfunction warranty on your device.

State Farm

State Farm offers Homeowners and Renters insurance that will automatically cover your cellphone from date of purchase in the event of fire, theft or vandalism. But they also offer specific coverage for your phone.

If you have a device that cost over $500 you can insure just your device.

Cost: $6.50 per $100. I didn't have a receipt, so they told me to bring something stating value, so I printed directly from Motorola's website the phone specs/price, etc. Motorola lists the phone at $599, so it cost me 6.50 * 599 = $39 (for a year) to insure my device.
Deductible: None

My local State Farm agent informed me that you can insure just your mobile device if it is over the price of $500. You bring in the phone with proof of value and (probably) purchase, they record your ESN for the insurance purposes and you are good to go.

Coverage

• Accidental damage
  • Theft
  • Loss
They will not cover mechanical/warranty issues.

As your phone depreciates in value, it will not effect your ability to maintain coverage, but they will only replace the value of the phone at the time of damage/loss/theft.

Note: The policy is called Personal Article Insurance

Second Note: I suggest using proof of value from Motorola's website instead of your purchase receipt. You might run into problems if you purchased your phone through an upgrade and the receipt says $299. $299 < $500. I don't know for sure.

THIRD NOTE: A few users have noted that they have been unable to get insurance through their local dealers, it seems that each location has the option to provide this insurance at their own discretion. PLEASE call the agent before you make the trip to set up the insurance.

He told me he has his wife's iPhone insured and she cracked the entire screen, it was covered. Seems nice.

Claims
To make a claim you contact your agent then you'll take the phone to a service center(I am assuming Verizon) and State Farm will pay for the cost of fixing it. If it can't be fixed, they will pay the cost to replace the device.

Review of customer service

Asurion: I spoke with two reps and only tripped them up once about one specific detail: Void the warranty via software changes. Phone time wait was low and the reps were very friendly.

ProtectCell: I spoke with 5 vendors, the Claim call center and their Corporate office; of the 8 different people I spoke with, only one person was able to answer my questions with any degree of certainty. The number listed on their website is for the Claim, I had to ask to be transferred to a service rep, at which point I was moved to Corporate. I called Corporate back after getting the direct number and the rep then was very unsure of the answers she was giving me. Wait time for claims and corporate was awful. I sat on hold for almost 30 minutes before my initial call was answered.

State Farm: I think this is dependent on your local agents considering they don't do this type of insurance over the phone or the internet, but my local agent was personable and very kind.

My plan: Going to State Farm tomorrow for Renters insurance and the additional phone coverage.

So those are some options for warranties and insurances.

Hopefully this helps and if you have any suggestions, please leave a reply. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Guchi

Reaction score
I learnd all that from experience
guchi-albums-my-cracked-screen-picture248-picsay-1261292171.jpg

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good Idea

I believe this is a very good investment for your Droid. I carry it on 2 devices

mach330

Reaction score
been debating if i want to keep the asurion. with the $89 deductible, it seems high. after having it for a yr anyways, you can buy the phone at non full price. probably the $199. so basically for $100 more, you get a brand new one. i dunno..i need to break down the math.

OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score
been debating if i want to keep the asurion. with the $89 deductible, it seems high. after having it for a yr anyways, you can buy the phone at non full price. probably the $199. so basically for $100 more, you get a brand new one. i dunno..i need to break down the math.

If it's an older phone, the cost might not be effective.

If you do have a new phone though, especially *cough* a DROID, I think it's worth it :)

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

89 is excessive. Last year when I replaced my Omnia, it was 50.

lumpysherman

Reaction score
When you think of the price to replace a new smartphone it is well worth the price. Too bad we don't get some sort of payback if we never use it but they are in the business of making money and that is how they do it.

Musturd

Reaction score
Let's say you void your warranty on the phone (ex. by rooting)
Will your claim be denied? Should you destroy the phone more if you have voided the software warranty.

(These are hypothetical questions by the way)

OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score

When you mentioned $50, it jogged my memory that it did use to be cheaper than it is now. I called and the rep gave me some crap about devices being more advanced than it used to be, etc.

I do agree, it is a bit excessive, especially when it hasn't always been that price.

But I think in the event of an accident I would rather play $89 than $400-500. >.<

OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Let's say you void your warranty on the phone (ex. by rooting)
Will your claim be denied? Should you destroy the phone more if you have voided the software warranty.

(These are hypothetical questions by the way)

I am going to edit my original post to include these findings, but let me give you what I found out.

I called Asurion back and asked them specifically: If I were to put a customized operating system onto my phone, knowing it will void the phones manufacturer warranty, and it 'bricked' my phone, am I able to file a claim and have the device replaced through the insurance?

The rep informed me that yes, I can file a claim because the phone is damaged(ie: not in working condition). He then went onto say that when they replace the device, they will not replace whatever modifications I have done to the device. His example went like this: if I added a non-removable case to my phone, they would replace the phone but not the casing, etc.

Hope that helps.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

$89 is cheap for this type of device. AT&T charged me $100 for my old (outdated) Tilt and I've heard that for newer Smartphones it's up to $125.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
only reason I have a DROID is because I paid $99 for it had it been $199 out of pocket I honestly wouldn't have one right now. so $89 for a replacement is not in everyone's budget. I know if I broke mine tomorrow I wouldn't not be able to replace mine right away....

-=Jason=-