more sales

clueless77

Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed before, but here it goes. It seems to me that Motorola would sell more phones if they did something as small as unlocking bootloader. Now I know they probably say they do it to keep people from damaging their phones, but damaged phones means more sales. Then they argue that they are losing money on insurance claims, well we all know you dont get a brand new phone on a claim, its refurbished or CPO. This means that the phone has already been paid for at full price once, then again with the deductible.

Also lets say out of every 100 phones sold that conservatively only 20 people actually do any modification to their device and a very small percentage of those people do any damage. I mean with all the knowledge in this forum alone it is virtually impossible to harm your device beyond fixing, save for processor damage. Most people dont even overclock for higher speeds, its usually underclocking for better battery life.

But this is just my opinion/rant lol take it how you will.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Currently the cool and popular thing is ecosystem and seamless functionality. They might make some money from the tech community but they'd lose far more in the very profitable average consumer market.

Being labeled glitchy and unstable is far worse in this market than even an additional 100,000 sales they could have.

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Currently the cool and popular thing is ecosystem and seamless functionality. They might make some money from the tech community but they'd lose far more in the very profitable average consumer market.

Being labeled glitchy and unstable is far worse in this market than even an additional 100,000 sales they could have.

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums

Yep, and thats why they do what they do. There's not much money to be made by catering to the people in the tech community. The great majority of people simply don't care and just want something that works when its supposed to.

OP
clueless77

clueless77

Reaction score
But, and i may be wrong, i dont think that one thing would cause a glitchy and unstable device, i dont even think the average user would even know it was done. If i am not mistaken the D1 in fact had an unlocked boot loader.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
But, and i may be wrong, i dont think that one thing would cause a glitchy and unstable device, i dont even think the average user would even know it was done. If i am not mistaken the D1 in fact had an unlocked boot loader.

I think the problem is it would cause more headache for them to cater to those few then it would to just leave it as is. Yeah the average user won't know, and won't care probably even if they did know, but the tech users will use it to violate their TOS, brick their phones and get replacements etc.

OP
clueless77

clueless77

Reaction score
I suppose, like I said I'm sure its been discussed before and it was only a thought. But also take in consideration that, and again I may be wrong, Moto is only manufacturer of Droid phones with locked bootloader, and Nexus is a dev phone designed for devolping modifications.

Ok I'll shut up now lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I suppose, like I said I'm sure its been discussed before and it was only a thought. But also take in consideration that, and again I may be wrong, Moto is only manufacturer of Droid phones with locked bootloader, and Nexus is a dev phone designed for devolping modifications.

Ok I'll shut up now lol

haha no man, i know what you're saying and i agree with you. it would make it so much easier for everyone if all phones just shipped with the unlocked bootloader but from a practical and financial perspective (all that matters to companies) it probably doesn't make sense for them to do so.

OP
clueless77

clueless77

Reaction score
True true I just think its an un tapped resource, I'm leaning toward Nexus when I'm up anyway lol but I gotta read up on it as it being pretty open out of box kinda takes the fun out of it, heck I brick or try to on purpose just to sbf and get fresh start lol

illmatic636

Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed before, but here it goes. It seems to me that Motorola would sell more phones if they did something as small as unlocking bootloader. Now I know they probably say they do it to keep people from damaging their phones, but damaged phones means more sales. Then they argue that they are losing money on insurance claims, well we all know you dont get a brand new phone on a claim, its refurbished or CPO. This means that the phone has already been paid for at full price once, then again with the deductible.

Also lets say out of every 100 phones sold that conservatively only 20 people actually do any modification to their device and a very small percentage of those people do any damage. I mean with all the knowledge in this forum alone it is virtually impossible to harm your device beyond fixing, save for processor damage. Most people dont even overclock for higher speeds, its usually underclocking for better battery life.

But this is just my opinion/rant lol take it how you will.
The problem is out of 100 phones sold by moto, 2 or 3 may be modded by the owners.
Nuff said, they don't really care. Nor will they undermind their own development team and say "hey! Here's a great phone we designed for you! Take it and try to do better.".

OP
clueless77

clueless77

Reaction score
Well I don't think its so much trying to make the phone better but the OS, but I get it and as I said it was only a thought and wanted to write it down and get opinions

Sorry if I offended anyone :(

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
What Moto should do to appease the tech community as well as not hurt themselves would be to do this:

Ship the phone with an unlockable bootloader (not unlocked, but unlockable). Then on the Moto site have a way to hook your phone up to some software from Moto and unlock the phone. This process would void your warranty and they would have record of it. Is it possible? I don't know, but it seems a suggestion that would appease both sides

Sent from my CushZero using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
What Moto should do to appease the tech community as well as not hurt themselves would be to do this:

Ship the phone with an unlockable bootloader (not unlocked, but unlockable). Then on the Moto site have a way to hook your phone up to some software from Moto and unlock the phone. This process would void your warranty and they would have record of it. Is it possible? I don't know, but it seems a suggestion that would appease both sides

Sent from my CushZero using DroidForums

I believe HTC said they were going to be something like that, but I don't think it has come to fruition yet.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I say people have a chance to put their money where their mouths are. We are about to get a vanilla unlocked device and your wallet is what dictate the market. If the nexus turns out to be the top selling device hands down you do not think moto will release a "developer" device once a year to compete. The market dictate that people dont care they just want social network and eye candy. Right now motorola do not have any reason to switch. The "unlockable" thunderbolt was tripped up by issues and the charge did not get as much love. At the same time motorola's locked devices are still selling. So their position is take the device or leave it.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The problem is, I generally feel that Motorola's hardware is far superior. Their phones "feel" better in my hand. They are also more "industrial" looking (squarish).
I'm not concerned with the locked bootloader as people are going to take chances and find their way around that situation (2nd-init ROMs, bootstrapper, etc). You have to think about it like this, if you make it harder, technical minded people are going to try harder to break that code, or work around it. All you have to do is look at the D2, DX and D2G.
I'm not saying I don't agree, but I think when you look back to the OG Droid, there wasn't much that could break it, save for a bad SBF file. But people still wouldn't own up to their mistakes and just buy a new device, instead breaking the phone or something to file a claim, or claim warranty.
I'm all for helping people fix their mistakes, but if you break it you buy it. "You gotta pay to play," as they say.

Kinda went off on a tangent. I bought a D3, and I'm happy with it so far. I'll be curious to see the Nexus, you can bet I'll be there looking at it on release day.

OP
clueless77

clueless77

Reaction score
The problem is, I generally feel that Motorola's hardware is far superior. Their phones "feel" better in my hand. They are also more "industrial" looking (squarish).
I'm not concerned with the locked bootloader as people are going to take chances and find their way around that situation (2nd-init ROMs, bootstrapper, etc). You have to think about it like this, if you make it harder, technical minded people are going to try harder to break that code, or work around it. All you have to do is look at the D2, DX and D2G.
I'm not saying I don't agree, but I think when you look back to the OG Droid, there wasn't much that could break it, save for a bad SBF file. But people still wouldn't own up to their mistakes and just buy a new device, instead breaking the phone or something to file a claim, or claim warranty.
I'm all for helping people fix their mistakes, but if you break it you buy it. "You gotta pay to play," as they say.

Kinda went off on a tangent. I bought a D3, and I'm happy with it so far. I'll be curious to see the Nexus, you can bet I'll be there looking at it on release day.

No I agree with you "you play you pay" and still there's not much that will break newer phones except processor problems. But like you said Motorola is on top so why change. I also am interested in the Nexus.